IP Address Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Address Questions

Am running on WIN10 machine. Am I able to setup HS-4 with a static IP address?

Does the HS-4 server(?) have a different IP address than the Windows machine it is running on?

Thank you,

Am I able to setup HS-4 with a static IP address?

Yes.

Does the HS-4 server(?) have a different IP address than the Windows machine it is running on?

No.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
    Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

To expand on Pete’s point, there are two ways to do it:

1. set a static ip in Windows 10 networking settings

2. set a DHCP reservation in your router.

I use option 2 as I can configure IP addresses for my network in a central location rather than fiddling with the network settings on each device (given that virtually all devices default to DHCP).

Comment

Originally posted by marthoc View Post
        To expand on Pete’s point, there are two ways to do it:

1. set a static ip in Windows 10 networking settings

2. set a DHCP reservation in your router.

I use option 2 as I can configure IP addresses for my network in a central location rather than fiddling with the network settings on each device (given that virtually all devices default to DHCP).
        I like #2 too but some routers have limits. For instance, my TP-Link only allows 32 address allocations. Hence, I have to limit address allocation to devices that must have static IPs but don't allow setting static IPs. To make it a bit easier I keep a list with all devices on static IP along with the IP. Still, you will have to go to the actual device to set the IP.

Comment

Pete & marthoc - thank you for the replies; taking your advice and using the MAC addresses to assign IP addresses in the router.

Comment

Many / most combo router/switch/firewall/AP's today let you dynamically redo the subnet and change the DHCP scope.

So you can configure a different subnet making it a tad smaller if you want.

Personally here do not utilize 255.255.255.0 (/24 bit mask).

I like using the Online IP Subnet Calculator.

Typically you only need to do this once. If you change routers just configure the new router with the same IP addresses.

Here utilize all a la carte purchased hardware. IE: modem, firewall (PFSense), managed switches, WAPs.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
            Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Many / most combo router/switch/firewall/AP's today let you dynamically redo the subnet and change the DHCP scope.

So you can configure a different subnet making it a tad smaller if you want.

Personally here do not utilize 255.255.255.0 (/24 bit mask).

I like using the Online IP Subnet Calculator.

Typically you only need to do this once. If you change routers just configure the new router with the same IP addresses.

Here utilize all a la carte purchased hardware. IE: modem, firewall (PFSense), managed switches, WAPs.
                I leave it at the default 255.255.255.0. Pretty much every home router is configured this way. I then reserve 001 to 099 for dynamic IPs. Then I have 100 - 254 as static IPs. I then separate IPs based on function. For instance 180-199 is for audio. 200-220 is for cams, etc. I write all of this down in a document and keep a copy on my computer and a print out in the "equipment room".

Comment

Working...
                X