Adding "features" to virtual device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding "features" to virtual device

Since a few versions, manually creating a new virtual device creates a device and a child device named "control".
    I do not see any good point about this, making events needs one more step for selecting the feature of the device.

I wish I could at least group many variables (or "virtual devices") as features(children) under one single device.

What is the advantage of having such parent/child device ??
    Can I still use my old child-free virtual devices ???
    Can I copy an old child-free device in a new one, and then use it "normally" ???
    Is there a way to add new features to a device ????
    Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Don't like either the parent/child device but we'll have to live whit that...

As for adding new features to virtual device, if you go in Devices, Enable Bulk Edit, select a feature of the device you would like to add new features and select "copy" in the bulk action button, that way you can add as many features you'd like.

Another way of grouping features under a virtual device is to use Jon00 grouping utility
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4

Comment

Thank you Goldriver, the bulk action did the trick !

Another way of grouping features under a virtual device is to use Jon00 grouping utility
      I feel that most of the clever solutions have the same name : Jon00 ...
      Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
        Don't like either the parent/child device but we'll have to live whit that...

As for adding new features to virtual device, if you go in Devices, Enable Bulk Edit, select a feature of the device you would like to add new features and select "copy" in the bulk action button, that way you can add as many features you'd like.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4
        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Thank you Goldriver, the bulk action did the trick !

I feel that most of the clever solutions have the same name : Jon00 ...
          We should call him the "Fixer"...
          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

On the topic of creating virtual devices under HS4 ...

I too don't understand the benefits of having a root for a virtual device, except for uniformity of processing by HS.

When I upgraded from HS3 to HS4, my virtual devices remained without a Root device created on top. Creating a new virtual device under HS4 does create a Root as well.

So, if like me, you want to keep things simple, simply copy an existing (HS3 created) virtual device, rename the copy and set its attributes. No Root device created needlessly.

Comment

Actually, under HS3, certain devices (like ZWave, that allow scenes and others) do have a root device called something like "ZWave Switch MultiLevel Root" and "ZWave Switch Root Device". These are the ones that actually contain a valid Z-Wave tab that you can use to set the parameters on the device and also do the Test Connectivity, Audit, etc. The rest of of the child devices it creates when the unit is added are there to control each function (each relay, which scene was triggered, on/off/dim level, etc.).

I've just learned to put them into a room like ZWave and just hide the ZWave room in the GUI. Works great. And if I want to mess with the actual device I just click the ZWave room and the all come back. All HS4 did was to require a Root for every child even if there was only one child and there was only one way to control a device. Makes sense programmatically but becomes a real PITA for end users. It's much easier writing code that just enumerates through the same structure than to treat every device separately.

It would just be great, and another reason put behind to get me to move from HS3 to HS4, if there was a setting or flag that could be set in the UI go hide the root/parent devices.

Comment

goldriver can you help a newbie by elaborating on the copy features post? I can copy in bulk but I don’t know how to paste what I’ve copied to my new virtual device (a thermostat in my case).

Comment

To help you better, I would need to know a bit more about your thermostat device, is this a z-wave device, a plugin created device or a virtual device, does it have features already attached to it ?

Please provide a printscreen of your device from the list view of the Device management page

Meanwhile, just to image the feature copy creation for a virtual device, here is the full walkthrough for anyone who might be a beginner...

Here is what I do to create a virtual device with multiple features attached to it:

1- go in the Device tab
                  2- clic on the + button
                  3- select virtual device on the "Add new device" window that opens
                  4- give a name to your newly created device in the "Add a virtual device" window that opens
                  This will create the device and open the device management page where you can set the room, floor, category etc...
                  5- click Save to save the newly created device

Now, try finding your new device (either by narrowing down the serch by selecting a floor and room), you should see your device with a root description (test in this case) to wich is attached a feature (control):

Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	1316
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1523562

Now lets say you want to add a new feature to this device,
                  1- go back to the device tab
                  2- select the "Bulk edit" button

Name:	b.JPG
Views:	1247
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1523563
                  3- click and select the "Control" feature selection box

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	1238
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1523564
                  4- then click on the "bulk action" drop down menu and select "copy" and confirm that you what to copy the feature (MAKE SURE YOU ONLY SELECT THE FEATURE TO BE COPIED)

5- this will create a new feature attached to the root device called "Control Copy"

Name:	e.JPG
Views:	1240
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1523565
                  6- DON'T FORGET TO "UNSELECT" ALL once you are done so you have no surprise...
                  7- from there you can go and edit the new feature name, images etc...

Comment

Thank you goldriver !!! That's perfect!

I'm setting up a virtual thermostat BTW.

Comment

It just occurred to me that we've been adding features to our virtual devices via the above method since upgrading to HS4.

That has to be one of the least intuitive and most awkward ways to accomplish something that really should be simple.

@rjh

Adding a feature would be so much easier and straight-forward if this screen have an "Add Feature" button at the bottom. That would do away with the crazy way we're doing it now:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Virtual Device Features.PNG Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	1523802

Seems like a simple solution to me. Any reason it can't be implemented?

Comment

I think I actually have a ticket open for that. HS said they will be adding a + sign to add features rather than having to go the bulk copy way. That was months ago and frankly I stopped checking all the open tickets because they don't really do anything anyways. The DSC plugin is still broken.

Comment

Anyone know how to get a “feature” to respond to a voice command through Alexa. I have enabled Alexa discovery for the feature, but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BeenHeavyinFlorida View Post
                            Anyone know how to get a “feature” to respond to a voice command through Alexa. I have enabled Alexa discovery for the feature, but no luck.
                            Did you tell Alexa to "Discover Devices" ?

Comment

Working...
                            X