You could use any of these:
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...e-access-point
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...s/unifi-flexhd
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...nifi-nanohd-us
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...ifi-in-wall-hd
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...nifi-ap-6-lite
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...s/unifi-ac-pro
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...ucts/inwall-ap

Better depends on your needs and where you would put it. For instance, maybe one of the In Wall units is better for you because it also gives you hardwired ethernet capabilities at a location. Or you are okay with the flat round ones on the ceiling because you have easy access to get the wire their and it just takes a couple screws and a small hole to get it in place.. Where can you get ethernet cables to? If you are putting a tall beer can unit on a shelf, can you easily get a cable to it?

Others can chime in on other brands or options.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I actually don't think it would be very easy for me to feed ethernet cable into various rooms. Most of the system is in the basement (switch, homeseer server, unraid server). I moved the dlink router to the main floor so I do have an ethernet cable coming from the basement to the main floor connecting to the router. I also have an ethernet cable in the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. I don't want to attach anything to the ceiling and I couldn't get the cable there very easily. So I am leaning more towards the Unifi Flex HD and/or one of the in-wall. The other thing that I am realizing is that these AP have to be connected to a unit that has a PoE connection, right? And if I need two AP's I would have to have a switch with at least 2 PoE connections, right? So I would basically need a switch and one or two AP's?

I am wondering what the range is for the Flex HD and the in-wall HD? They do say that the In-wall (2 port) AP has a range of 100m.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
        The other thing that I am realizing is that these AP have to be connected to a unit that has a PoE connection, right? And if I need two AP's I would have to have a switch with at least 2 PoE connections, right? So I would basically need a switch and one or two AP's?
        When I purchased my APs (HDs IIRC), they came with PoE injectors. With those, you could install the injector either near the switch or near the AP--wherever you have power available--and skip the PoE switch. I started that way until I upgraded to Unifi PoE switches.
        -Wade

Comment

Ah, yes, it does seem that the Flex HD comes with a PoE injector but the in-walls don't. I saw this on amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B082KD85MY/ref=emc_b_5_i
          It looks like it would work if I needed more PoE connections.

Comment

Ah, yes, it does seem that the Flex HD comes with a PoE injector but the in-walls don't. I saw this on amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B082KD85MY/ref=emc_b_5_i
            It looks like it would work if I needed more PoE connections.
            That should work but if you can swing the cost I'd go ahead with a small Unifi PoE switch. That way you have full management via Unifi Controller. E.g., VLAN, port power cycling, monitoring, etc. I have 3 Unifi US-8-60 switches in addition to a few larger ones.

edit: Note that the US-8-60 only has 4 PoE powered ports.
            -Wade

Comment

If you have ethernet going to a wall plate, then it is easy to replace the wall plate with the in wall AP. I would look at those in that case. If the cable going to the dlink router is just a cable coming out of a hole, then you could put one of the Flex HDs there. They don't all have to match so you can have these different types in different locations. Are there other connections such as a desktop hard-wired to the dlink router? If yes then yo may want something different there. Or a small switch with the AP connect to the switch as well as the other devices.

As Wade mentioned, the units come with a power injector. The ethernet cable goes into the power injector, which has a cord to plug it into the house electric (no wiring needed just plug it in) and then a second cable goes out of the injector to the AP. So don't worry about the POE part. Just means you do not need a power cord wherever the AP is located.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events

Comment

Sorry, you are correct, the in walls units do not have a power injector. Look at the power requirements as some of the Unifi units require more power than others. I have an older long range AP which uses less power than the Nano HD. The Unifi switches with PoE will send the correct amount to the connected AP.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events

Comment

Thanks for all your help with this! I think Wade is right that I should probably stick to all unifi products. That way it will all be managed correctly. I will have to decide which AP's to go with.

Comment

It just occurred to me that the in-wall AP's would be powered from the wall plug, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                      Sorry, you are correct, the in walls units do not have a power injector. Look at the power requirements as some of the Unifi units require more power than others. I have an older long range AP which uses less power than the Nano HD. The Unifi switches with PoE will send the correct amount to the connected AP.
                      There are several versions of POE, and all Unifi switches are different in this regards. Make sure the switch you select is compatible with the device you intend to power.
                      tenholde

Comment

It just occurred to me that the in-wall AP's would be powered from the wall plug, right?
                        Actually this isn't correct. After I looked at it again, it does appear to need a PoE to power it.

Comment

Here my wife and I did not want to see an WAPs on ceilings or walls so I mounted the main floor WAP in a coat closet on the main floor. The POE connection comes from the basement "server / network section"

Click image for larger version

Name:	RuckusAP.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1455372
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Can powerline adaptors be used with unifi gateways or switches? If so, suggesstions?

Comment

Can powerline adaptors be used with unifi gateways or switches? If so, suggesstions?
                              I don't have an answer to your question, but if the issue is getting an ethernet cable to where you need an AP, have you explored this option?

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/article...ireless-Uplink
                              -Wade

Comment

Wade Thanks for this! I believe this might be what I am looking for. I need a wired connection in one room that doesn't have one and I can't get a wire there. So if I am reading this correctly, I would be able to connect a LAN cable to a unifi access point that has wireless uplink capabilities. So, would I also need a POE injector then to power the AP? Because it wouldn't be connecting directly to the router with a LAN cable? I purchased 3 of the UAP-IW-HD, Unifi Switch Lite-16 USW-Lite-16-POE and the unifi security gateway. So if I am connecting the in-wall AP's with a LAN cable back to the switch, they would be wired connected and powered, right. But according to the article, I could use one of these to connect wirelessly to another AP that is wired to the switch, right. Then I would hard wire connect to the wireless AP. Do I have this right?

Comment

Working...
                                X