Router recommendation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router recommendation??

I have been experiencing unreliable issues with both alexa and homeseer devices, sonos, hue devices lately. I believe my router might be to blame. I would like to know if you guys can recommend good routers that can handle home automation devices and also can give a good long range wireless connection?

I'm using the Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG) in conjunction with one of their access points. The coverage is excellent, the throughput has never been a problem, nor has up time. In addition, their control software is really useful and provides more information about my network than I can use. Upgrading firmware is easy and transparent. The combination is far superior to any combo "Router" setup. One huge advantage is that the gateway can sit wherever your internet provider cable ends, and the AP can be placed somewhere that gives you good wireless coverage. Setup is more complex than the typical consumer router, but it's (mostly) straightforward. There are many YouTube videos that cover how to get started and I'd recommend checking them out.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Go with Ubiquity
      tenholde

Comment

Another vote for Ubiquiti. Have had several different brands of routers and APs in the past. Ubiquiti was the best thing I've done for my home network. I have a large home with multiple APs and coverage is excellent.

Comment

I agree. I have an Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 and 3 access points. Works flawlessly.

Comment

For all-in-one you should consider the UniFi Dream Machine (UDM). The UDM has built in Access Point (AP) however as part of the UniFi ecosystem can be expanded to add additional AP(s) should this be required.

Comment

Here utilize a PFSense router with 5 interfaces. 3 LAN and 2 WAN (failover to ISP).

For my Wireless stuff have migrated from Ubiquti to Ruckus and have no issues with it.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is this the ubiquit that you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-USG-S...tronics&sr=1-5

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                  That's essentially what I have. I also have a POE switch that powers the Cloud Key and the AP.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Or what about this one?

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...h-wi-fi-system

Comment

https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-USG-S...tronics&sr=1-5
                      That bundle includes Cloud Key Gen1. Ubiquiti has Cloud Key Gen 2; and I vaguely remember that there were some benefits in getting the updated version.
                      In any case, for the money, I'd consider running the Controller software on a Pi or a computer (e.g. that runs HS).

Comment

Stay away from Cloudkey V1. The UDM is basically those three components packed into a single device.

Comment

So what components would I need? Can you give me some links?

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                            Stay away from Cloudkey V1.
                            I agree that v2 is more capable, but I've been using CKv1 for some time with no issues. Why do you recommend avoiding it?

Comment

So what components would I need? Can you give me some links?
                              https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012192813

Comment

Working...
                              X