Remote Desktop on XP Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktop on XP Home?

Is it possible to connect to an XP HOME edition PC using remote desktop with out user intervention? I use XP Pro and I have the option but a friend uses XP Home and he doesn't have the option. TIA
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

nope.... Remote assistance is the only tool available stock on XP Home. It requires a user to be local to accept the remote connection.

Comment

I've never tried the remote assitance tool, but what kind of user intervention is required.

For example, if I send an invite from a local machine, what has to be done on the remote machine?

Is it just pushing a couple of "OK" buttons on a dialog, or something?

I wonder if you could have girder push the buttons for you (Have a HS event you access via the web interface that executes some girder stuff that pushes the buttons, and - possibly - enters whatever password you need)

So sequence would be:
      1. Send remote assistance invite to remote machine
      2. Wait a few seconds for the remote machine to respond and pop-up a dialog
      3. Access the HS web interface and execute the event that executes the girder macro
      4. Execute other events needed to complete the process, in order.
      5. Now you're connected to the remote machine.
      John
      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

the remote machine has to send out an invitation, which usually expires after a set time, someone on the remote machine also has to give you full control once you request it (so it doesn't happen automatically), but your thinking is definitely interesting, if you can write something that watches for a certain dialog box to appear and automatically click yes, and figure out how to send out the invitation automatically, this could work.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

how bout TightVNC or RealVNC if this is for temporary assistance? Free, easy to install, changeable ports for firewall issues and only would require the lost friend to launch the app locally. It could also be running as a service, but why bother if this is only for temporary issue?

I would use RDP instead of the above if RDP was available (XPPro). Much better refresh rate and quality.

Comment

Smooth, don't make things too simple. We need a Rube-Goldberg soution, not an easy, sensible solution! Geez!
            John
            Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
            Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
            HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
            Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Take a look at UltraVNC. Reported to be the fastest free VNC available. I run it with a encryption key plug-in for some additional security.

I have used both Remote Desktop and UltraVNC. For a while, I preferred Remote Desktop but the latest versions of UltraVNC have improved and even mimic the "loo-and-feel" of Remote Desktop. Oh...I also prefer UltraVNC now because I wish to use it with XP Home.
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

I agree with Jim and smooth both the VNC products are great I use them every day on both of my machines.

The biggest advantage I find is with connecting to my SBS server VNC allows me to get on as the console screen, where as remote destop starts a new session, if I try to login on as aministrator with remote desktop it would try to start any programs I have in the start up folder again.
                Lance

Comment

Jim

Is this a homemade thing or where did you get it--"Take a look at UltraVNC. Reported to be the fastest free VNC available. I run it with a encryption key plug-in for some additional security."

Thanx
                  Tim
                  FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by fungun
                    Is this a homemade thing or where did you get it--"Take a look at UltraVNC. Reported to be the fastest free VNC available. I run it with a encryption key plug-in for some additional security."

Thanx
                    Tim

kidding, right?

did you try www.UltraVNC.com ???

Comment

No I meant the plugin for encryption he mentioned
                      silly
                      FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

For automatic response to pop up windows

Take a look at Buzof. Cheap and it works great. I have been using it for about 3 years.

Comment

I do this at my home to office all the time but use Netop for it..

Comment

Working...
                          X