HS on Windows or Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS on Windows or Linux?

I am in the process of replacing a Macmini with a newer model and I havent been able to figure out why my HS Pro box keeps freezing every once in a while. My other problem is that I really have no knowledge of Linux. So my plan is to install VMWare on my old mac. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if HS runs better on Linux or Windows? Or does it really matter? I was thinking windows 10 might work better just because I am familiar with it a bit, but again, I am just looking for input here on what Operating system to install to run on VMWare Fusion. Thanks,

Isn't the Mac sort of like Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
      Isn't the Mac sort of like Linux?
      last I read, sounds like HS isn't super reliable to run on Mac OS.

Comment

I am running on Win10. The only things on this box are HS4, IIS server for a few web pages, and a few servers necessary for my HS4 installation: node-red, irTrans etc.

The box is an Intel NUC mini-PC.

This has been very reliable. When box is booted, I auto login and auto-start all of the servers, including HS4.

I've configured it to NOT auto-install Windows Updates, although I manually keep current.

My recommendation is strongly WIN10. I know that goes against other recommendations on these forums, but I read almost every new forum post daily, and there are a lot about
        HS Linux compatibility. Not all plugins are supported under Linux, and scripting under Linux (Mono) is continually reported here as problematic.

Just my 2 cents.
        tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
          I am running on Win10. The only things on this box are HS4, IIS server for a few web pages, and a few servers necessary for my HS4 installation: node-red, irTrans etc.

The box is an Intel NUC mini-PC.

This has been very reliable. When box is booted, I auto login and auto-start all of the servers, including HS4.

I've configured it to NOT auto-install Windows Updates, although I manually keep current.

My recommendation is strongly WIN10. I know that goes against other recommendations on these forums, but I read almost every new forum post daily, and there are a lot about
          HS Linux compatibility. Not all plugins are supported under Linux, and scripting under Linux (Mono) is continually reported here as problematic.

Just my 2 cents.
          I appreciate the input. I just keep having problems with my Hometroller I purchases a while ago and felt maybe taking this opportunity to load up a virtual machine might make sense. I have more familiarity with Windows than Linux, which means I might be able to muddle through problems better. Curious... what are those applications you mentioned and what do you use them for? (node-red, irTrans)

Thanks!

Comment

I would agree with Ed - Windows. I run mine on Windows Server 2016 as a Fire Daemon service and it has proven to be an incredibly reliable and stable platform. Never once has it or homeseer crashed, and it's almost 4 years now. When I was thinking on moving to HS3, I too was at a cross-roads trying to decide between Windows and Linux - and I'm not unfamilair with UNIX either. I just didn't want the hastle of incompatibilities.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'd say what ever you are comfortable setting up and managing. If you are a Linux guy go Linux, if you're a Windows guy go Windows. Just ensure all the plugins you want to use run on Linux as a few still haven't been ported.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I run HS on Linux and it has been very stable. I had no issues installing it on a Kubuntu 18.04LTS laptop. That being said, I have been a Linux user since before the turn of the century and exclusively Linux (save for Window 7 on a VM that is there only to run a few legacy applications) for over a decade, so it is second nature to me now.

Linux is unquestionably more configurable, and more secure, than Microsoft or Apple operating systems. But, there is a learning curve. Usually, the best way to get things done in Linux is through the command line interface and most of the support you will find will lead in that direction.

If you were starting from scratch I would say start with Linux. But since you are familiar with Windows, stick with it for now and do a Linux install on an old machine or as a VM or dual-boot to familiarize yourself with its various attributes. You may find as I did that you prefer Linux to Windows and you can migrate HS at that time.

Comment

Ignoring the OS wars, one challenge with using the Linux version is that HST is not a Linux native developer and are demonstrably deploying/recommending/supporting older versions of Linux and Mono that are frequently buggy, insecure, and outdated. If you prove to be knowledgeable enough to solve those issues on your own, you may find yourself running something that HST will refuse to support should you run into issue. Depending on your own expertise that may be an issue.

I'd also question if the helpdesk personnel are equally proficient in Linux and Windows when it comes to first line of support, should you feel that is important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                    Ignoring the OS wars, one challenge with using the Linux version is that HST is not a Linux native developer and are demonstrably deploying/recommending/supporting older versions of Linux and Mono that are frequently buggy, insecure, and outdated. If you prove to be knowledgeable enough to solve those issues on your own, you may find yourself running something that HST will refuse to support should you run into issue. Depending on your own expertise that may be an issue.

I'd also question if the helpdesk personnel are equally proficient in Linux and Windows when it comes to first line of support, should you feel that is important to you.
                    FYI.

Running on up-to-date Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and latest stable mono without any issues.

---
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

FYI.

Running on up-to-date Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and latest stable mono without any issues.

---
                      John
                      I'm using the latest stable mono as well. No issues here. I haven't updated the laptop to 20.04 yet as it is in the electronics closet and is only used for HS.

Comment

I didn't suggest you couldn't run other versions, I'm just say since it's not the installed version, HST may claim no support of your configuration.

Comment

I really hate these threads. Rupp has the right idea. Go with what you are comfortable with but make sure that the OS version of Homeseer can support what you want. HS Linux has a few things missing from its Windows counterpart but there are sometimes ways around it.
                          Jon

Comment

John245 and I were providing input about what works for us, which is what the OP requested. I can't speak to the performance of HS on Windows because I have no recent experience with Windows.

Nor can I provide any information regarding HST support for Linux. Since I have had no call to use it, any comment would be pure speculation on my part.

As stated in my original post, I think as Rupp does that the best course of action is to stick with Windows if that is what is most familiar. If Linux as piqued your curiosity, take a version or two for a test drive and see how you like it. If it has attributes that appeal to you, then you can experiment further with HS on the Linux platform. If you find that Linux isn't your cup of tea, stick with Windows.

Comment

I agree with Rupp and some others... If you find a reason why use one in favor of the other... go for it.

My experience with HS4 for linux has not been the best... Mono is most of the time a pain in the behind for me, sometimes when you try a new plugin, you have to add something to linux... reason why my "production" hs4 works on Windows... at the end of the day, HS's Z-Wave software, HSTouch Designer and Allonis MyServer (which I used together with HS) runs on windows so I have to have a Windows machine anyways... reason why I won't bother with Linux at the moment but I have a couple more licenses for RPi and one HS4 std to play with on Linux...

UltraMon3 Plugin and Eaton (Jon00) / BLUps plugins on top of the aforementioned reasons are of paramount importance to me so.. no linux... but this is MY case and does not has to be yours...

I've been tempted to buy a Chuwi Larkbox Pro just for HS4, z-wave and the Designer since it is tiny... Today I run all that was mentioned including iTunes in an Asus PN60 with NVME and 16GB of RAM... actually 6 will suffice for a dedicated Windows HS4 machine... your mileage may vary..

If you want the Best HS4 linux experience (according to me, a not so brilliant person) and the 5 PI limit is good enough for you.... the HS4-Pi running in a RPi is awesome...

HST: Here's an idea... Rise the plugin level for a RPi-4 based HS4 you can call HS4-Pi-Plus up to let's say 15, add some $50 to the price and keep image based product like today's... I would upgrade for that any day of the week....

Each time you change something, back it up and you'll be ready if something goes sour... I have experienced catastrophic failures in both... once again... I'm just a regular user.

My biggest advice is to dedicate whatever computer/OS you choose to HS and somewhat complementing software and avoid everything else.

Today this is how my HS4 looks plugin-wise... I can start them all and it won't bat an eyelid... average utilization (including Allonis and iTunes) is 20% as it is today and 30% with everything on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-10_16-21-41 Plug-ins.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1446919

My 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002 cents folks...

Comment

Working...
                              X