Reset Application Status - Z-Wave Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset Application Status - Z-Wave Switch

I'm sure I am doing something wrong and could use some guidance with this Jasco switch.

I have the Master Bath lights turn on at 16% when motion is detected, then turn off 3 minutes later via events:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Motion.PNG Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	1455724Click image for larger version  Name:	Motion V2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	1455723
    That part works fine, but after it turns off, when I press the upper paddle to turn on again, no matter what I do it goes back to the dimmed value.

I have another event in case the upper paddle is pressed WHILE it is at 16% (before it times out).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn On.PNG Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	1455725
    This works as as expected, but after turning off the light, subsequent single presses of the upper paddle send it right back to 16%.

I have this running successfully with several other lights, but all of them turn on to 100%, the master bath is the only one I have turning on dimmed.

I've tried Reset Application Status in every way I can think of in the events, but maybe it doesn't do what I think it should do?

I'm kinda at a loss because I can get much more complicated things to work - this one should be simple! Any thoughts would be appreciated because my wife is even more annoyed about this switch than I am.

Annoyed wife = bad!

What model of Jasco switch is it?

Comment

I tried two - first one was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When that didn't work, I switched to a GE Enbrighten 46203.

Both gave identical results.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
        I tried two - first one was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When that didn't work, I switched to a GE Enbrighten 46203.

Both gave identical results.
        Read Z-wave parameter 32 on the 46203, what does it indicate?

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

I had set parameter 32 to 93 because anything higher causes the LED bulbs to flicker. I had also set the same value in the HS4 controls:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch Controls.PNG
Views:	393
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1455872

Comment

I'm not sure why you're changing it in the HS4 controls... that's not the proper place to do what I believe you want. Setting max brightness for the dimmer should be done inside the dimmer via parameter 31. Please see here for full list of parameters and functions:
            https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...s/4024/configs

Also, I don't understand (could be my lack of knowledge) why you're resetting the Application Status of the dimmer in your events.

Comment

I changed it in the HS4 controls after changing the z-wave parameter didn't work.

The thinking with regard to the Reset Application Status was that, because the parameter change didn't work, I then tried to run an event when a scene changed.

The scene was 1 press on upper paddle (same as turning on the light) - that worked, sort of. It would not work a second time because as far as HS4 was concerned, the scene didn't change.

I also just noticed that the values in the control screen are not what I typed in. There seems to be a bug when editing/saving device values - what it saves is not consistent.

I guess I'll keep playing at it.

Comment

I suspect you've got too many things going on in an effort to troubleshoot, my advice is to start over an simplify. Do not touch the application status.

First work on the dimmer Z-wave parameters you want, such as default brightness level when you send an On command either from the paddle or remotely.
                Next, set the dimmer Z-wave parameters for Max and Min dimmer levels to fix any issues with bulb flickering.

Once you can get the dimmer the way you want, independent of any events, then proceed to the automation.

Also, regarding this:
                "The scene was 1 press on upper paddle (same as turning on the light) - that worked, sort of. It would not work a second time because as far as HS4 was concerned, the scene didn't change."
                I too have noticed this, on my HS WD100+ dimmer. I believe this is a bug in HS4, successive taps of a paddle, ie, same scene activating in a row, are not registered as new scene triggers in HS4. You need to take that into account when designing your event /automation logic.

Comment

I too have noticed this, on my HS WD100+ dimmer. I believe this is a bug in HS4, successive taps of a paddle, ie, same scene activating in a row, are not registered as new scene triggers in HS4. You need to take that into account when designing your event /automation logic.
                  To get around this quirk, I add a V/S pair for each switch: value=0, status=No Scene. I then set up an event with an immediate script to reset the scene to No Scene (below; 3029 is device ref for one of my switches). I call this event as needed from other events as needed so that future calling of the same scene will trigger events as intended.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-13 111750.png
Views:	377
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1455954
                  -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                    To get around this quirk, I add a V/S pair for each switch: value=0, status=No Scene. I then set up an event with an immediate script to reset the scene to No Scene (below; 3029 is device ref for one of my switches). I call this event as needed from other events as needed so that future calling of the same scene will trigger events as intended.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-13 111750.png
Views:	377
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1455954
                    Interesting workaround, thanks for this. Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just execute the immediate script right in the event after the scene is triggered? What is the virtual switch for?

Comment

Interesting workaround, thanks for this. Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just execute the immediate script right in the event after the scene is triggered? What is the virtual switch for?
                      My V/S reference was value/status pair which I add to each switch, not a virtual switch. The immediate script could just as well be in each event, but since I use it from various events I made it a standalone that I can call. Easy then to copy and edit for another switch etc. Also easier for me to remember what the immediate script is doing since it has it's own event name. 🤪
                      -Wade

Comment

My V/S reference was value/status pair which I add to each switch, not a virtual switch. The immediate script could just as well be in each event, but since I use it from various events I made it a standalone that I can call. Easy then to copy and edit for another switch etc. Also easier for me to remember what the immediate script is doing since it has it's own event name. 🤪
                        Got it. Yeah, I misunderstood your "V/S" meaning. So basically you added a fix for HS's lack of scene updates, which is a shame you had to resort to that (extra overhead and maintenance on the customer's part). I'm going to add the lack of successive scene updates to my list of bugs to report in hopes HST will address these.

Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-13 111750.png Views:	0 Size:	8.9 KB ID:	1455954
                          Thanks for the interesting idea. I use scripts extensively, especially for complicated operations - I'm a fan. But this should have been simple and I didn't go that route because, well I'm too stubborn.

I suspect you've got too many things going on in an effort to troubleshoot, my advice is to start over an simplify. Do not touch the application status.

First work on the dimmer Z-wave parameters you want, such as default brightness level when you send an On command either from the paddle or remotely.
                          Next, set the dimmer Z-wave parameters for Max and Min dimmer levels to fix any issues with bulb flickering.

Once you can get the dimmer the way you want, independent of any events, then proceed to the automation.

Also, regarding this:
                          "The scene was 1 press on upper paddle (same as turning on the light) - that worked, sort of. It would not work a second time because as far as HS4 was concerned, the scene didn't change."
                          Yep, you were right - I don't know why I went down this trouble-shooting rabbit hole. I reset the switch, got rid of the extra events, reset the parameters, and poof... it works as expected!

Not sure why it didn't on the first go with either switch, but thank you for the help!

More importantly, thank you for helping to restore the WAF!!!

Comment

Glad you got it working again! I know the frustration of going around and around on something and getting burnt out. Sometimes taking a step back helps clear the mind. I'm going through the same thing with my Unifi network tonight, I'm tired, hence why I'll resume troubleshooting in the morning.

Comment

I stumbled across this thread and saw this post. It got me wondering how I could read my device parameters. Could you help me out here?

I'm running HS4 on a HomeTroller Pi.

Comment

Working...
                              X