New Garage Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Garage Door

I am getting a new garage door next week with a MyQ opener. I currently have a GoControl / Linear GD00Z-4 on the door. I'm assuming the GD00Z will not work with the MyQ opener, but don't know if that's correct. I don't automate anything with the garage door other than issuing notifications if it is open, etc. Is the MyQ plug-in good for that? Should I keep the GD00z just to integrate the tilt sensor on the new garage door? Repurpose the GD00z for some other use? (thinking tilt sensor on dishwasher door or other appliance) Any other ideas??? Just trying to see if I keep it, toss it, or put it in a closet and toss when I move... Thanks for any ideas / suggestions.

I used the paid MyQ plugin for a couple years and recently switched to the included one when I upgraded to HS4. In general I've found both to be quite reliable for the most part. This said, it's reliant on a cloud connection so there are occasional losses of communication for various reasons. I'm not sure about the HS version included with HS4, but the paid one doesn't use an official API so is subject to breaking changes when the API is changed for any reason. I'll say the developer (Eric Fetty) is always very responsive and gets it sorted quickly, but still, it's a complication to keep in mind. I haven't done it for my 2 garage doors yet, but I've considered adding tilt sensors to have status without cloud reliance. If it were me I would hang onto the GD00Z and see how it goes.
    -Wade

Comment

You have a working solution. Why complicate thing by switching? I would stick with what you have and avoid the cloud.

Comment

The garage door and opener are being replaced due to age / breakdowns. If the GD00z will not be needed / can't be used in the garage, I'd rather find another use for it.

Comment

Working...
        X