Led power driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led power driver

Is there a manufacturer that makes an led strip power driver that could handle something like 8 or 10 led 16ft strips that would connect to a zwave device so the big power does not go through the zwave? In my livingroom I am thinking of putting up lots of strips around the top of the walls. But most devices will only handle 10 amps at 12 volts. I would think there is a device to put between the zwave output and the leds strips so all the power does not have to go through the zwave. My question seems clear as mud doesn't it.
    A computer's attention span is as long
    as it's powercord.

Have a look for an led amplifier. You can control many strips all with one controller and multiple power supply. Something like this one.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

There are power supplies that will handle that level of lights. You would have to power inject every strip or three depending on what you use. Or power each strip from the power supply. Could you connect the power supply to the z-wave switch? I have LEDs set up that way in my basement.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      242 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      37 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

Comment

The strips say they can draw 5 amps (60 watts @ 12 volts.). I guess that is with RGB all on at full level. The dimmers I have are ZooZ zen31. the manual says:
        • Maximum Load: 10 A TOTAL between all channels (6 A per channel max); 120 W total at 12 V DC / 240 W total at 24 V DC
        What I have found is that if I use 2 strips together it provides enough light. So I *could* put 2 strips in series and use 24v. That would cut the current requirement. Then I would only need the 5 amps for each area (3 walls need to be lit up). But if I want to do the whole living room, I would use 6 RGB strips and 6 White strips. That would be 15 amps for the RGB strips and 9 amps for the white strips (They draw about 1.5 Amps). I could use the full RGB and make white, but I like the real white LEDs. They just look better. So if I wanted to do this in this way, I would need 4 channels with each one able to handle around 5-6 amps per channel when on 100%. I would hope there is a cheap driver of some sort that is commercially available. But I might just have to build one myself. I think I could do this with an NPN power transistor and a base resistor, ignoring any circuitry to protect for a short circuit, but I was hoping there were commercial devices I could get for cheap around 5$ each and then buy 1 for each channel and only be out around $20. But I will still look. I have a 12V 30A power supply I bought from Amazon (amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG) and it is working for my Elk amps to distribute the audio throughout the house. Thanks!
        as it's powercord.

Comment

Ok, searching for an "LED Amplifier" I found: https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Con.../dp/B071F4D5SD
          So this might just work....

Thanks to Enigmatheater for the search words...
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Since you are running RGB or RGBW strips I would suggest you look at something like WLED to run the lights. There is a lot of information out there about RGB LEDs with the Christmas decorating community. Since you are indoors strips are fine. Outdoors they tend to have a short life unless you are in a climate with consistent temperatures year round. This article, Getting Started With WLED on ESP8266, is a good write-up. You COULD power the arduino board from that with a switched receptacle if you wanted. I never tried so and I cannot say how fast the response would be. You can also use mcsMQTT to control the WLED and there are current threads on that as well.

Most of the Christmas Display folks run their lights at 30%. You still use a power supply and plan on one which is larger then your needs. The suggestion is to go with one so your max load is 80% of the capacity. Their recommendations are typically Meanwell power supplies. Any of the Christmas Light tutorial websites can give you a lot of information, or the folks on DrZzs Discord server. They have a channel on LED Lighting and will get in a voice chat with you if needed.

Power Injection is the big thing. On the DrZzs discord the LED folks have these as a group of on-demand references. Even the first will apply even though it mentions Christmas:
            Solutions for Power Injection & Data Signal Boosting Permanent Christmas Lights:by Dr.zzs YouTube
            Power Distro Power Injection by:Bill Porter YouTube
            Ever Wonder Why You Pixels Flicker and How to Fix It by:Keith Wesley YouTube

What is Power Injection? At its lowest level power injection is nothing more than adding additional power to a string of lights at a point in which the voltage drop starts to affect the lights more info here
            This is a great calculator to help with judging the size of wire , power supplies , distance ,votage drop and much more RGB Pixel Power Calculator
            How much power do addressable LEDs use?, Digitally Addressable LED Sheet info found here

Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            242 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            37 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

Comment

Working...
            X