Reference thermometer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference thermometer recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced thermometer and/or thermo-hygrometer? I have so many temp sensors in the house that all report something slightly different it would be good to put a reliable thermometer at the location for a while and then adjust the reported temp on these devices to read something consistent. Thanks.

I bought one of these Amazon.com: Preciva Digital Psychrometer Thermo-Hygrometer, LCD Mini Temperature and Humidity Meter with Dew Point and Wet Bulb Temperature Hygrometer for Industry, Agriculture, Meteorology (9V Battery Included): Home Improvement to answer that question on temperature and humidity.

Comment

Thanks - you can't believe how many dumb responses I got to this question in other forums. All I want to do is calibrate them all to something that is reporting the right temp. This looks like it might do the trick.

Comment

That device is unlikely to be any more accurate than the sensors that you are already using. These days temperature sensing is trivially easy and the typically used, dirt cheap, DS1820 is accurate to +/- 0.5ºC, which is the same spec as the Amazon thermometer (it probably uses the same chip and at that price it won't be calibrated).

The most likley cause of the discrepancy is location. There can be marked differences in temperature reading with small differences in location; amount of air flow, contact with a cold or warm surface etc. Have you tried putting the sensors with different readings in the same place and comparing them?

How much accuracy do you want? +/- 0.5ºC seems more than accurate enough for most peoples needs.

For instance these are 2 different sensors placed close to each other, one a Wiser room thermostat, the other a Zigbee multi-sensor. They match very closely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LR temp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	1454884

As an extreme example, one of these is from a Wiser radiator thermostat, the other a Zigbee multi-sensor a few feet away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Str temp.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1454891

Comment

Working...
        X