HomeSeer consulting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer consulting

I am in Toronto and I am going to commission the building of a modest home starting in October. Just finishing the architectural drawings now and about to submit for zoning approval. I want to install HomeSeer and HTD. HTD I understand (so I think). HomeSeer I kind of get, but so many choices. Lots of it I can figure out but want to start off on the right path because so many knowledge gaps. For example, security ... how to integrate with a paid monitoring service security company in Toronto (this is a mystery to me).

I thought I had quite modest automation desires but the list is long enough:
    * security (a few outdoor cameras, indoor motion, door opening)
    * lights
    * motion detectors
    * heating floor activation
    * heated towel rack activation
    * heated driveway activation (moisture activated)
    * sprinkler system
    * front door lock / unlock
    * fireplace on / off
    * weather awareness

I really just want to hit it up the middle of the fairway -- i.e., lowest execution risk.

What is the best way for me to started and get some advice from people who know HomeSeer really well? Are there any HomeSeer consultants? I'm quite tech savvy, but I have a job and the rest of the main construction will presumably become quite distracting. I like the idea of having HomeSeer so I can tinker with it, but just want to get a bit of boost to start off.

Originally posted by deet View Post
    I am in Toronto and I am going to commission the building of a modest home starting in October. Just finishing the architectural drawings now and about to submit for zoning approval. I want to install HomeSeer and HTD. HTD I understand (so I think). HomeSeer I kind of get, but so many choices. Lots of it I can figure out but want to start off on the right path because so many knowledge gaps. For example, security ... how to integrate with a paid monitoring service security company in Toronto (this is a mystery to me).

I thought I had quite modest automation desires but the list is long enough:
    * security (a few outdoor cameras, indoor motion, door opening)
    * lights
    * motion detectors
    * heating floor activation
    * heated towel rack activation
    * heated driveway activation (moisture activated)
    * sprinkler system
    * front door lock / unlock
    * fireplace on / off
    * weather awareness

I really just want to hit it up the middle of the fairway -- i.e., lowest execution risk.

What is the best way for me to started and get some advice from people who know HomeSeer really well? Are there any HomeSeer consultants? I'm quite tech savvy, but I have a job and the rest of the main construction will presumably become quite distracting. I like the idea of having HomeSeer so I can tinker with it, but just want to get a bit of boost to start off.

start with this thread on integrating alarm systems and panel recommendations
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-with-homeseer

For lights make sure every junction box is wired with a neutral; this will give you a lot of flexibility for installing home automation switches. I approach lights by deciding on the aesthetics and communication technology I want. Start with the communication technology, ie zwave, zigbee, UPB etc. Check out a few devices from each. You might find that your sense of aesthetics pushes you towards one technology or another.

As part of the alarm panel installation have them hard wire doors, windows, motion detectors etc.
    I would have them run cat5 to anywhere you want cameras; I'd recommend POE cameras.

Heated floors might refer to electrical or hydronic systems; I would investigate sinope thermostats for electric radiant flooring. I've never seen a hydronic installation, management might be as easy as pump on/pump off which would let you use a dry contact relay but I'm just speculating. Same discussion for your heated driveway. I'm not sure that you need to automate radiant heating; most will run on a schedule with an integrated thermostat. Since there is a significant lag with providing comfortable heat these systems don't tend to cycle on like a central heating/air unit does.

Moisture detection would fall under personal weather system or perhaps your sprinkler system as some have soil moisture detection. You might also use the weather to decide on when to activate the driveway heating. I suspect this is a problem already addressed by the folks who install heated driveways; I'd consult with them on how they are set up and what activates them.

The heated towel rack is easier; they usually plug into an outlet; just use a smart outlet. If they are hardwired then install a smart switch instead.

I would recommend searching the forums for sprinkler system integration. In fact a google search or forum search should be your default action anytime you think of an item you want to add/look into.

There are several zwave and zigbee lock options from major lock manufactures; I'd avoid bluetooth versions and stay with keypad models. these will be battery operated so no special preparation needed other than picking the model you want

fireplace integration is not recommended; if it's a sealed direct vent model with no damper then integration is likely safer. In which case if you have a low voltage switch to turn it on/off you'd simply need to use a dry contact relay. Keep in mind your relay will need a power source so wire things appropriately.

weather awareness; that's a bit vague; what are you looking for? a weather report in the morning? alexa can do that for you? weather on a screen? freeze warning?

I think it's great you're planning ahead. It's good to develop a roadmap. I would make a list of those devices you plan to install or have installed and perhaps a rough order you plan to implement them. google is your friend for things like thermostats and locks. as an example say you plan to use zwave devices; a quick search for 'zwave thermostat' or 'zwave lock' will show you a variety of options then you pick the one that suits you personally.

HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Working...
    X