Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your most reliable/oldest hardware still in use with your HA setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kenm

It is documented here under the mcsMQTT sub forum going back to year before last...

SonOff basic WiFi seeing Sensors with mcsMQTT

I maxed it to 5 1-wire temperature sensors to one Sonoff basic. Thinking you can do more. I put one 1-wire sensor on my multifunction GDO SonOff basic and one 1-Wire sensor on each of the modded magic home controllers for my kitchen LED lighting.

Before this and after the TempXX stuff went to using RPi OWFS servers hard wired to the 1-Wire network. It would be great to be able to just add the entire OWFS library to an Ardunio / Wifi basic device. Maybe someday. I think there is a OWFS to MQTT plug someplace out there in internetlandia.

Same devices that connect to Homeseer via mcsMQTT also connect to Home Assistant.

Note this is only for Temperature and Humidity sensors. The Omnistat thermostat below is serially connected to the OmniPro panel which is seen by Homeseer / Omni plugin and Home Assistant Omnilinkbridge plugin. Some of the temperature / humidity sensors below are connected to the OmniPro 2 panel. I keep adding sensors. Attic down to the second floor and basement up to the first floor and outside.
    Thinking I started to play with the 1-Wire sensors in the 1990's so other than X10 (started in the late 70's) 1-Wire stuff is really old now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HA-Temps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	1448414
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

ISY(controller for insteon switches.) Been installed for over 10 years. Although I had to changes some switches over the years the ISY has been flawless. Even though it's now controlled by HS the lights being turned on at sundown is still programmed directly in the ISY and it hasn't failed to trigger once in over 10 years. Solid piece of hardware.

Comment

I am just in the process of migrating my HS 1.7 configuation to HS4. Over the 18 or 20 years I've been running HS, I've accumulated a lot of scripts. I think everyone of them requires rework to run in HS4. I'm still running a CM11a, W800, Temp05, edgeports, lots of X10 lamp/appliance modules, still have a couple of X10 cameras in use, a couple of ninjas running on CM19a for ninja control, Dallas 1-wire (although it's not doing well), and probably other stuff that I can't recall. I had my HS1.7 system run without a reboot for 258 days.

Comment

X-10 modules (~1999), CM11a (~2001), W800 serial port (~2006), Digi Edgeports, Rain8 (~2007) all still in use. My x10 has been the best bang for the buck, by far.

Thanks
          Gary

Comment

X10 Leviton 6330-I 240V Appliance In-line module (June 1987)

It is actually so old that I couldn't find a single reference to it on the internet.
            ARPANET adopted TCP/IP in 1983, and modern Internet took on a more recognizable form in 1990....

Let me know if you find something on your end or own/know this module.
            Actually, even Leviton probably lost track of it because they reused "6330" for a more recent / different module.

Funny to see the instructions; now looks like it was done by a clerk, one at a time, with a typewriter and some papyrus paper

It is the only X10 module type remaining in my setup ( I have 4 of these used for infrared patio heaters and some other 240V devices)
            The CM15 is now dedicated to these modules only - not a very busy controller....

I didn't change them as they are, as the post title says, "very reliable":
            they've been outdoors in weatherproof enclosures for years (temperatures ranging from -35C to +35C, welcome to Canada...)

And unfortunately I guess, I couldn't find any replacement solution :
            • North american Split-phase 240V
            • In-line module
            • Decora style
            • Fits a single gang box
            • No external power required (Contactor solution for instance which would be my backup plan but wouldn't fit a single gang box)
            • Wifi based (IE: Ideally not requiring a new hardware bridge - I don't plan on deploying Zwave unless absolutely necessary; maybe Zigbee as I'm looking at some Zigbee exterior door locks)
            If you know/own a module that fits these requirements, let me know as the 6330-I will turn 35 next year....
            I guess planned obsolescence was not invented yet in 1987 😁

Cheers,

Yann

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-08_163811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	1467738

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-11-29 12.05.45.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	1467739

Comment

An XAP800 unit serving audio to every room is running 24/7 for many (10+) years now.
              - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
              HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
              PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

For me the UPB install in original HS days continues to be mainstream with my automation. The one-wire network for temperature in each room and other monitoring including the whole house energy are also going strong with similar install dates. Ocelot died about 5 years ago. Wired X10 degraded. Cameras are generally replaced with higher resolution. For replacements and new functionality I tend to use WiFi for general purpose and Zigbee for battery-operated sensors.

In general I find obsolescence to be more of a driver as rationale to change automation equipment. Software tends to become obsolete before the hardware. This has become more true as security awareness has heightened. While industrial equipment has a longer lifetime it is not as sexy as the cutting edge consumer equipment that benefits from economy of scale.

Comment

Here all of my in wall automated switches are UPB (now old I guess) - transition relating to in wall switches was X10 ==> Insteon ==> UPB.

My Leviton OmniPro 2 panel talks fine to UPB along with Homeseer 2,3,4. There is also a upb2mqtt plugin which I am using today which works fine.

I still utilize X10 for the Landscaping lighting and Christmas lighting today. Initially was using X10 relays on each of the 4 AC transformers for the Landscaping lighting...nothing else worked (UPB, ZWAVE or Zigbee) until I went to LED landscaping lighting. IE: still using and purchased more of the old Black and Decker outdoor Freewire modules.

Tested and built small ZWave and Zigbee networks but never used them much over the years.

In house #2 trying all in wall WiFi switches modded with Espurna-Tasmota, Ring Wireless alarm with MQTT integration, Alexa devices managed by Alexa Media player

...well everything is wireless and personally never wanted to use wireless for automation or media distribution...That and I am not tethered to my cell phones (5 accounts); never have been....IE: shut them off when in the house except for one CPE modem in the house.

House #2 is going to only utilize MQTT for automation transport. IE: Homeseer will only be talking MQTT. Current automation box is using an ARM CPU with 2Gb of RAM...gonna switch it to an Intel mini box with 4-8 Gb of RAM...
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Mine is probably my Elk Alarm System.
                    A computer's attention span is as long
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

Mine is the horstmann zwave thermostat and heating control zwave devices. Was a nightmare to get working, but they've been working for 10 years now and never failed me. Next ones are the original fibaro dimmers, still have 3 of them going strong.
                      Just as an aside, I will say the aeotec and fibaro sensors have been ok, but eventually got phased out due to battery just not lasting above 5 or so months - I've also had one of each vendor die randomly and stop working.

Now for the worst devices, I'd say anything by Ikea. Motion sensors eat batteries and last basically a month, switches aren't too far behind. Their blinds last 3-4 months on one charge being used twice per day. I've had 2 of their zigbee wall plugs cause havoc and stop working. No Ikea device has lasted more than 12 months before being removed or given up on.

Comment

Working...
                      X