Philips Hue Interface and/or plugin for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips Hue Interface and/or plugin for HS3

I have a couple of places where I'd like to use the HUE bulbs but have no experience with the interface to HS.
    Amazon says they are compatible with Alexa, but yeah right, so what?

For people using the Hue bulbs, what interface or hub did you have to acquire and what plugin would support it for HS3?

Also, if I only need 2 or maybe 3 bulbs max, is it worth is as I don't know how much the plugin and hub/interface would cost to support.

Thanks in advance.

The hue hub will cost you ~$60 and the plug-in for HS3 is ~$40 (Free in HS4) Whether its worth it or not depends on how badly you want/need the features. If you currently don't have any HUE lights, I believe they sell a 2 or 4 light starter kit that includes a hub.

Where will you be using the hue bulbs?

Comment

Hue hub and Jowihue since forever. Hub is about $70 depending on how you bundle it, plugin is $40. There's an HS Hue plugin included in HS4 Pro. I haven't tried it yet.

There are other bulbs that do similar things for less hub, bulb, and plugin cost if you're not really hooked on something Hue-specific. In many cases, you can go hubless.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
        The hue hub will cost you ~$60 and the plug-in for HS3 is ~$40 (Free in HS4) Whether its worth it or not depends on how badly you want/need the features. If you currently don't have any HUE lights, I believe they sell a 2 or 4 light starter kit that includes a hub.

Where will you be using the hue bulbs?
        Thanks,

Family room and Bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeve View Post

There are other bulbs that do similar things for less hub, bulb, and plugin cost if you're not really hooked on something Hue-specific. In many cases, you can go hubless.
          The other bulbs, are they the wifi ones? If so, I assume that HS3 can't control them?

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
            The other bulbs, are they the wifi ones? If so, I assume that HS3 can't control them?
            HS3 can! I actually have all LIFX bulbs and use Ultras plug-in in HS3. It works very well. There is also a plug-in for the Tuya lights.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much look at what plugins HS3 supports then that determines the brands you can use. There's also the option to get a Smartthings or Hubitat instead of a unitasker like a Hue Hub. The down sides there are it seems Smartthings is becoming all about Samsung products above all, and Hubitat's out of box experience is a lot like opening an empty box that you need to go fill with things that should already be installed in the first place. Both have enough community to keep them going, and both can talk to Hue and Ikea bulbs directly. Take a look at some of the videos from Matt Ferrell's Undecided and Paul Hibbert. Paul will give you, let's call it, a perspective on Hue products.

Comment

Working...
              X