Homeseer's handling of IP interfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer's handling of IP interfaces

Folks, I am trying to figure out a few things about how HS handles multiple network interfaces. I run HS3 on a Windows Server 2019 guest VM on a VMware host server. The OS has 3 network interfaces active, with non-overlapping networks (they are VLAN's on my home network, but to windows server they all look like individual network interfaces).

HS3 runs the webserver on all 3 interfaces, and I can connect on any of them and issue JSON calls using any of them. But HS3 deems one of these interfaces as the "LAN Address" when I look at the report in Tools->About Homeseer , and when I go to Tools->Setup->Labs, the Bind Server to IP address is set to "No Binding". On the forums, it appears everyone recommends keeping this set to No Binding, If I change that to one of the 3 IP addresses instead of no binding, will HS3 treat that as the primary IP address of the machine, but still continue run the webserver and take commands on all of the interfaces?

Thanks!
    mike

Easy enough to test. As expected, the webserver only responds on the "bound" interface.

Comment

Sigh, I should have just tried that! How does HS pick it's primary network interface?

Comment

I have HS4 running as a test instance on a Raspberry Pi with wired & WiFi interfaces. There, it picks the wired interface if that is connected when HS4 starts. If the wired is disconnected upon startup, WiFi is selected and it stays on that even if the wired is subsequently connected.

Comment

Under Windows, HS “seems” to pick the first one that Windows shows first under adapters.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            Under Windows, HS “seems” to pick the first one that Windows shows first under adapters.
            LAN interface used by HS is always the one with the lowest metric not necessary the first adapter

Comment

To handle communication from multiple subnets like that a better way would be to use a router to handle that, then the issue you are describing is not an issue!

Comment

Working...
              X