Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to log into a web page via HS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to log into a web page via HS4?

The goal of this is to send texts from an event. I'll be trying to set up the email approach today, but believe this would be more responsive in real time. I know there is a plugin for sending sms.... but don't think much of the service it interfaces with.

I'll be carrier specific for this example...
    1. Event triggers HS4 to open a browser to https://login.verizonwireless.com/
    2. Finds the uname and password fields - populates them and submits a carriage return
    3. If not automatically redirect goes to Verizon Messages (vzw.com)
    4. Populates the "to" number field
    5. Finds the field for text entry
    6. Enters the appropriate message
    7. Sends it
    8. Logs out

If you can get email working, you can send a text. Here's a list for the different cell providers.

I stole it from here. https://20somethingfinance.com/how-t...mail-for-free/

Comment

cyberbillp - Thanks! Of course i think they all bounce if the carrier doesn't provide your number. I'd been out all day and had not started working on it yet. I don't know if it always is this fast...but the one for Verizon was almost instantaneous! If speed holds, that is all I'll ever need. I'd expected much more delay.

I may actually be at an advantage that I am now on Verizon phones since Xfinity/Comcast uses the same target email domain. Xfinity is my Internet provider and Verizon for my phone. it may all sit in the same server farm...that would be awesome! Thanks for the list with both in it that made that clear!

Comment

I use T-Mobile and get emailed text messages within a few seconds most of the time. It isn't completely reliable, though. Once in a while it can take a few minutes, though only very seldom (once or twice a year, maybe) is it over 10 minutes. I don't know the cause, and it's possible it's the delivery rather than the sending that is delayed. If so, it might well be no different if it were initiated from a web page.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael- THANKS! I was really surprised that at least my first email test went quickly. You could be right about the web pages. It might take a few months of testing to really prove out if one had an advantage if most are this fast. I don't think I care that much until I start having issues. Now I have to get email working at least for sending mail in HS4. Even when I find the stuff the provider says for the set up it, setting up mail always seems frustrating. I know it should be easy. I should have been a server guy instead of a network guy. In the real world it's probably a lot more handy .

Any comment on using the built in stuff vs an email plugin...I need to read the manuals ...my least favorite thing. Seems like if just sending emails...the plugins are overkill.

Comment

Glad others have chimed in here, I'm surprised that not everyone knows one can send a txt message via the carrier's email gateways. Been using this technique for last couple of decades.

As Uncle Michael pointed out, it's pretty much instantaneous (I use Sprint) but there are rare occasions that txt messages are delayed, but it has nothing to do with the email gateway (I've had txt messages my wife sent from her phone to mine finally appear hours later. Then we argue about it, lol).

I don't get why others resort to a third party service like Pushover for mobile alerts.

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
              cyberbillp - Thanks! Of course i think they all bounce if the carrier doesn't provide your number. I'd been out all day and had not started working on it yet. I don't know if it always is this fast...but the one for Verizon was almost instantaneous! If speed holds, that is all I'll ever need. I'd expected much more delay.

I may actually be at an advantage that I am now on Verizon phones since Xfinity/Comcast uses the same target email domain. Xfinity is my Internet provider and Verizon for my phone. it may all sit in the same server farm...that would be awesome! Thanks for the list with both in it that made that clear!
              I've been using this approach for quite a while, since HS 1.6. It works well.... usually very quick!

Comment

ts1234 Thanks for posting the question. This is why I check out the daily posts in this forum. I monitor my pump house temperature and send emails when there are issues. Been wanting to switch to text, since I started wearing a Fitbit at night and the incoming txt would wake me, I was really looking for a way to control SirusXM for my whole-house audio, so this was a 2-for-1 message.

Barry

Comment

lhfarm - There are a bunch of really smart people on here that turn my poorly thought out questions into usable solutions. I had to kind of laugh at myself when I thought about the original question on logging into web text pages on carrier sites. One, that process, which is likely possible with some app that captures screen input, probably isn't much faster. Two, since you rarely send texts to someone standing right beside you, I don't even know the normal delays that happen there...either all the time or occasionally.

The good news is thanks to others on this board I now know that HS4 ran the event that locked (or unlocked) my house. I do think now I'll set things up to send an email instead that actually confirms the state of the locks being locked since my Schlage lock don't always actually respond...even when an event monitors the log for a failure and resends the command again if they don't. I really can't wait until I replace those noisy/unresponsive things anyway.

Glad you got something out of this too.

Comment

Working...
                  X