Device Features - Inconsistent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Features - Inconsistent?

I have a number of Inovelli switches (Red switches and dimmers). Even though they're exactly the same (purchased together, as well), HomeSeer seems to show different "features" for a few of them. Specifically, these switches will report their energy usage, and on 1 of the switches and 1 of the dimmers, it doesn't show these features. The others it shows it and was discovered on pairing. On the "features" screen for the device

Any idea why this is happening and how to correct it? While the energy usage isn't critical to me, it's nice to see.

See the picture below - these are all the same exact switch type, but you can see that the left one (Front Door Lights) and middle one (Front Door Overhead Light) are reporting energy usage and have those "features" enabled, while the one on the right (Garage Door Lights) doesn't show energy, and it also doesn't show up under the device's features.

Thanks for the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights.png
Views:	351
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1450923

Hey thought I'd help out here if I could (if not our CTO uses HomeSeer, so I can defer to him). But I just wanted to confirm that all the switches you've installed are Red Series, correct? Our Black Series switches do not have energy monitoring, so that may be why it didn't show up.

Thought I'd try with the easy answer, but if it doesn't help, let me know and I can dig further into it with you.

Eric
    Founder | Inovelli

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_Inovelli View Post
      Hey thought I'd help out here if I could (if not our CTO uses HomeSeer, so I can defer to him). But I just wanted to confirm that all the switches you've installed are Red Series, correct? Our Black Series switches do not have energy monitoring, so that may be why it didn't show up.

Thought I'd try with the easy answer, but if it doesn't help, let me know and I can dig further into it with you.

Eric
      Founder | Inovelli
      Hi Eric - yes, correct. They're all Red series - both the switches and dimmers. I installed the switches this past year, and I put in a few of the dimmers just this past weekend. GREAT product, by the way - I absolutely love them (and just ordered several more).

As mentioned, when they paired, HomeSeer discovered the features, but for some reason 1 of the switches and 1 of the dimmers doesn't show the energy functions. I couldn't tell you if it's a HomeSeer issue or a switch issue. I suppose I could try excluding it and re-including it, but I didn't want to muck with redoing the events and network optimizations unnecessarily - just first seeing if there's a simple explanation.

Appreciate the help and any insights!

Not sure if anyone has seen this occur with other devices - trying to rule out whether it's a HS issue or not?

Comment

Originally posted by ezmaass View Post

Hi Eric - yes, correct. They're all Red series - both the switches and dimmers. I installed the switches this past year, and I put in a few of the dimmers just this past weekend. GREAT product, by the way - I absolutely love them (and just ordered several more).
        Awesome, thanks for confirming and appreciate the support 😃

As mentioned, when they paired, HomeSeer discovered the features, but for some reason 1 of the switches and 1 of the dimmers doesn't show the energy functions. I couldn't tell you if it's a HomeSeer issue or a switch issue. I suppose I could try excluding it and re-including it, but I didn't want to muck with redoing the events and network optimizations unnecessarily - just first seeing if there's a simple explanation.

Appreciate the help and any insights!
        I talked with Eric M and he said the following: "Incomplete inclusion is my first guess. I would try non-secure inclusion to make the process easier. It might be right out of range or something funky."

Would you mind trying that? Or if you want to continue the secure inclusion, then maybe try it one more time and see if it still happens.

Keep me posted! It's definitely weird as they should all show the power monitoring.

Edit: My bad, I must have missed the part where you said you could try excluding/including but didn't want to muck with the events. Unfortunately, yeah, our guess is that something didn't get included fully and this is causing the issue.

Comment

I did have the same thing, I also just bought my first batch and installed them. On a couple I got an error about the security during inclusion, I just removed them and added them again and everything showed up once I got no errors during the inclusion.
          HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

ezmaass Have you tried rescanning the device? If not, I'd try that first and see if the other features are discovered/created.

I suppose I could try excluding it and re-including it, but I didn't want to muck with redoing the events and network optimizations unnecessarily
            I've done this in HS3 successfully once with another brand switch, although I'd say it's far from foolproof. Worst case is if something goes wrong along the way, you have to re-include and rebuild events. I don't run HS4 so can't advise on how to access these functions, but AFAIK they still exist in HS4.

1. Factory reset the switch per mfg instructions
            2. In the device's z-wave tab, run Test Connectivity on the node. It will fail of course.
            3. Run Replace Node. This will prompt to put the device into inclusion mode.
            4. If it includes properly, it should have the prior node # and events should remain intact.

edit: I don't know what, if any, difference there is in doing the above steps vs. rescanning--other than factory reset of physical device. Someone with more knowledge of z-wave technology and the z-wave plugin might be able to explain.
            -Wade

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I'm going to try rescanning (although I think I did originally try this... will do it again) as a first step. If that fails, I may try the exclusion / inclusion approach, or Wade's suggested steps on replace node - haven't done that before.

Because these switches now have some more complex events setup (such as configuring the LED notifications), I'm hesitant to go through rebuilding those for something otherwise pretty trivial. I also have new switches on the way, so if this occurs with one of the new ones, I'll probably try it immediately.

I'll report back what I find out.

Comment

So, doing a full rescan did make the energy features show up on the Red switch, but not the Red dimmer. You can see it showing here now in the screen shot.

I did also notice that the Red dimmer (where energy is not showing) is also complaining about security features not being properly enabled. For the time being, it's not urgent enough to mess with it, but I have several more switches to install and will see how those go - easier to exclude/re-include those prior to setting up events and so forth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights 2.png
Views:	205
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1452503

Comment

Did anyone ever figure this out?
                  I installed my first of these red series and I can't get any power devices, just the 3 base HS devices.

Comment

Originally posted by sbessel View Post
                    Did anyone ever figure this out?
                    I installed my first of these red series and I can't get any power devices, just the 3 base HS devices.
                    As you can see above, I was able to get one of the switches to report the power features by rescanning it, but the same trick didn't work with the dimmer. To be honest, I haven't messed with it any further because it hasn't been that important to me, but my next step would probably be excluding the device and trying to include it again.

Minimally, it's good to know that my experience isn't an isolated one. This thread did originally get a reply from Eric @ Inovelli, so hopefully this serves as another data point for them if the issue is indeed on the device side. But, to be fair, it could just as easily be HS. Hard to know without devising more specific tests.

Comment

I was finally able to get it working, but it took SEVEN attempts.
                      I found a few things.
                      I could not use the IOS Z-Tool+ app like I normally do
                      It only worked if I used secure mode
                      I had to completely clear out the old unit before adding it again. I even reset the device before attempting again.

It was quite painful, mainly due to how HS removed zwave nodes and devices. (or didn't many times)

But it is working now.

I do see the audit showing a 'poor' rating, I am not really sure what that means. I tried everything I could think of to remedy but it is still 'poor'
                      It does not seem to affect operation.

Auditing node 37 (Garage Z-Wave Switch) ...

HomeSeer was able to send a frame to the node.
                      HomeSeer was able to query the node and receive information back from it.
                      The node's neighbor rating is: Poor with 4 neighbors.
                      Neighboring nodes to Garage Z-Wave Switch:
                      Automation Z-Wave SmartStick (Node 1)
                      Dining Room Light Dining Room (Node 12)
                      Kitchen Light Counter (Node 29)
                      Bonus Room Sensor HomeSeer Notification Sensor (Node 30)
                      This node supports associations on the following groups:
                      Group 1:
                      Automation Z-Wave SmartStick (Node 1)
                      Group 2 - No nodes are associated to this group.

Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by sbessel View Post
                        I could not use the IOS Z-Tool+ app like I normally do
                        It only worked if I used secure mode.
                        I had to completely clear out the old unit before adding it again. I even reset the device before attempting again.

It was quite painful, mainly due to how HS removed zwave nodes and devices.
                        Finished!
                        I had the same problem with a similar device and also the same problem with the Z-Tool+ I have just discovered that the Z+Tool+ have a menu option to add unsecure. I think HS should make it more obvious that you are including secure or unsecure. If you are a pro, i understand that its not needed, but to all the newbies out here (myself included) it would be a welcome help.
                        Don't worry about your neighbor rating, it just tells you and the controller that only 4 devices are in range. To my knowledge You should be good.

Comment

Working...
                        X