Desk banging sensor scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desk banging sensor scheme?

Anyone done something like use a vibration sensor to track cumulative events? I'd like to implement something that detects banging on a desk surface. As in, kids banging on the desk out of frustration while gaming. Yeah, parenting is fun sometimes. I could hard-mount something to the underside of the desk to get a solid signal. I'd want to avoid mis-fires for unrelated activity like walking around, doors closing or passing trucks. It'd be interesting to tie this into discord/steam or other gaming networks as an additional indicator.

I was going to suggest a Geophone but these days you can purchase an Ebay "Vibration Sensor Trigger Board Relay Switch Module for DIY Alarm Time System" which is what I used for my DIY'd brick mailbox many many years ago.

I wrote about using this sensor here a few years back.

Cocoontech Blogs

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If you already have or don't mind adding a 433Mhz receiver to your setup:

https://compatible.openmqttgateway.c...-shock-sensor/

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
        If you already have or don't mind adding a 433Mhz receiver to your setup:
        I do have an RFXCom that I never used much... though I recall it being tedious to configure/use. And I'm trying to move things into VMs, and USB raises... complications in that regard.

Comment

Heh, an earthquake sensor would be a fun way to approach it.

Comment

This zigbee aqara sensor should work well: https://www.aqara.com/us/vibration_sensor.html

I have one mounted on a safe door to send me email anytime it's opened, but it also picks up vibration if I bump the safe as well. Cheap and effective, and works well with jowihue's zigbee PI.

Comment

Easy Peasy. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15269

I have one of these attached to a basket that I need to check every day. If it moves, I know it and I have a counter to count how many times it gets moved. Takes 5 minutes to set add to your Z-Net and create a counter for it.

Comment

What's the simplest way to watch values changing for vibration? Send a debug message to the log? I picked up an Aqara sensor and want to get a better idea how much vibration different activities generate.

EDIT: Figured it out, sort of, using an immediate script. 2771 is the 'Vibration Strength' value for the Aqara sensor.

&nhs.WriteLog("Vibration", "Vibration Strength: " & hs.DeviceValue(2771))

Now I just have to devise an effective scheme to recognize the action. Sort of like a 'tilt' function on a pinball machine? I want to avoid false positives, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                  Easy Peasy. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15269

I have one of these attached to a basket that I need to check every day. If it moves, I know it and I have a counter to count how many times it gets moved. Takes 5 minutes to set add to your Z-Net and create a counter for it.
                  Huh, I had one of those and imported in into HS and it never fired. This was a while back, so maybe some of the kinks have been worked out.
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                  X