Camera DHCP/DNS issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera DHCP/DNS issues

I have quite a few Homeseer cameras hooked into my HS4 Windows system now. I'm seeing odd behavior when trying to set DNS names using the cameras in wifi mode with DHCP and dynamic DNS (Microsoft). They all show up as ipc.xxx.com. The cameras have individual, unique names, and I even have them specified in my DHCP reservations on my network, but they don't register in my dynamic DNS (Microsoft) using those names. They all show up as ipc. What's up?
    |
    | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
    HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

It's likely they all appear as the same Public IP to Microsoft due to NAT. External Dynamic DNS services can't see individual IP addresses on your internal network.

Comment

Sorry, let me explain a bit more. I've been in IT for 40 yrs - networking, security, etc.. Running an internal domain on MS AD, etc. This is not visible publicly - it's all internal on my LANs and I don't expose most of my home automation systems/devices to the Internet. My AD server is running DHCP and DNS with dynamic DNS updates from DHCP service. The HS cameras are the only device doing this. It looks like they do not use the DHCP name when registering DNS, which is odd because the DHCP server should be sending the name as defined in the reservation. I've never seen this behavior before. The cams are configured with names, network configs, locked down as much as possible, etc. I don't know where the "ipc" name is coming from. Next step is to sniff the network to see what's being sent.
      |
      | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
      HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Sounds like a complex solution for just Home Automation. Active Directory DNS is a lot of overhead to get internal name resolution. I use a free DHCP/DNS server http://dhcp-dns-server.sourceforge.net/ that provides what you are describing on Windows 10 and it works as advertised providing internal network devices whatever name I configure for them as well as supporting primary and secondary servers when I am maintaining the primary.

Good luck.

Comment

I understand what you're trying to do as I worked with the Microsoft product team and learned Active Directory 3 years before it was released. It is admirable that you eat your own dogfood if you understand what I mean.

Sniff the network and see where the name is coming from. Unfortunately, you may realize that the network stack doesn't conform to standards.

I don't have these cameras so can't help. Good luck!
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
          X