Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm system to integrate with HS4?

Scenario:
    I've decided I'd like to invest in an alarm system in order to detect perimeter security, ie, doors and windows being open or closed. Might add a couple of motion sensors for likely entry points if glass was breached in order to gain entry.

Requirements:
    All sensors and keypads have to be wireless. It is NOT easy for me to run wires (no attic, no basement).
    Window/door sensors should include micro/mini models for aesthetic reasons.
    Most obvious one: integrates well (ie, real-time sensor info) with Homeseer. The idea is to reuse the sensors for home automation tasks like HVAC events and lock events.

What I know so far:
    I did some preliminary research and the Concord Alarm system seemed like a slam dunk (visited their website, researched types of sensors, costs, etc)... till folks on the forums mentioned they're out of business?? Why their website is still up is beyond me. So now I'm starting from scratch again and looking for ideas, insights, warnings, etc.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have been in the security industry for about 40 years as a alarm installer and have tested many systems. I have a Honeywell Vista security system (Used to be Ademco) installed in by home. I installed it in 1993. I have never had a problem with it. Honeywell still makes and uses the same wireless sensors for over the last 20 years. The RF system is rock solid. There are some sensors that I have never had to change the battery. The Current Vista series (Vista 10 and Vista 20) incorporate Zwave module. I only integrate my alarm system into HS with status only. As an alarm installer, I would never give any control of my alarm system through a Home automation platform. I can remotely call and connect to the alarm system and enter a code to control it but that is all connected to alarm system only. The problem with these pop up security systems is that a lot of them will be gone in a couple of years and any replacement sensors or sensors that you need to expand on the system will be gone.

I hope this helps,

Ronnie

Comment

Hi Ronnie ,

I agree with much of your thoughts, in that, allowing the alarm system to be separate from the home automation. Most of the alarms systems manufactured throughout the years were designed to be bullet proof and error free once they are properly setup. I don't intend on using Homeseer for any security functions and i don't intend on using the security systems Z-wave functionality, but I would like to re-use the alarm sensor data in my home automation events so I don't have to install two sets of sensors on my doors and windows.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        ...Why their website is still up is beyond me...
        1. You can still purchase this equipment
        2. You can use your existing panel and equipment with other hardware
        3. The are literally thousands maybe millions of these systems out there that need to be supported

Comment

I have used ELK for years, and it has been rock solid with excellent HS integration. A little pricey, but a great solution. The newer wireless devices are TWO-WAY, allowing for confirmation of all communications. I highly recommend this solution.
          tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

1. You can still purchase this equipment
            2. You can use your existing panel and equipment with other hardware
            3. The are literally thousands maybe millions of these systems out there that need to be supported
            That's what I kind of thought, but it's good to have confirmation. Thanks for the insights.

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
              I have used ELK for years, and it has been rock solid with excellent HS integration. A little pricey, but a great solution. The newer wireless devices are TWO-WAY, allowing for confirmation of all communications. I highly recommend this solution.
              Yeah, I started to look at ELK, like you said, pricey, but the two-way comms does appeal to the engineer in me. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                So I looked at the support forum for the UltraElk plug-in.... not a good sign. While there are not numerous requests for support, there a several questions posed within the last several months that have gone unanswered. Not a good-sign, especially since there's no alternative plug-in for this system.

Comment

Working...
                X