Help with Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Nest

Hey all, im STILL alive, been gone a while on other projects, BUT, im moving to a new apartment this month and the place has 2 nest thermostats, I looked at the plugin here for hs4 but it says it no longer works. is there a way to control nest with HS? I ask before i rip them out and put my old dumb thermostats in that do work with HS.
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Seriously, why would you use a cloud based thermostat? And on top, from a vendor that does not support DYI integration? Look elsewhere! You are asking for trouble and dissatisfaction.

Go with a vendor that does not use cloud technologies, does use local control, and does support integration.

I have three RCS TR40's directly connected to my ELK. Works great and have FULL control without ANY cloud.

I have a VENSTAR Explorer model (not connected) but appears to support local control with non cloud integration.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Rip them out. Go to some of the HVAC forums to read some of the many horror stories about the damage that Nest has done to some systems.

Comment

sadly it's in an apartment and that what comes with the building, i personally would rather use a dumb one and let HS control everything, bt it is what it is
        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Keep them in a box and replace them when you leave. My tenants did that - replaced the Z-Wave units with a cloud-based unit. Wish they'd left the Z-Wave unit at least... LOL

BTW, can't believe you're still around!

Comment

Google shut down their 3rd party API nearly 2 years ago, so kick them to the curb.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There is a new API that works fine for the Nest thermostats. Both the habitat and smartthings and I think home assistant support it nowadays. Unfortunately there is no official homeseer support. My best advice would be to get a habitat and use a mike McSharry's excellent elevation plugin to import the Nests into HS.

People can complain about Googles change,but there is a new API and HS should just implement it, esp since Spud did the original version and is now working for HS.

Mike

Comment

Great, and tomorrow there will be another “new API”. And then, down the road there will be another “new API”.

What the heck? Cloud based solutions are terrible! What are you thinking? T-stat or HVAC is a very important aspect of an automation home. This needs to be 100% reliable!
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                  Great, and tomorrow there will be another “new API”. And then, down the road there will be another “new API”.

What the heck? Cloud based solutions are terrible! What are you thinking? T-stat or HVAC is a very important aspect of an automation home. This needs to be 100% reliable!
                  I hope API's change as security holes are closed and features added. Software is is never done. It has to evolve, and every software engineer knows that. In the IOT space things are very dynamic now, so that's the price of doing business. Smartthings and hubitat and others support the API, so I don't understand why HS shouldn't given Nest's market share.

Google has a local API now, and it is supposed to be extended to all devices, though today Nest thermostats don't yet have it. And the Nests function well when the network is gone. They keep running schedules etc... They are all in the stat, not in the cloud.

Comment

I have done plenty or software development. Of course API‘s change, but do the entry points and parameters need to change? While you may be right in some cases, companies are changing API‘s to control the industry and limit who they want to play with. Once a company has significant market control they do these things to maintain control and competitive reasons.

Maybe I am wrong. It certainly is subjective. Local API control would be a benefit. Especially if they document the API for all to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X