Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the code at the end of the device address for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the code at the end of the device address for?

Greetings All,

I noticed that HomeSeer assigns a code at the end of the device address and that it can be changed as well at <IP>/_deviceutility.html. What is it used for and can it be used for anything else?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	175
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1455242

Thanks,

Roger D

I believe this is there for legacy X10 support. The old X10 stuff had an alpha code with a unit number.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I believe this is there for legacy X10 support. The old X10 stuff had an alpha code with a unit number.
      Correct, and while X-10 addresses only had 256 addressable units A1-P16, there are also upper and lower case codes starting at Q,q that are used in legacy HS 1,2,3 as virtual devices if they are not associated with another plugin. So you can have a device with a v12 housecode and name and address and set it using the v12 variable.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Is there anything else it can be repurposed for?

Roger D

Comment

No not really, but they behave and have the same attributes are regular devices. So you can use them as anything you'd like.
          You can use them for status, persistent storage (I use virtual devices and their values for things like on times, off times, accumulated time, strings like (Winter, Summer, etc). You can stick in whatever you want in there.

Global variables are being, or were dropped from HS4 as they were not persistent and only lasted as long as HS was running and not restarted.
          If you want to mimic the same thing as a global variable, you can just create one of these and reset it to a default value in your startup.vbs.

They also can be used as a trigger if you have a script that changes one of the attributes and an event the monitors the device.

What did you have in mind.

Comment

Greetings George,

Nothing in mind. Was just curious about it. Still learning about the functions and features of HS.

Thanks and be safe!

Roger D

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              Global variables are being, or were dropped from HS4 as they were not persistent and only lasted as long as HS was running and not restarted.
              If you want to mimic the same thing as a global variable, you can just create one of these and reset it to a default value in your startup.vbs.
              I believe support for global variables hasreturned in the latest release
              tenholde

Comment

Are they persistent or only available during the current session?

Comment

Same as HS3, only during the current execution of HS4
                  tenholde

Comment

Working...
                  X