Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC is getting old - Hometroller PI to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC is getting old - Hometroller PI to replace?

Hello,
    I looked around the forums but didn't see this question. It's getting to be time to replace my Windows 10 machine that is running HS4. I don't really need another windows 10 machine, and was wondering about switching to the Hometroller PI. Has anyone done this and what are the benefits/downsides? Thanks!

Not all plugins work with Linux, nor vbScript. If you are comfortable with Win10, then there are lots of sources for mini PCs that run Win10 and HS4. I am very happy with my Intel NUC (lots of models).
    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
      Not all plugins work with Linux, nor vbScript. If you are comfortable with Win10, then there are lots of sources for mini PCs that run Win10 and HS4. I am very happy with my Intel NUC (lots of models).
      Thanks tenholde - What would you say are the minimum specs?

Comment

The HomeTroller Pis are also limited to 5 plug-ins, and two of those (at least on the one I just bought) are Z-Wave and Z-Wave GUI. I don't know if the 5 limit is actually enforced, or if you'll just start seeing performance issues if you add more. The HomeTroller Pi is built on the old RasPi 3 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Alconnell View Post

Thanks tenholde - What would you say are the minimum specs?
          My configuration:
          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6770HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz 32GB or RAM

But, this is way overkill. I am running a web server and several other servers on this box as well.

The most important recommendation is to configure it with an SSD drive.
          tenholde

Comment

Thanks, I'll look around - and I'll stick with Windows 10.

Comment

Sticking with windows 10 is a good idea. Just another thought, I set up a friend with a Dell AIO (new model) DELL Inspiron 5490 AIO 23.8 TOUCH I5-10210U 12 1TB + 256GB SSD i5490-5513SLV-PUS I got off Fleebay for $650. Hooked it up with a Znet and HS4. Runs awesome and takes up no space since it AIO. If you look around these are often on sale, even from Dell. He is using it just like another computer as well. Y^ou might look into this option as well. I personally run an i7 NUC but if I was to do it over this is the way I'd go. It's nice having the touch screen as well. My 2 Bitcoins

Comment

Originally posted by Alconnell View Post
                Hello,
                I looked around the forums but didn't see this question. It's getting to be time to replace my Windows 10 machine that is running HS4. I don't really need another windows 10 machine, and was wondering about switching to the Hometroller PI. Has anyone done this and what are the benefits/downsides? Thanks!
                It really comes down to what you are most comfortable with. I will say that I personally prefer Linux as it lean and mean whereas Windows has really gotten completely bloated with stuff that is ridiculously complex. And, yes, I go back to Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 3.1 BETA forward. Got a lot of experience with all of these OS's.

So, I will be one of the first ones to step in to challenge you to go linux. Whether to go RPI or not is another conversation. I like the RPI4 but more than likely your existing Windows box could be converted to Linux and it will get back it's speed and luster.

Let me ask what do you do with HomeSeer? What plugins do you use? Do you use text to speech or SAPI? What accessories or device hardware do you use?

Someone correct me.... Is the HomeTroller PI a RPI3 or RPI4? If it is a RPI3 then I would forget it... My understanding is that the HomeTroller PI is a PI3....
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post

It really comes down to what you are most comfortable with. I will say that I personally prefer Linux as it lean and mean whereas Windows has really gotten completely bloated with stuff that is ridiculously complex. And, yes, I go back to Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 3.1 BETA forward. Got a lot of experience with all of these OS's.

So, I will be one of the first ones to step in to challenge you to go linux. Whether to go RPI or not is another conversation. I like the RPI4 but more than likely your existing Windows box could be converted to Linux and it will get back it's speed and luster.

Let me ask what do you do with HomeSeer? What plugins do you use? Do you use text to speech or SAPI? What accessories or device hardware do you use?

Someone correct me.... Is the HomeTroller PI a RPI3 or RPI4? If it is a RPI3 then I would forget it... My understanding is that the HomeTroller PI is a PI3....
                  Thanks Krumpy for chiming in,
                  I mostly use HS for lights and other Zwave devices. Only using Chomecast and MyQ plugin. I played around with LInux some years back but haven't lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                    Yeah, it's a Pi 3 B (not the B+). I'm happy with it so far but wish it had been built on a newer Pi base.

Comment

Working...
                    X