Router recommendation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
    Can powerline adaptors be used with unifi gateways or switches? If so, suggesstions?
    Short answer is yes, powerline adapters work. I set up a pair to provide WiFi to my mom's livingroom where her router could not reach.

And it works pretty good. A couple of points:
    + Some speed loss as compared when wired direct to router/switch. I do not recall the speed seen, but I was happy with it.
    + Takes a little longer to get an IP address, but once you have it, connection is decent (e.g. maybe 15 seconds as opposed to less than 10 seconds otherwise).

The other option suggested works good too -- wireless bridge. I have 3 UniFi wireless access points. One is wired, the other two connect wireless back to the wired device. This works great for me, as I did not have an easy way to run wires. I put a small 5 port switch connected to each of the 2 wireless APs which provide usable ports for non-wirrless devices (e.g. desktops, printer, etc.).

Yes, you will need a PoE to power the UniFi wireless AP. Be sure the AP you get has a passthrough/uplink port.

Comment

So, would I also need a POE injector then to power the AP?
      yes

Because it wouldn't be connecting directly to the router with a LAN cable?
      right

So if I am connecting the in-wall AP's with a LAN cable back to the switch, they would be wired connected and powered, right.
      right

But according to the article, I could use one of these to connect wirelessly to another AP that is wired to the switch, right. Then I would hard wire connect to the wireless AP. Do I have this right?
      Sounds like yes

-Wade

Comment

Perfect! Thanks for all your knowledge!

Comment

Some caveats for full disclosure:

I've setup various Unifi WAPs, unfortunately their wireless mesh speeds suffer since they don't use a dedicated radio for the back-haul connection. For example, I have a main WAP that is POE directly connected into a Unifi switch, that WAP has great throughput (close to my ISP stated throughput). I also plugged in a Unifi Beacon HD in another room to extend range. Throughput is cut in half since the same radio has to be used to connect to the main WAP.

Many consumer wifi mesh systems use a dedicated radio for inter-WAP communications, hence higher throughput.

With regard to power-line Ethernet adapters, I've never seen a real world test where the speed approached the stated throughput. At best, some tests have come close to half the rated speed if you're lucky.

Obviously if one can't run an Ethernet cable to a particular location then either of the above methods might be the only choice. While I like the Unifi ecosystem and use it, they definitely do not do as well in terms of wifi meshing speed versus the other consumer brands (like the Netgear Orbi).

Comment

Hmm! So you are saying that some of the consumer mesh systems are better? I did read in the docs above that when setting up the wireless AP to select one band and a different channel for better throughputs. Wonder if that makes a difference.

Comment

Hmm! So you are saying that some of the consumer mesh systems are better? I did read in the docs above that when setting up the wireless AP to select one band and a different channel for better throughputs. Wonder if that makes a difference.
              That is to avoid transmission interference with each other. It will not change theoretical top throughput.

I'm just trying to set expectations. When I first researched Unifi, I too had a room with no way to get a network cable there, I thought great, I'll use the unifi auto meshing features. I noticed my throughput when connected to that downstream WAP wasn't very good when compared to the WAP directly connected to the wired network.

It might not be a deal breaker for you, it comes down to what kind of speeds do you need or expect? Simple web browsing will be no big deal.

For me it was not satisfactory, so I did the math and decided I'm going to use the best powerline network adapter available (currently stated at 2Gbs) to get a network connection into that room and then connect the WAP to it so it has a dedicated back-haul to the main network. If i can get one-quarter (about 400 to 500Mbps) of the powerline adapter rated speed for the WAP to connect into the network then it'll be a big improvement over the previous mesh uplink.

It all comes down to needs/expectations. Not everyone needs all the data analysis or fine-grain control the Unifi ecosystem provides. If you intend on wirelessly meshing WAPs then IMO there's better choices for throughput and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

...decided I'm going to use the best powerline network adapter available (currently stated at 2Gbs) to get a network connection into that room and then connect the WAP to it so it has a dedicated back-haul to the main network. If i can get one-quarter (about 400 to 500Mbps) of the powerline adapter rated speed for the WAP to connect into the network then it'll be a big improvement over the previous mesh uplink.
                TC1, what powerline model did you end up using, and we're you able to get 400-500 Mbps speed?

Comment

NetworkGuy I haven't pulled the trigger yet, just finished up the research. I'm looking at the three models mentioned in this article:

https://www.lifewire.com/d-link-powe...review-4778144

I misspoke before, looks like 300 - 400Mps is more realistic, but still a lot better than the wireless mesh uplink I was using.

Comment

NetworkGuy I haven't pulled the trigger yet, just finished up the research. I'm looking at the three models mentioned in this article:

https://www.lifewire.com/d-link-powe...review-4778144

I misspoke before, looks like 300 - 400Mps is more realistic, but still a lot better than the wireless mesh uplink I was using.
                    Thank you for the update and link. I will read the article. This is what I purchased for my mother's home. Not as fast, but I will check speed the next time I am there. They do work as needed though, so I am pleased with their performance.

AC WiFi AV1000 , PH10
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S5BTMQY

Comment

Those look good, I prefer to get units that are strictly lan extenders (no built-in wifi) because I want to have a strictly Unifi wireless network.

Comment

Those look good, I prefer to get units that are strictly lan extenders (no built-in wifi) because I want to have a strictly Unifi wireless network.
                        I needed the WiFi because her router doesn't reach out to her livingroom. These did what I needed, and she connects her iPhone, iPad, TV and soon her thermostat. As well as my phone and other siblings when they visit. It works good for my purposes, but I get it about the extra WiFi if not wanted.

Comment

So outbackrob you have 3 UAP-PRO? How do they connect to each other?
                          They are all connected via Ethernet cable to a Ubiquiti Switch.

Comment

So, I have switched everything over to the USG, 3 In-wall AP's and a unifi switch lite 16 POE. Everything is working great and now my 13 wifi ceiling lights are working as they should. Although one is a bit delayed in coming on. I will have to figure that out. So thanks for all the help!

Just one more question.....what sort of devices do you guys use most in your home automation? I use mostly zwave devices but went with the wifi ceiling lights(which sent my old router into a tailspin). I am wondering if wifi is better than zwave?

Comment

Just one more question.....what sort of devices do you guys use most in your home automation? I use mostly zwave devices but went with the wifi ceiling lights(which sent my old router into a tailspin). I am wondering if wifi is better than zwave?
                              I refuse to use Wifi devices for my home automation controls (dimmers, wall sockets, light bulbs, etc). I like the fact that Z-wave, Zigbee, Lutron, and almost all wireless alarm systems use a different wireless network dedicated to their use. My reasoning is that it isolates and increases the reliability factor of your daily operations.

Comment

So, I have switched everything over to the USG, 3 In-wall AP's and a unifi switch lite 16 POE. Everything is working great and now my 13 wifi ceiling lights are working as they should. Although one is a bit delayed in coming on. I will have to figure that out. So thanks for all the help!

Glad you are running better. Some routers have limitations on the number of devices which can be connected. Especially those provided by the internet providers.

I use z-wave wall switches for all lights except a few ambiance/holiday lights which are handled with D1 Minis running WLED. But for any room light, the wall switch is king here. If you have to open a phone app to work it, I don't use it. (outside the WLED exception). I have played with a couple Sonoff and Shelly units which I flashed Tasmota onto. They work fine, but most of my lights are also on dimmer switches, so another + on the z-wave side. I also have a couple z-wave receptacles, power strips, and appliance and lamp modules. I do have environment sensors which are D1 Minis running Tasmota, so WiFi is used for MQTT communications.
                                Karl S
                                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                                1070 Devices
                                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                                104 Events
                                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                                X