Bye bye Harmony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
    I waited for the next Pronto - never came - so I went to Harmony - now that's gone. I guess I'll have to get up off my butt and use the dial on the TV. Oh wait - can't. I'm really old.
    Me too!

I remember the "remote" we had that positioned the TV antenna. You could the dial to any point on the compass and within 15 seconds the antenna would reposition itself. It was like magic.

Comment

So what is the solution? I have TVs that need IR control and the rest of the equipment (AVRs, AppleTVs) is in an "equipment room" that needs RF control. Harmony has some issues but in my opinion they checked most of the boxes for advanced remote controls without requiring a dealer. I was really looking forward to a Harmony remote with voice input and all the buttons of a regular remote (including LCD).

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        So what is the solution? I have TVs that need IR control and the rest of the equipment (AVRs, AppleTVs) is in an "equipment room" that needs RF control. Harmony has some issues but in my opinion they checked most of the boxes for advanced remote controls without requiring a dealer. I was really looking forward to a Harmony remote with voice input and all the buttons of a regular remote (including LCD).
        Buy a Harmony remote now (whilst still available) and then consider what's available in 5 years time when Logitech finally pull the plug?
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Buy a Harmony remote now (whilst still available) and then consider what's available in 5 years time when Logitech finally pull the plug?
          They are like $350-$600 on ebay. Even defective ones go for $150+. Crazy. There must be another solution with a touch screen and hard buttons like the Harmony.

Comment

wtf. i randomly clicked on this thread and it cost me $852 for an optimus prime! (costs more, but available from the manufacturer)

Comment

My amplifier died and I am about to buy a new one , which I have to setup on my Harmony hub.
              Is this still possible?, I am not at home at the moment , but when I try to add a new device via my phone the app only gives an error when trying to connect.

Thanks,
              Cor

Comment

For the DIY types it is easy to do IR recognition and IR transmission with Tasmota on ESP8266. Assume you have a simple IR remote that you could use to initiate a scene. For example numbers 0 to 9 would give 10 scenes or activities in Harmony-speak. The ESP8266 would recognize the IR and then send the set of IR codes that make up your scene.

I use the IR keypad that comes with LED light strips in a similar manner. It is smaller than a normal AV remote. I use 16 of the buttons as user input to acknowledge notification LED that are illuminated when something needs attention such as mail delivered, garbage day, water leak, etc.

in the past I had taken the RF module out of a Remote that did both IR and RF (Dish satellite) and drove it with the IR led input of the Ocelot. This gave me automated RF control.

If was to do it today I would just use $40 Broadlink RM Pro which does both IR and RF. The Tasmota IR receiver in this case would send MQTT message to Broadlink and Broadlink would send IR and/or RF.

Comment

Working...
                X