Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best thermostat for out of band plus full HS control??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thermostat for out of band plus full HS control??

Looking at recommendations on a thermostat that has its own cloud system/app to access PLUS offers FULL HS control ( change heat/ cool mode, set each temp setting, fan ect)

loking to get rid of this nest crap
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Not sure what it is you don't like about Nest, but Ecobee is worth a look.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I bought a couple of new Trane Zwave thermostats brand new for $15 on EBay a year or so ago and they work perfectly. I had nest but once they buggered up their API and I lost local HS control I made the change. My model Trane doesn’t have cloud access but who cares when you can just use MyHs to do everything. I’ve looked at Ecobee and the others and for what you are getting for $200 I have for $15. BTY another reason I stayed away from Ecobee is I heard that their cloud was down a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
        another reason I stayed away from Ecobee is I heard that their cloud was down a lot.
        The Ecobee cloud is definitely not 100%, but it's been very reliable lately, and it's never been a problem for me. That said, local control always beats the cloud for reliability.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Why do you want a separate app? Maybe there is a good reason but you could also just VPN into your system or use MyHS. This will give you quite a bit more options regarding thermostats. I use a Trane 624 as it allows me to disable the built in temperature measurement and replace it with an external one. The number of z-wave thermostats that allow this is pretty limited.

Comment

Here still using the Leviton OmniStat V2 with a serial interface. I just VPN to it if I need too. Mostly though just monitor it; no hands on anything with it.

It looks a bit antiquated these days and has worked fine now for over 10 years. (used an RC80 before that one).

I wish the PIR was integrated to the serial interface to the OmniPro 2 panel.

The Homeseer Touch interface (using HS designer) includes local weather and additional temperature sensors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Omnistat2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	11.9 KB ID:	1465483
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I actually banned my thermostats into a closet and the garage so I don't care how old they are/look. Where they used to be I placed a tablet instead. But as Pete mentioned, with HS events in place there is pretty little need to handle a thermostat.

Comment

It really depends on what your requirements are. Only local control, cloud control, be able to run independently from homeseer etc...There are many brands put there that integrate with homeseer. I have several aprilaire thermostats in homeseer and am happy with them. Although if you want to connect them to homeseer you are not able to use their remote app. But if you have it connected to homeseer you can use the hsmobile app and get at it that way.

Comment

Dweber85rc good point regarding running the thermostat independently from HS. There are indeed some thermostats that cannot be programmed though I think all of them still can be controlled manually. I made it a 'rule' that everything must be running even without home automation. It's kind of a good thing because a few months ago HS deleted all my z-wave devices so pretty much all my automation is down. However, I can still manually control everything incl. lights, thermostat, ceiling fans, shades, awnings, etc. It's just a big hassle and my wife is mocking me on a daily basis... Totally lost the WAF for HS......

Comment

Working...
                  X