Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not related to HS - why posting here (Verizon configuration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not related to HS - why posting here (Verizon configuration)

Not related to HS - why posting here, because in my opinion this is the smart forum that I know, people are always polite and they know the answers.
    I'm going to upgrade from an old Verizon Router to a new upgrade. Currently I have the verizon modem/router connected to the Coax cable, it is connected to the Unifi USG Gateway. The only issue that I have right now with the current configuration (Not sure how in tech term is called) when I use my domain name or the external address within the internal network, it does not work.
    With the new installation, I would have a Fios Gigabit Connection. I have few questions:
    I would like to sue the ethernet instead of Coax
    Will my unifi USG Gateway support that speed?
    How can use the external IP/Domain within my internal network
    Is anyone having similar configuration?
    I also have a Netgear R7000 router currently disconnected but I may use it instead of Verizon modem? (By the way they charge $15 monthly renting fee.)

Thanks

Originally posted by alphatech View Post
    I'm not finding the thread on quick search, but I seem to recall discussion on the forum (maybe by randy) about throughput of the USGs. I know it is significantly reduced if you enable Threat Management.

I also have a Netgear R7000 router currently disconnected but I may use it instead of Verizon modem? (By the way they charge $15 monthly renting fee.)
    I used an R7000 before moving to a USG Pro. Configuration and monitoring of the USG is so far superior, IMO, that I wouldn't consider going back. Although I have several Unifi APs and switches at multiple locations, so integration via Unifi Controller is of particular benefit to me. BTW, modem, router and/or "gateway" rental from ISPs is *always* a rip-off IMO, and unfortunately still required by some providers (e.g., the sole provider available at a vacation property I own).
    -Wade

Comment

The USG will support GBit speeds, but requires an optical network terminal (ONT) to convert the Verizon optical signal to ethernet. I believe you have to use the ONT that Verizon supplies, but you can confirm that with them.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I posted a chart a while back. The USG can approach gigabit speeds, as long as processor usage is not impacted by threat detection or prevention. The real hit is with IPS enabled. So it really depends on the features you enable. This is from the controller:

Enabling IPS will affect the USG maximum throughput on inter-VLAN and egress traffic.
        USG: 85 Mbps
        USG-Pro: 250 Mbps
        USG-XG: 1 Gbps
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Not related to HS - why posting here, because in my opinion this is the smart forum that I know, people are always polite and they know the answers.
          I'm going to upgrade from an old Verizon Router to a new upgrade. Currently I have the verizon modem/router connected to the Coax cable, it is connected to the Unifi USG Gateway. The only issue that I have right now with the current configuration (Not sure how in tech term is called) when I use my domain name or the external address within the internal network, it does not work.
          You may be describing NAT loop back or hairpinning. The USG should support that, depending on how it is configured.
          With the new installation, I would have a Fios Gigabit Connection. I have few questions:
          I would like to sue the ethernet instead of Coax
          You lost me here. Generally coax would refer to a cable supplied internet, requiring a cable modem. Ethernet is the output of any modem and would connect between the modem and USG. FIOS is optical. It will require a ONT (optical network terminal, commonly referred to as a modem) to convert FIOS optical to Ethernet, which would connect to your USG. So there is no choice between coax and Ethernet. When you go with FIOS your coax will no longer be used for internet, though it could still be used for TV, dependent on your provider. Even if you use DSL (ADSL, VDSL) you still need a modem to convert what comes in on a phone line to Ethernet.
          Your USG will support up to gigabit speeds, but it does not have the hardware horsepower to handle those speeds with IPS or IDS enabled. The only UniFi products that will support those speeds with IPS enabled are the USG-XG and the UDM Pro.
          How can use the external IP/Domain within my internal network
          Is anyone having similar configuration?
          As I wrote above this is a result of NAT loopback not being enabled. My UniFi system has supported NAT loopback since my first USG, continued working with a USG Pro 4 and now works with a UDM Pro. With my pfSense router I had to enable it.
          Your R7000 is a router with a 4-port switch and a wireless access point built in. It is functionally no different than your USG with a switch and AP attached. It will not modulate/demodulate (modem) any method your ISP uses to supply internet to your house. In real world testing the R7000 will achieve about 450mbs throughput and some claim as high as 900mbs, though that does not seem to be the norm. As Wade wrote, the USG is superior to the R7000 in terms of management and configuration. You will need a modem designed for copper, coax or fiber, regardless of the router you use. If you want to avoid a $15 per month rental, you can purchase your modem. I currently use Comcast for 250mb speed and Centurylink VDSL as a backup. Both modems were under $100 to purchase. A gigabit FIOS ONT has a retail price of $299. Depending on the model they recommend, you might be able to find one on eBay for around $200. All modems are configurable and such configuration is not for the feint of heart. The configuration may be important if you want to use port forwarding, VPN tunneling or other advanced features. Both of mine are configured as pass through, disabling their router and firewall functions. I manage everything through my UDM Pro.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            You lost me here. Generally coax would refer to a cable supplied internet, requiring a cable modem. Ethernet is the output of any modem and would connect between the modem and USG. FIOS is optical. It will require a ONT (optical network terminal, commonly referred to as a modem) to convert FIOS optical to Ethernet, which would connect to your USG. So there is no choice between coax and Ethernet. When you go with FIOS your coax will no longer be used for internet, though it could still be used for TV, dependent on your provider.
            Unless this has changed, FIOS defaults to Fiber-->ONT-->Coax-->Fios Rented Gateway. You have to explicitly request an ethernet connection from the ONT to your own equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by HSAccord View Post

Unless this has changed, FIOS defaults to Fiber-->ONT-->Coax-->Fios Rented Gateway. You have to explicitly request an ethernet connection from the ONT to your own equipment.
              When I upgraded to gig internet on FiOS they coax was replaced with ethernet for internet traffic. The coax was kept in place. I believe this was for the moca used for a set top box. I have not yet set up my udm pro properly. I was of the understanding I needed to bridge the FiOS router but still connect to it for TV to sork. But I believe I could connect the ethernet from the ONT to the UDMP and then connect the FiOS router to the UDMP as a switch. I also believe I could by a compatible moca and use that. I may take this route.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I would like to clarify the current settings and what I would like to archive on the next upgrade
                Current setup:
                • Verizon Optical network terminal (ONT) (It looks like they are going to replace this one with a new model)
                • The ONT is connected to the Verizon Modem via Coax cable
                • The Verizon Modem is connected to the USG Gateway USG-3P via WAN1
                • The IPv4 connection is a static IP with 192.168.10.2, router 192.168.10.1
                • My local Ip are 192.168.0.x and few VLANS
                • I also have few TV setup boxes including a cable card
                Current issue as Randy has mentioned, I have a NAT loopback that has been hunted for many years. I searched posts over posts and ask for help but other forums are very challenging in regards to answers. The major symptoms are, if I type from my internal network my external IP or my domain name I get the message "This site can't be reached"

Future setup:
                • Verizon Optical network terminal (ONT) (New Box)
                • The Ethernet cable will be connected to the Verizon Modem via Ethernet cable
                • The Verizon Modem will be connected to the USG Gateway USG-3P via WAN
                • My local Ip are 192.168.0.x and few VLANS
                • I also have few TV setup boxes including a cable card
                What I would like to accomplish, resolve the multi year issue with NAT loopback. Randy, I would very much appreciate if you can indicate where would I make those changes that you have mentioned. My experience with Verizon tech is that they are great on normal install but when it comes to something more sophisticated, they would not know what I'm talking about. Do I need to mentioned anything to them to have Verizon and USG-3P connected properly?

I agree, not worth to mention the R7000, I may use it for backup purpose.

Will be happy to give more clarifications.

PS. The title of this post proved that this forum rocks.

Comment

Unless your get the right person, Verizon will tell you to use their router, connect your USG to it, and connect everything else to the USG. They will then expect you to serve IP's, etc from their router and use the USG as a switch. At least that is what the so called support call which was only reading prompts insisted I had to do with the UDM Pro in order to bridge the router.
                  Karl S
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  1070 Devices
                  56 Z-Wave Nodes
                  104 Events

Comment

I recently had problems with my ONT and Verizon came in to replace it. It was an older ONT from 2015. The ONT generates my IP address through ethernet cable. I then run that cable into my wired/wireless router. From my router, I run an ethernet cable into the Verizon router so I can get guide information for my set top boxes. The current Verizon routers are G1100 and G3100. Verizon wants $15 a month for rental but you can purchase on Ebay just make sure the router is a Verizon router. Frontier cable service also uses the same router.

Hope this helps,

Ronnie

Comment

Today Verizon came and unfortunately I had to cancel and reschedule for next week. I'm in a desperate need of your help. The verizon person unfortunately does not know anything about the router and how it works other than connecting cables. When I asked to put the router in "Bridge" mode, he told me that it can not be done. as I mentioned at the previous post, I have a Uniti USG, so I would need to connect with it. Can anyone guide me on how to do it, you are the only "Family" that I know :-)

Comment

I was able to get some time to change my network over and here is what I have:

Verizon fiber comes into my garage to a box with two outputs: coax and ethernet. When I upgraded to the gig connection I was changed to use the ethernet to my router in for internet. The coax was left connected. I have two TVs with set top boxes. The second is a smaller box which requires the router's moca as it has no coax connection.

I was able to connect the Unified Dream Machine Pro internet port to the ethernet from the garage. If I just wanted internet, that would be all. Everything would connect through the UDMP.

The larger primary TV box worked fine with this setup. It has a coax cable going directly to it as well as ethernet.

To get the smaller one to work I connected one of the Verizon router to the UDMP, both via the internal network ports. The router is set to not have out any IP addresses. I could get a compatible moca and drop the router all together.

Now to get my domain name and subdomains to find HomeSeer, my cameras, etc. Otherwise everything seems to be working.

Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        1070 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        104 Events

Comment

Thanks to the board, I was able to upgrade successfully with minor side effects but overall your help made a big difference. This is what I did so far.

Currently I have my Unify USG router connected from the ONT to the WAN without any issues. I had to change from the static IP to HDCP. I then connected the Verizon Router WAN to the local switch I guess to use the guide and etc. on the Main TV box.
                          Side effects so far. When I run the speed test via the https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ I get 900 Mbps as download but then fails. If I run it from my router using the USG router testing, I get 200/200 mbit.
                          The caller id for some reason does not show anymore to my HS3 waytocall Modem, the modem ring but no caller id in the log, I put a phone there and I can see the caller id.

ksum, I'm re-reading your message again "The larger primary TV box worked fine with this setup. It has a coax cable going directly to it as well as ethernet.", can you elaborate a little more? It sounds like that you have the TV box connected via the coax and the ethernet from the switch. Is the ethernet sending the VOD and etc to the tv without the need of Verizon router?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, the main TV box, the one with the DVR (which we don't use nor pay for) has coax and ethernet connected. Ethernet goes back to my UDMP. We have a second TV box which does not have a coax connection. It has an Ethernet connection going back to the UDMP. So I bought a moca which connects to coax and ethernet, again to the UDMP. Note that these do go through a switch on my network.

Here is the moca I picked up: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086MCGS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I have completely removed the Verizon router after getting the moca. Before it came in I used the Verizon router so the second TV would work. It had a coax connection and an Ethernet cable to a lan port. The wifi was turned off and it was not handing out any IP addresses. I set it to an IP of 192.168.1.254 so it wasn't the same as anything else. Basically it was a switch at that point with a bully in moca.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events

Comment

Working...
                            X