Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed up with Homeseer on Win10. Easy migration to linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fed up with Homeseer on Win10. Easy migration to linux?

I have a microcomputer with windows 10 on it and after a couple of years, I still haven't figured out how to keep windows from going down and rebooting itself.

It seems that Windows Defender is the primary problem. When it does updates, Homeseer auto restart doesn't execute and my Homeseer is down until I do another reboot.

Is there a better Windows Experience or should I just move to Linux? Does Linux have it's own set of problems I'm not aware of?

Is there an easy way to migrate to Linux on the same box?

I have available:

Raspberry Pi 1 B+
    Raspberry Pi 4
    VMWare Workstation 16 (No license)

Any suggestions? Should I build a Linux VM and just leave it there and let it run from there?

Should I Build a Linux VM, migrate there, then rebuild the MicroPC with Linux and Migrate it back?

I like using VM's, but I'm not sure I want a VM running on my workstation 24/7.

Should I put EXSI on my micro PC and build a linux VM in that?

Any recommendation on the flavor of Linux to use?

I know that's a ton of questions, but I want this system to be up all the time, not just one to two weeks at a time.

My micro-windows box has been solid for many months. However I do an auto reboot every night because one plugin (Acmeda Pulse 2) doesn't behave well over a few days. Maybe that saves me from your experience.
    If part of your problem is that HS doesn't restart, are you using the task manager method?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMatthews View Post
      My micro-windows box has been solid for many months. However I do an auto reboot every night because one plugin (Acmeda Pulse 2) doesn't behave well over a few days. Maybe that saves me from your experience.
      If part of your problem is that HS doesn't restart, are you using the task manager method?
      Yes, this is what I use now and it's flawless during windows updates and auto reboots.

But every few weeks and sometimes if they identify critical threats, every few days, Windows Defender with update and require a reboot.

When that happens, task scheduler always fails to start HS4. I suspect the Windows Defender suspends Task Scheduler jobs so it can scan boot sectors and/or memory for infected items as it boots.

And Microsoft seems to dole these out at around 8PM, so in the evenings when this happens I use the system all evening as normal, then suddenly nothing. 🤬

So, yeah, I'm comfortable enough with Linux and VMWare to make the switch and hopefully just eliminate these issues. Just trying to get advice on the best way to do it.

Comment

Using latest flavor of Ubuntu LTS on 4 Lenova and 2 HP floating laptops and current desktop.
        Recently installed Windows 10 Enterprise on another HP laptop. I like it much more than Windows 10 Pro. I also like Windows 2016 server much more than Windows 10 (any flavor).

I helped a user on the forum convert his HS3 on a Lenova Laptop over to W2016. He has not had any issues with it in a couple of years now.

Better Windows experience ==> Windows 2016 standard server - simple, fast with NO Windows 10 fluff or Windows 10 Enterprise - with no Windows 10 Pro fluff

Best Linux for HS3 experience ==> XUbuntu running on an Intel CPU.

For the Homeseer Ubuntu boxes using XUbuntu.

Here using a micro Intel Atom PC for HS3 "lite" - HS3 box #1

Specifications Beelink BT3 Pro II Intel Atom X5-Z8350 / 4GB / 64GB - MiniPC:
        • Processor: Intel Atom X5-Z8350.
        • Speed: 1.92GHz.
        • Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics.
        • RAM: 4GB.
        • Internal storage: 64GB.
        • SD Card: Yes, up to 128GB.
        • Compatible with external hard drives and USB.
        I wiped the 64Gb eMMC and installed XUbuntu 18.04 on it.

Installed:

HS3 lite
        Home Assistant running in Docker
        Oracle Virtual box
        MQTT Broker

I was pushing it a bit with Oracle Virtual Box so removed it right after I installed it and ran a very lite W7e instance.

It was fine for about 1-2 years.

Recently it got a tad slow so removed Home Assistant.

HS3 Pro box running on an Intel Haswell chipset MB with 16 Gb of RAM - Homeseer box #2

XUbuntu 18.04 - for HS3 Pro
        Oracle VB of W7E running Homeseer Speaker (5 instances) and some 20 SAPI speech fonts - runs great

New XUbuntu 20.04 HS4 Pro box - still testing / tinkering Kaby Lake G4560 / 32Gb of RAM - old now. Box #3

HSPro
        Changing MQTT broker to this box.
        HASSIO
        Oracle VB (copy of the one running on the HS3 box - SAPI TTS build - 5 instances of speaker and multiple TTS voice fonts)

Recently acquired another Lenova Tiny M93A. (4 now). One is running Windows 2016 and the other three are running Ubuntu 20.04 server.
        Nice little lite computers.

Personally turned not using the RPi's much these days. Using Intel CPUs for HS mostly because I can run Virtual box on it.

Except Have one in the attic configured like a ZNet device powered POE and another one there used as a Lightning sensor and another RPi in the attic connected to an SD Radio to capture NOAA weather maps.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I run Window10 and do NOT use the Windows Task Scheduler. The simplest and always reliable method I have found is to put a shortcut, in the Windows "start" folder, to a .cmd file in the HS3 directory.

Call the file "RestartHS3.cmd:

cd "C:\Homeseer HS3"
          start HS3.exe
          cls

And of course you must setup Windows to auto log-in.

Comment

Today suggested to another Homeseer user having issues with Windows 10 to disable using Windows Task Scheduler (the root of all of his issues) and switch over to using Startup Delayer instead.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
              I run Window10 and do NOT use the Windows Task Scheduler. The simplest and always reliable method I have found is to put a shortcut, in the Windows "start" folder, to a .cmd file in the HS3 directory.

Call the file "RestartHS3.cmd:

cd "C:\Homeseer HS3"
              start HS3.exe
              cls

And of course you must setup Windows to auto log-in.
              Maybe I’ll try this before I go hog wild tearing down OS’es and building VM’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Today suggested to another Homeseer user having issues with Windows 10 to disable using Windows Task Scheduler (the root of all of his issues) and switch over to using Startup Delayer instead.
                Ill try this second.

Comment

Using latest flavor of Ubuntu LTS on 4 Lenova and 2 HP floating laptops and current desktop.
                  Recently installed Windows 10 Enterprise on another HP laptop. I like it much more than Windows 10 Pro. I also like Windows 2016 server much more than Windows 10 (any flavor).

I helped a user on the forum convert his HS3 on a Lenova Laptop over to W2016. He has not had any issues with it in a couple of years now.

Better Windows experience ==> Windows 2016 standard server - simple, fast with NO Windows 10 fluff or Windows 10 Enterprise - with no Windows 10 Pro fluff

Best Linux for HS3 experience ==> XUbuntu running on an Intel CPU.

For the Homeseer Ubuntu boxes using XUbuntu.

Here using a micro Intel Atom PC for HS3 "lite" - HS3 box #1

Specifications Beelink BT3 Pro II Intel Atom X5-Z8350 / 4GB / 64GB - MiniPC:
                  • Processor: Intel Atom X5-Z8350.
                  • Speed: 1.92GHz.
                  • Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics.
                  • RAM: 4GB.
                  • Internal storage: 64GB.
                  • SD Card: Yes, up to 128GB.
                  • Compatible with external hard drives and USB.
                  I wiped the 64Gb eMMC and installed XUbuntu 18.04 on it.

Installed:

HS3 lite
                  Home Assistant running in Docker
                  Oracle Virtual box
                  MQTT Broker

I was pushing it a bit with Oracle Virtual Box so removed it right after I installed it and ran a very lite W7e instance.

It was fine for about 1-2 years.

Recently it got a tad slow so removed Home Assistant.

HS3 Pro box running on an Intel Haswell chipset MB with 16 Gb of RAM - Homeseer box #2

XUbuntu 18.04 - for HS3 Pro
                  Oracle VB of W7E running Homeseer Speaker (5 instances) and some 20 SAPI speech fonts - runs great

New XUbuntu 20.04 HS4 Pro box - still testing / tinkering Kaby Lake G4560 / 32Gb of RAM - old now. Box #3

HSPro
                  Changing MQTT broker to this box.
                  HASSIO
                  Oracle VB (copy of the one running on the HS3 box - SAPI TTS build - 5 instances of speaker and multiple TTS voice fonts)

Recently acquired another Lenova Tiny M93A. (4 now). One is running Windows 2016 and the other three are running Ubuntu 20.04 server.
                  Nice little lite computers.

Personally turned not using the RPi's much these days. Using Intel CPUs for HS mostly because I can run Virtual box on it.

Except Have one in the attic configured like a ZNet device powered POE and another one there used as a Lightning sensor and another RPi in the attic connected to an SD Radio to capture NOAA weather maps.
                  I like the idea of windows Server 201X. I’ll try this if the other two startup suggestions don’t work.

if that fails, I’m tearing it all down, installing Exsi, and putting Linux on a VM.

Comment

I use start up delayer on a Windows 7E configuration to start 5 speaker.exe instances.

Works great. There are many folks here on the forum using it to start up their Windows version of Homeseer.

Windows 2016 has never crashed on me. Windows 2003 for HS2 never crashed on me. Linux has never crashed either (Intel / AMD / ARM).
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I run HS4 on a Windows 10 laptop. I use Startup Delayer that will start HomeSeer if there is a reboot. Every now and then for some weird reason Homeseer will shutdown for no reason. I found a program called Kiwi. I set Kiwi to watch HS4 and if it stops Kiwi restarts Homeseer. The only time I have an issue is if the computer reboots after an update and when Windows starts there will be a dialog box waiting for input. That is really rare but it happens.

Jim

Comment

I use start up delayer on a Windows 7E configuration to start 5 speaker.exe instances.

Works great. There are many folks here on the forum using it to start up their Windows version of Homeseer.

Windows 2016 has never crashed on me. Windows 2003 for HS2 never crashed on me. Linux has never crashed either (Intel / AMD / ARM).
                        And to be fair (and clear), HS3 and HS4 don’t crash on me, nor does Win10. HS just fails to restart on a reboot under some circumstances.

Comment

I'm also running on Windows 2016 server hosting HS3 as a Fire Daemon service with 100% reliability. I only restart after Windows updates - which happens after 2nd Tuesday of each month. As Pete says, it's actually fairly lightweight. In my opinion, Win2k16 has been the most reliable server I've used... and I go back to NT 4 running HS 1.6 and have run all servers since. Win2k3 was also very good. When I rebuilt from HS2 to HS3,I considered going the Linux route, but am happy with Windows.
                          I'll get to implement my HS4 license later in the year when I expect to have more free time.
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

You did not say which Win 10 version you are running.

With Win 10 Pro, you can modify Windows Update behavior (including wait for user input) via the policy editor.

Another tool which I wrote is to give notifications of Windows Updates via Homeseer: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4
                            Jon

Comment

Yes, I've implemented the change Jon mentioned on my Laptop running Windows 10 Pro. Also make great use of Jon's update monitor script as I rarely log into my system. Thanks again Jon!
                              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                              X