Z-Wave LED Light Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    Adding to my previous post, you can set color temp, saturation, etc but for my simple mind it's a challenge to do it all within HS. Hence I use the Philips app for color control and the HS events to control when on, off, brightness, etc.
    Makes sense. Tying back to the originsl question it looks like using Zigbee bulbs and mixing technologies makes more sense than hunting for Zwave bulbs that are hard to find, very expensive, and lacking in features or quality compared to Zigbee bulbs.

Comment

upstatemike Where do you see that?
      It's $7.99 not $30.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 02-06-21 at 08.54 AM.PNG
Views:	311
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1454480

Comment

Makes sense. Tying back to the originsl question it looks like using Zigbee bulbs and mixing technologies makes more sense than hunting for Zwave bulbs that are hard to find, very expensive, and lacking in features or quality compared to Zigbee bulbs.
        Agreed. Just about everything zigbee is considerably less $$ than the z-wave equivalent.

Comment

It's $7.99 not $30.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 02-06-21 at 08.54 AM.PNG
Views:	311
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1454480
          Yes but it was originally $30 which was crazy high for the limited capabilities. It is only $7.99 now so they can get rid of them and they must not be selling even at that price if they are being used as box fillers.

Comment

Thinking some more about this after reading about the Inovelli ZWave color bulb and am wondering if the Inovelli color bulbs will be ZWave repeaters? One big problem with Zigbee bulbs, apart from Hue, is that they are not Zigbee repeaters and even Hue is constained by the 50 bulb limit so it is impractical as a platform to standardize on. If Inovelli ZWave color bulbs act as repeaters they might be usable in applications where Zigbee is not.

Example: I have 20 Lifx bulbs for my outoor lighting fixtures and have a terrible time communicating with the even though signal strength to the APs is good. I am thinking it might be because the outdoor fixtures are all well grounded metal that might be messing with communication despite the baseline signal strength. If I repaced the bulbs with something meshed so the signal can relay from fixture to fixture instead of needing to hit the APs in the hous then maybe I can get a less frustrating experience from the outdoor lighting. If the Inovelli ZWave color bulbs are able to act as repeaters this might be a good option for me.

Anybody seen a spec for the Inovelli color bulbs about them being repeaters?

Comment

Unless there's something unusual, any mains powered Z-wave device is an "always listening" device and able to route/repeat in the network.

But just like Zigbee bulbs, one doesn't want to rely on them as repeaters since there's a chance someone will switch off the bulb (unless you take other precautions) which will dynamically change your mesh network/routes.

The other problem with cheaper Zigbee bulbs (non-Hue) is that they have less buffer memory and can be overwhelmed by network traffic, hence why the vendors cripple them from being repeaters and can act only as end-points.

Also, Zigbee bulbs repeating is a non-issue when one can purchase cheap ($10) Ikea switched outlets to act as a repeaters. I bought a handful right before the holidays and plugged them in around the house in outlets that never get used. My zigbee network is extremely strong now.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Unless there's something unusual, any mains powered Z-wave device is an "always listening" device and able to route/repeat in the network.

But just like Zigbee bulbs, one doesn't want to rely on them as repeaters since there's a chance someone will switch off the bulb (unless you take other precautions) which will dynamically change your mesh network/routes.

The other problem with cheaper Zigbee bulbs (non-Hue) is that they have less buffer memory and can be overwhelmed by network traffic, hence why the vendors cripple them from being repeaters and can act only as end-points.

Also, Zigbee bulbs repeating is a non-issue when one can purchase cheap ($10) Ikea switched outlets to act as a repeaters. I bought a handful right before the holidays and plugged them in around the house in outlets that never get used. My zigbee network is extremely strong now.
                That was my question. Will all ZWave bulbs be repeaters or might some be configured only as end points as is the case with Zigbee bulbs from Sengled and others? Just looking for a published spec to confirm for the Inovelli ZWave color bulbs.

I understand the strategy for using cheap Zigbee plugs for repeaters but that would not be practical in my example above for outoor lights.

Comment

The bulb is an Always On Slave, so yes, it repeats.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...3613/embedpics

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                    The bulb is an Always On Slave, so yes, it repeats.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...3613/embedpics
                    Yup, thats what I was looking for. Thanks.

Comment

I prefer the smartbulbs to the smart switches. They are much more convenient and, if the automation stuff stops working, I can simply turn the lamp on and off at the switch. I too am frustrated by the disappearance of z-wave bulbs. I had to get my last batch on eBay. I tried a RGBW bulb from Innovelli but am having difficulties with it.

Comment

Z-wave chips, like others, are currently more difficult to get than in the past, which is exhausting Z-Wave product supplies everywhere.
                        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I switched out my z-wave bulbs to zigbee bulbs. Philips makes a dimmable white only bulb that is inexpensive. They're also repeaters for the zigbee network when you end up at a far corner of the house for a closet light.

Comment

Working...
                          X