Bye bye Harmony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye Harmony...

Harmony's universal remotes are fading away, and there's a $699 Optimus Prime robot you should see.

the Optimus Prime is pretty intense....and Kevin Smith is still annoying and looks homeless.

Comment

That's a real shame. People still use A/V receivers or you really want to just use the awful built-in speakers? It also allows me to select activities so I can press one button and the service I want (through AppleTV, another thing going away) pulls up. Further, my AV receiver and Apple TV are in a different room than the TV so I need something that works with RF. That's just pretty bad news...

Comment

Build your own controllers using Home Remote with extended logic (Inclusive of other brands)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Remote.png
Views:	638
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	1468310

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

But the phone is just not a great substitute for a remote. Hard buttons ,... better battery, both IR and RF, just to name a few. To use a phone, I have to switch from what I'm doing, which likely includes unlocking the phone usually, run the app, then execute the command.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
            But the phone is just not a great substitute for a remote. Hard buttons ,... better battery, both IR and RF, just to name a few. To use a phone, I have to switch from what I'm doing, which likely includes unlocking the phone usually, run the app, then execute the command.
            Agreed. Same thing for voice control, it's not a cure all, late at night or in open floor plan settings being vocal is not always desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
              Build your own controllers using Home Remote with extended logic (Inclusive of other brands)

Eman.

For me, it's the physical remote I will miss, However, designing my own touch screen remote layout and 3d printing a physical cover with physical buttons I can feel ??..... hum - have to think about that.

Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
              Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
              Number of Devices: 633
              Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.54.0: BLBackup
              2.0.40.0: BLLAN
              3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
              30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
              3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
              3.0.0.87: weatherXML
              3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

I use URC remotes and I'm very happy with them. The programming has a bit of a learning curve, but they are very capable and don't rely on the cloud. The trick is finding a dealer who will let you have a copy of the software.

Comment

Another non cloud based option:
                  ​​​​​
                  JP1 remotes (here using One for all-9910+ RF emitters/extenders)

Also a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you can get rid of all your stock remotes and customize things the way you like.

Great support community so upgrades/codes are easy to find or you can quite easily generate new ones if needed.

You can even create custom protocols to interface with HS and control any event/action you want.
                  ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
                  https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

For me, it's the physical remote I will miss, However, designing my own touch screen remote layout and 3d printing a physical cover with physical buttons I can feel ??..... hum - have to think about that.
                    YIO Remote : https://community.yio-remote.com/

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post
                      I use URC remotes and I'm very happy with them. The programming has a bit of a learning curve, but they are very capable and don't rely on the cloud. The trick is finding a dealer who will let you have a copy of the software.
                      Before the days of the first iPAD I accidentally (or you could say I was desperate for touch control) bought one of those URC Remotes (RX -6000 and the base controller MX-400) only find they were US/Canada. The guy even gave the programming software which I can't locate any more... It's gathering dust because am not good at resealing items, I just put them up on the shelf.

Eman.

Comment

I still have my NEEO remote. Contro4 bought the rights to it. It's now only available through dealership

Eman.

Comment

Yeah I have one of those as well. I heard there are no more software updates available. Mine sits unused in a drawer.
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

+1

I still have the Philips Pronto units....... I'm looking for the next remote to replace my aging Proto's .... I to like a dedicated unit with hard buttons.

Prefer
                            IR & Wifi

Devoir

Comment

I waited for the next Pronto - never came - so I went to Harmony - now that's gone. I guess I'll have to get up off my butt and use the dial on the TV. Oh wait - can't. I'm really old.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X