Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR Blaster with local control

Hi,

I'm easily finding IR "universal remotes" and blasters that are WiFi, but I can't seem to find much on a Zigbee or Z-Wave one.
    Could someone please recommend one?

I'm looking to control AC and ceiling fan.

I found info about Somfy brand and Open Park brand IR blasters, but both appear to be discontinued (or nowhere on sale in the US).

Thank you.

I doubt if you will find much on Zwave or Zigbee because the amount of data to transmit is long for IR codes. The Z technologies are oriented to small packets of information. The Broadlink RM series works well with mcsMQTT plugin.

Suggest looking closely at the fan. Fans are often RF rather than IR with brands like Hunter using a RF frequency that is not the common 310 MHz or 433 MHz. For the common ones the Broadlink RM4 Pro does well with both IR and RF using mcsMQTT. For the other RF range then Bond is the best choice. AlexBK makes a Bond plugin.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      My AC is IR, I checked.
      My fan is dumb right now, I will have to buy a conversion kit to make it remote controlled anyway.

I looked at Broadlink, they're wifi technologies right? I have this fear of investing into hardware that depends on the company maintaining server, and the company goes belly up and I'm left with a pricey brick. That's why my goal is to build the whole house automation on local control.

Comment

The mcsMQTT pluign talks directly to the Broadlnk IR/RF device. There is no cloud involved. You of course need to set it up to use mcsMQTT on the local network rather than using the Broadlink App to connect to the cloud.

Comment

This is super helpful, thank you!
          I see the plugin is available for HS4, I'll play with it.

Could you, please, explain what does it mean "set up to use mcsMQTT on the local network"?

I'm new to home automation. I just connected my first light bulbs and smart outlets this week. I'm learning.

Comment

If you want a Z-wave to IR solution:

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...ioners-zxt-600

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
              If you want a Z-wave to IR solution:

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...ioners-zxt-600
              Ooooh, I'm listening. This looks exactly like what I need, I guess my google mojo needs improvement if I couldn't find it myself.
              Did you use it yourself?

I know Broadlink is known to learn well, I wonder how is this one. I have minisplit Mitsubishi AC and will get a no-name IR fan converter, so I need blaster that can learn remote codes.

Comment

Remotec's have been used by many Homeseer users, search the forums. I personally have not used one, but it is on my priority list to get a Homeseer-to-IR solution in place since I have several mini-split head units installed throughout my house. Because I have several I'm price sensitive since whatever solution I pick will have to be installed in several rooms in order to control the A/C for those areas.

Comment

"set up to use mcsMQTT on the local network"
                  Typical of most cloud-based products, the hardware first needs to get onto the local network before it is able to communicate with the cloud server and then to "login" to the cloud account that had previously been setup when the App was installed on the smartphone. Rather than logging into the cloud account, the hardware will be connecting to the local server provided by mcsMQTT. This is a one-time setup.

Comment

Remotec's have been used by many Homeseer users, search the forums. I personally have not used one, but it is on my priority list to get a Homeseer-to-IR solution in place since I have several mini-split head units installed throughout my house. Because I have several I'm price sensitive since whatever solution I pick will have to be installed in several rooms in order to control the A/C for those areas.
                    The older Remotec zxt-120, which has more features than the newer zxt-600 but fewer out of the box supported units, can be had on Ebay for around $30. I just bought a bunch of them to support new Mitsu ductless units. They had to be configured in learning mode, but they're great. I've used them for a few years now, and bought a bunch as spares since they're no longer made.

Comment

Originally posted by HSAccord View Post

The older Remotec zxt-120, which has more features than the newer zxt-600 but fewer out of the box supported units, can be had on Ebay for around $30. I just bought a bunch of them to support new Mitsu ductless units. They had to be configured in learning mode, but they're great. I've used them for a few years now, and bought a bunch as spares since they're no longer made.
                      Thank you!

Do you know if this device can be taught to control another IR device too? I'm looking for controlling a ceiling fan.

Comment

Originally posted by smartreptile View Post

Thank you!

Do you know if this device can be taught to control another IR device too? I'm looking for controlling a ceiling fan.
                        I don't believe they're made for anything other than AC units, and definitely cannot do the RF required for most fans. Might be worth trying via the learning function though if your fan supports IR. The devices they create in Homeseer are absolutely designed around controlling HVAC.

If you want IR for non-AC/non-fan devices I recommend getting an Itach GlobalCache device. They're slightly more expensive at around $100 but well supported by an HS plugin without any faffing about. I think that plugin is free.

Comment

HSAccord thanks for the heads up on these units. Do you use them as battery powered or USB powered? If on battery, how long do they typically last?

I also noticed on the zxt-120 that there is no parameter for AUTO/Fan mode, yet there is on the newer 600s. How do do get around that? Do you use the learning mode to use one of the temperature storage slots for AUTO mode (or some other function not listed)?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

Typical of most cloud-based products, the hardware first needs to get onto the local network before it is able to communicate with the cloud server and then to "login" to the cloud account that had previously been setup when the App was installed on the smartphone. Rather than logging into the cloud account, the hardware will be connecting to the local server provided by mcsMQTT. This is a one-time setup.
                            Thank you very much!

I found an excellent manual you wrote on mcsMQTT. I might not read the entire 491 pages, but I see the relevant part for Broadlink.
                            Respect for you good Sir.

Comment

HSAccord thanks for the heads up on these units. Do you use them as battery powered or USB powered? If on battery, how long do they typically last?

I also noticed on the zxt-120 that there is no parameter for AUTO/Fan mode, yet there is on the newer 600s. How do do get around that? Do you use the learning mode to use one of the temperature storage slots for AUTO mode (or some other function not listed)?
                              I only have used them via USB, so can't speak to battery life.

For the one ductless fan unit I've been able to find a code for (Gree Cooling), Auto and Fan mode work fine.

For the ones I programmed manually I just don't use those modes. Fan mode didn't matter to me for my usage, whereas Dry Mode did. 600's don't support Dry Mode.

For auto mode I just rely on HS to manage which mode it's in, factoring in a lot of data.

Comment

Working...
                              X