Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your most reliable/oldest hardware still in use with your HA setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your most reliable/oldest hardware still in use with your HA setup?

...for me it has to be my ADI Ocelot and associated I/O modules (SECU16 & SECU16i). I purchased these around 2002-3 under Homeseer 1 and they have never failed since installation. I still use C-MAX programming for operation of some of my devices. Everything is seamless in HS via the excellent GTS CPUXA plugin. To date, I have never found a better combo for I/O and its expansion capabilities.
    Jon

I have several X-10 modules from the late 1980s and 90s that are still in service. I even have a few IBM branded modules in my Christmas automation boxes. I was one of the lucky users who never has a lot of X-10 issues. I have several modules in my unheated barn some 500' from the house and another set in an underground pump house some 150' that I'm not sure how I'll replace when the time comes.

Barry

Comment

My oldest device is my Stargate. I started with it in 2005, used the Stargate plug-in with HS2 for a while before migrating most functions to HS. I am still using it for its digital inputs, IR outputs, and relays. It is also providing some autonomous control for my automated gate. I use ASCII commands for communication with HS. It has run 24/7 for years without any major issues. The only "maintenance" I've performed on it has been to power cycle it every few months.

One of my Russound CAV 6.6 receivers and UNO zone controllers date from 2006.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        ...for me it has to be my ADI Ocelot and associated I/O modules (SECU16 & SECU16i). I purchased these around 2002-3 under Homeseer 1 and they have never failed since installation. I still use C-MAX programming for operation of some of my devices. Everything is seamless in HS via the excellent GTS CPUXX plugin. To date, I have never found a better combo for I/O and its expansion capabilities.
        I agree my ADI Ocelot and modules have been rock steady. Never rebooted or restarted them in over 20 years. They have always been powered on as well as they are backed up by UPS.

Comment

X10 continues to function just fine these days for me. My OmniPro 2 panel also continues working with no user interaction these days.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

For me it's my Way2Call box...
            Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Just waiting for my new Ocelot to arrive today. I had the Cpuxa version pre Ocelot and had replace the com chip and one additional chip in the unit. About two weeks ago this thing died. It had been ultra reliable. Cant complain after 20 plus years. The Secu 16's are still running quite well on my back up Leopard. I also have an old Heathkit power supply that is the heartbeat of all my 5, 9 and 12 volt devices.

Stuart

Comment

Definitely Stargate. I usually go 3-4 years without touching it and then only to do something new with it. I use the inputs to monitor a lot of things controlled by Homeseer and other platforms and there are countless times when it has provided early warning that something has failed to do what it was supposed to do. I also prefer the Stargate logic engine which allows you to trigger things based on a set of conditions like "when it is dark outside and the garage door is open then turn on the garage light". With trigger based logic you need a garage door opens trigger event with a dark outside condition PLUS a dark outside event with a "garage door is open " condition. Not nearly as nice!

Every year or so I look at migrating the remaining fuctionality to something newer and each time I am disappointed at my options so I end up leaving it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                  Just waiting for my new Ocelot to arrive today. I had the Cpuxa version pre Ocelot and had replace the com chip and one additional chip in the unit. About two weeks ago this thing died. It had been ultra reliable. Cant complain after 20 plus years. The Secu 16's are still running quite well on my back up Leopard. I also have an old Heathkit power supply that is the heartbeat of all my 5, 9 and 12 volt devices.

Stuart
                  If you need a couple of Secu16's or Secu IO relay controllers, let me know, I have a couple spare. I'm still planning on continuing running my HS 1.7 system on the older Ocelot and will begin hooking up the new Ocelot and Secu16 to the new machine soon. The nice thing about digital input, is that I can just run one wire to the other (1's are 1's, 0's are 0's) and this way both can see and or control all the stuff that the 1.7 Ocelot sees.

Comment

Here also still using Way2Call boxes, Digi Edgeports, Russound and Quatech 4 port servers. Here have my Ocelot stuff when going to the HAI OmniPro 2 panel.

@George...thinking you were at the Orlando EHExpo Homeseer dinner party when the ADI guy was there with us in the early 2000's.

- Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Since the 80's I have an audio "public announce" amplifier 25V connected to several loudspeakers. Intelligent switching was originally by stargate's relay, now with arduino.
                      I am now trying all-house TTS and audio with some google-home minis, but still use my old setting for the many bugs remaining in GH.
                      Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Here also still using Way2Call boxes, Digi Edgeports, Russound and Quatech 4 port servers. Here have my Ocelot stuff when going to the HAI OmniPro 2 panel.

@George...thinking you were at the Orlando EHExpo Homeseer dinner party when the ADI guy was there with us in the early 2000's.
                        Oh heck yes, and I have pictures of the people at the dinner table. I'll post if I can find them on my NAS!
                        If you remember, we picked up Rich's and his wife's tab.

Comment

X10 PalmPads still in service. Talking to a W800 RF via serial port. Also a Midon Design Temp05 connected to the same serial port server.
                          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Yeah here still using the W800's here too.

I had one Temp05, 2 Temp08's on line using mcs-xAP and have switched over to using a sort of hub and spoke 1-Wire set up with Sonoff basic devices today.

I can do 5 1-wire temperature sensors per Sonoff device and utilize mcsMQTT today for reading temps.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Yeah here still using the W800's here too.

I had one Temp05, 2 Temp08's on line using mcs-xAP and have switched over to using a sort of hub and spoke 1-Wire set up with Sonoff basic devices today.

I can do 5 1-wire temperature sensors per Sonoff device and utilize mcsMQTT today for reading temps.
                              Pete,

Can you tell me more about how you have the 1-wire devices connected to the Sonoff Basic? A link would be great. I'm planning on building a greenhouse this Spring and it would be nice to have some 1-wire devices connected via WiFi.

Thanks,
                              Ken
                              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                              X