Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust for sunset and sunrise times in winter and summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I wanted to do something like that, I would use separate events (or utilize the "OrIf"):

If time is sunrise - 30
    AndIf Virutal switch Season = Winter
    OrIf time is sunrise + 30
    AndIf Virtual switch Season = Summer
    Then....

Comment

Don't get the problem here? My (Windows) system adjust the time. hs.sunrise/hs.sunset times are adjusted accordanly. No need to have any event questioning if it is winter, summer time setting? Even on the day times are changed I do not need to change anything on my wakeup times, which are controlled by HS?

Aside from that, I use light sensors which really decide when it is gets darker. Very handy when a storm passes?
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

w.vuyk where I come from, sunrise in the winter is much darker than sunrise in the summer. And the same for sunset in the winter is much darker earlier than sunset in the winter. Therefore, I have to adjust the +/- times as the year goes on to adjust for the lightness and darkness of the seasons. For instance, in the winter, sunset might be 5:00 pm but it will be darker before then and I would want the lights on. But in the spring and summer sunset might be 8:00 pm but if I have the same setting that I had setup for winter, say sunset -30 minutes, this would actually turn the lights on too early in the summer because it is much lighter 30 minutes before sunset in the summer. Hope this makes sense. It is just the way it is, so I have to adjust for it.

Comment

What would happen if you simply moved your location setting further north to exagerate the difference between Summer and Winter light?

Comment

That all seems complicated. If you want a smooth adjustment you will have to create pretty long conditions. Further, you have to take DST into account. I wish there was an easier solution where you can draw a graph over a year and then use that as a trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
              w.vuyk where I come from, sunrise in the winter is much darker than sunrise in the summer. And the same for sunset in the winter is much darker earlier than sunset in the winter. Therefore, I have to adjust the +/- times as the year goes on to adjust for the lightness and darkness of the seasons. For instance, in the winter, sunset might be 5:00 pm but it will be darker before then and I would want the lights on. But in the spring and summer sunset might be 8:00 pm but if I have the same setting that I had setup for winter, say sunset -30 minutes, this would actually turn the lights on too early in the summer because it is much lighter 30 minutes before sunset in the summer. Hope this makes sense. It is just the way it is, so I have to adjust for it.
              pcgirl65

So using a light sensor would solve the difference maybe? Here in winter I have the same issue, around 16:00 I need lights, summer light is still good at 22:00 DST. So I have set the sunset/sunrise events to determine if it is day or nighttime, but at they trigger mainly on light or dark based on the sensors. This way lights only go on or off based on true light status. So it can be night time, but if light lingers longer, lights won't switch on, unless it is measured dark. Works perfect here.

BTW, my system follows DST and with the coordinates set correctly, HS uses the correct sunrise and sunset times based on DST or wintertime

Wim
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

w.vuyk What light sensor are you using? I have a wireless one but it's running out of batteries pretty fast. I have Ethernet cables to most of my windows so I could use that to use some wired sensors. However, we have trees that throw different shadows depending of the day of the year, awnings that can be extended or not extended, etc. and all of that throws things off. I should have planned for cables on the wall for a light sensors. Too late now. Maybe a weather station on the roof could work.

Comment

I am using aqara light - and motion sensors that include light sensors - (shade spot front and back of the house) and light sensors from the Philips hue outdoor sensors - temperature, light and motion (front and back of the house). Batteries on all of these are good for around 3 years.
                  Based on a period of measuring I set a virtual device to "Light" or "Dark" based on average values of all sensors. Each sensor will show different measures of course because of the spot they are on.

I have trees too, but because I am using several sensors, they are not of much influence. But clouds are of a clear influence, but that is when you could want the lights to go on right?

-- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    That all seems complicated. If you want a smooth adjustment you will have to create pretty long conditions. Further, you have to take DST into account. I wish there was an easier solution where you can draw a graph over a year and then use that as a trigger.
                    Use sunset as the trigger. If you are in a place which uses DST the computer tube covers that. I use a longer summer offset because the duration of twilight is longer in the summer. I COULD do some math problem to work out a more accurate point, but I don't need that. I just need a rough change. Hence the 2 different ""After Sunset" times. I don't care what the hour is.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I do not use light sensors currently because of heavy thunderstorms. It gets dark when they occur and I don't need to run the exterior lights during them. I may install some arduinos (D1 Minis) with a TSL2561 to control the shades when they come in, though.
                      Karl S
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      1070 Devices
                      56 Z-Wave Nodes
                      104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                        I have a few events that rely on sunset and sunrise times but I find that I am always having to change the +/- adjustments to time because sunset in winter is a lot darker than sunsets in spring and summer. And the same for sunrises. So if I have an event to turn on some lights at sunrise, I am finding I am adjusting the +/- over the months as the days get lighter or darker. How does everyone handle this?
                        Could you use the azimuth within an event to do this?
                        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...osition-script
                        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                        "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

You could also use Node Red and the BigTimer node which gives various times such as dusk. But if you're needs are not that accurate there is no sense in going outside HomeSeer.
                          Karl S
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          1070 Devices
                          56 Z-Wave Nodes
                          104 Events

Comment

I'm using a light sensor (Ambient Weather Station) and a solar azimuth and altitude script found here. It is good for HVAC (accounting for solar heating of interior features like a tile floor), controlling blinds and drapes (direct sun on furniture and artwork is a no-no), direct rays of the sun on things like patios and pools (suppress the nag screen to check the pool and add sanitizer until after direct sun), etc.

I found that using concepts like "sunrise" and "sunset" were a bit meaningless due to the absence or thickness of cloud cover and light beam direction from the sun. Couple that with the shortcomings of the HS event engine when trying to span a year and you quickly end up with a wordy logical jigsaw puzzle. I've gradually moved away from those faux (fluctuating standard or daylight "saving") time-based concepts because what I really wanted, anyway, was to know how much light was available and where it was coming from. What day, month, or year it was really was for the part superfluous as I was looking for consistent behavior and I could program around the singular holiday or vacation without issue as a special case.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                            Home Assistant 2024.3
                            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                            X