Naming conventions for house codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming conventions for house codes?

When setting up your X10 house codes did you follow any sort of naming methodology such as motion detectors on M, lights on L? Or possibly use a zone scheme like Den on house code D, Bedroom on B?

Also, are there any house codes that are better to avoid? I think I read somewhere (don't know where but pretty sure it wasn't here) that house code M might be "noisier" than other codes.

Terry

I put all my virtual devices on V and I give them the location name of Computer. Then i organize all my devices by Floor Level(Basement, First, Second). Other than that i don't worry about letters, house codes or numbers. I just put them where there is an open spot.

Comment

Hi,
      Avoid A as motions will default to A when changing batteries.
      stuart

Comment

I use the letters to indicate the room. Like Eric's room is E, Master bedroom is M, etc.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What timing.

I am home and sick today so I thought I would redo all my X10 devices and finally get a scheme of some kind going.

If you guys are doing rooms by housecode, how do you handle something like an "all lights off" command from a bedroom? I was thinking about reserving 8 on/off on each house code for an all lights on/off for the house, and reserving 7 for a daytime/night time scene for each room. 1-6 are for devices in each room. 9-16 would be for other macros or motion detectors.

See any down sides to something like this? Is the fog of this fever making me miss something?

Rob

Comment

Naming

House code seems to be "occupied" whenever I used "Find Other Computers" in Active Home.

Comment

Outbackrob,

Glad I could help. Been dealing with sickness the last couple of days too but wasn't near a computer so all of the questions have backed up. Obviously I am just setting my system up but one thing I did was put "all lights on/off" on unit code 1 on the palm pad for the den. That way the conversation would go like this:

"How do I turn on the @#$% lights?"

"Just push the top button, honey."

This would also work for unit code 9 with slide switch to the right.

Terry

Comment

Oh! You wanted WAF too, huh?

Originally posted by tpriest
                Just push the top button, honey

Is it actually possible to have a perfect naming convention that has a high WAF value too?

I like the idea of the all lights on for 9 instead of on the first 8. Might also do all outdoor lights on 10 for when she hears a "noise".....

Rob

Comment

Better codes than others?

I have been using X10 type products since 1987 (GE HomeMinder) and have always used basically the same codes. I seem to remember a thread discussing different house codes and which ones were stronger or noisier, and which ones didn't work as well with stuff like Ninja's or remotes. I tried to find the thread but couldn't. Anyone have a link or similar information?

Maybe we could put together a list for newbies (and old farts like me) to get people started off on the right track. I know everyone has their own ideas about what works best, but maybe this could be a general guide to help folks start their own naming conventions. ???

Rob

Comment

Some of my house codes of the top of my head:
                    • A-C - RF Units
                    • D-G - Keypads (Touchlincs, Winamp, Scene control, etc)
                    • H - HVAC Control
                    • J - Sprinkler valves, pumps, fans, etc
                    • K - Accent Lighting (spots, under cabinet, uplights, etc)
                    • L - LED outputs (LED's on Leviton 4 button keypads)
                    • M - Messages from HMS-OnQ Panel to/from HS
                    • N - Upstairs Lights
                    • O - Outside Lights (Porch, Lamposts, Floods, Trim, etc)
                    • P - Downstairs (1st level lights, Kitchen, Fam room, den, etc)
                    There are some others that I've missed that are intersperced (basement, etc) but I think it gives you an idea.

Comment

Sorry...I meant to say housecode M seems to be occupied. I think it might be populated by my wireless security system although I have it programmed for housecode A.

Whenever I use "find other computers" in ActiveHome I see housecode M in red for all 16 devices.

Comment

Is there any way in Homeseer to see populated housecodes?

Comment

mcsDeviceGrid

Originally posted by TZD
                          Is there any way in Homeseer to see populated housecodes?
                          The closest thing to the ActiveHome app is mcsDeviceGrid that you can get off the Updater. However, the only "populated" housecodes you have should be listed in your Devices area. If ActiveHome is showing other devices, you either have noise or your neighbors are running X10 too.

Comment

I like to keep all the basic lighting on A, when possible. I have a 1200sq ft home and this works fine, since I use multiple modules set for the same code in each room. For example, all lights in the Living Room is A2.

The outside lights are all on E (except for the ones on C that I'm too lazy to change because I have a bunch of old scripts written for them - <ha>)

Your need for naming will depend to a large extent on how much you code versus how much you go with the defaults for X10 devices. Most of the latter default to housecode A.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X