Bye bye Harmony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
    I waited for the next Pronto - never came - so I went to Harmony - now that's gone. I guess I'll have to get up off my butt and use the dial on the TV. Oh wait - can't. I'm really old.
    Me too!

I remember the "remote" we had that positioned the TV antenna. You could the dial to any point on the compass and within 15 seconds the antenna would reposition itself. It was like magic.

Comment

So what is the solution? I have TVs that need IR control and the rest of the equipment (AVRs, AppleTVs) is in an "equipment room" that needs RF control. Harmony has some issues but in my opinion they checked most of the boxes for advanced remote controls without requiring a dealer. I was really looking forward to a Harmony remote with voice input and all the buttons of a regular remote (including LCD).

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        So what is the solution? I have TVs that need IR control and the rest of the equipment (AVRs, AppleTVs) is in an "equipment room" that needs RF control. Harmony has some issues but in my opinion they checked most of the boxes for advanced remote controls without requiring a dealer. I was really looking forward to a Harmony remote with voice input and all the buttons of a regular remote (including LCD).
        Buy a Harmony remote now (whilst still available) and then consider what's available in 5 years time when Logitech finally pull the plug?
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Buy a Harmony remote now (whilst still available) and then consider what's available in 5 years time when Logitech finally pull the plug?
          They are like $350-$600 on ebay. Even defective ones go for $150+. Crazy. There must be another solution with a touch screen and hard buttons like the Harmony.

Comment

wtf. i randomly clicked on this thread and it cost me $852 for an optimus prime! (costs more, but available from the manufacturer)

Comment

My amplifier died and I am about to buy a new one , which I have to setup on my Harmony hub.
              Is this still possible?, I am not at home at the moment , but when I try to add a new device via my phone the app only gives an error when trying to connect.

Thanks,
              Cor

Comment

For the DIY types it is easy to do IR recognition and IR transmission with Tasmota on ESP8266. Assume you have a simple IR remote that you could use to initiate a scene. For example numbers 0 to 9 would give 10 scenes or activities in Harmony-speak. The ESP8266 would recognize the IR and then send the set of IR codes that make up your scene.

I use the IR keypad that comes with LED light strips in a similar manner. It is smaller than a normal AV remote. I use 16 of the buttons as user input to acknowledge notification LED that are illuminated when something needs attention such as mail delivered, garbage day, water leak, etc.

in the past I had taken the RF module out of a Remote that did both IR and RF (Dish satellite) and drove it with the IR led input of the Ocelot. This gave me automated RF control.

If was to do it today I would just use $40 Broadlink RM Pro which does both IR and RF. The Tasmota IR receiver in this case would send MQTT message to Broadlink and Broadlink would send IR and/or RF.

Comment

So there is a new YIO remote being developed and it looks pretty impressive:

Remote Two (yio-remote.com)

And they have a growing list of HA software integration:

Works with n+1 devices
                  We are planning to support the most popular home automation platforms and smart devices:

Home Assistant
                  Homey Pro
                  OpenHAB
                  Hubitat
                  ioBroker
                  Domoticz
                  IKEA Trådfri Hub
                  HomeKit
                  Matter (when it's released)
                  I notice HomeSeer is not in the list 🤔 Maybe something that could be worked on.

It's currently still in Kickstarter but they expect to ship July 2022.

Here are a couple of video reviews:

https://youtu.be/84j1yXz3lYA
                  https://youtu.be/2yknMoqtpvg

Now before people start waxing on about 'why do you need a remote, just use an app' etc., there are a large number of people (the majority I would say) who find hard buttons the best way to operate media devices. In my mind you can't beat the tried and tested transport control (PLAY/PAUSE/STOP/FF/REW) buttons found on 99% of media device remotes. Although an app works it's a pain having to unlock the phone, launch the app, navigate to the device and then hope you hit the pause icon that you can't actually feel. This is a debate that has been had many times over in a number of AV and remote control forums so let's not have it here.

We currently have a Logitech Harmony Elite that works very well. And I use HA-Bridge (a Hue emulator) to enable the 'home control' buttons at the bottom of the remote to quickly control stuff in the media room (lights, blinds etc). Basically just assign JSON commands to those hard buttons.

M

PS I have no conflicts to declare (i.e. I have no fiscal interests in YIO).
                  iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

$460+ for a remote???? I should go on eBay and pickup a couple more Harmony's to put in my drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post

We currently have a Logitech Harmony Elite that works very well. And I use HA-Bridge (a Hue emulator) to enable the 'home control' buttons at the bottom of the remote to quickly control stuff in the media room (lights, blinds etc). Basically just assign JSON commands to those hard buttons.

M

PS I have no conflicts to declare (i.e. I have no fiscal interests in YIO).
                      I have same remote. I kludged using IR into IRTrans receiver to get the home buttons to work in Homeseer. Never thought of this method.

Here https://www.lillyio.com/product/blac...l-hub-and-app/ it is for less than 100$, but not sure I trust that site. Everytime I refresh that page, the in stock number changes randomly... so prob fake.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                        $460+ for a remote???? I should go on eBay and pickup a couple more Harmony's to put in my drawer!
                        Until Logitech stop supporting the cloud based IR library. Then your remotes slowly turn into paper weights. The interesting thing about the YIO is that it is 100% local and open API.

A Harmony Elite from Amazon will set you back $429.....so not much difference in price really.
                        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

The big difference is that the Harmony is not going to be supported anymore while the YIO is just starting. And it's not just the IR codes of the Logitech, etc. but the battery, keys not registering correctly anymore, etc. And I am not even getting into the limitations of a centralized system. Having said that, the Harmony was really the only game in town (unless you go with Creston, etc) so I still don't understand why Logitech decided to get out of this business.

Comment

LOL. I keep answering my own questions. Figured it out! I thought I had to associate scenes with buttons/actions but it doesn't work that way in HS4. For anyone else outthere, once you add the device in HS4, that's all you have to do. Once an action is generated using the buttons (top paddle = 1, bottom paddle =2) HS4 generates an event and then you just use that trigger in a scene. Simple!

Comment

Originally posted by shahn View Post
                              LOL. I keep answering my own questions. Figured it out! I thought I had to associate scenes with buttons/actions but it doesn't work that way in HS4. For anyone else outthere, once you add the device in HS4, that's all you have to do. Once an action is generated using the buttons (top paddle = 1, bottom paddle =2) HS4 generates an event and then you just use that trigger in a scene. Simple!
                              Probably intended that post to go here.
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X