HS3 Events Stalled... - cause found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Events Stalled... - cause found!

I have been experiencing a situation where events just don't trigger when they should. This first came to light when I was setting up a Zoos Zen34 switch. I would see a message in the HS3 log indicating the Zen34 had a button pressed, but the corresponding event which should trigger doesn't trigger. If I restart Homeseer and press the same button the event triggers. This tells me nothing is wrong with my Event trigger, and nothing is wrong with the switch. For whatever reason, my events get completely stalled. If I use the Web Interface to turn ON/OFF devices, it works instantly, if I manually try to run an Event with the Web Interface, there is a log entry that the Event was triggerd by the Event page run button ... but nothing happens, the event does not run. Are events run in a linear fashion, is there a way to determine if I somehow have a long running event that is effectively stopping subsequent events from running?

Are you using the beta Z-Wave plugin? If so this could be an issue with that plugin.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm using Zwave plugin 3.0.2.0 ... don't think its beta.

Comment

When it happens, check your CPU - this happens to me if the HS3.exe goes over 50%

Comment

It just happened again, HS3.exe was at only 15%... I've disabled polling to see if that improves things (at the global level via Manage Plug-ins).

Comment

That's a good step as polling shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary as most new Z-Wave devices report their status. Polling can bring a Z-Wave network to a drag as well causing other issues.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

My issues with events grinding to a halt persist... even with polling disabled. When I look at the log, there is not alot happening when I notice this symptom, although this could be that by the time I notice the events could have been stalled for who knows how long. Restarting HS3 resolves the issue. I've setup a loop between Alexa and Homeseer so that I can periodically check if Homeseer is executing events. I tell Alexa "Check Homeseer", Alexa responds "Checking" then triggers a scene (which is a Homeseer event); the scene (via Voice Monkey) triggers Alexa to then say "Homeseer is alive and well". If events are stuck, I never hear anything after "checking" --- I've found in this state a few times. This is still a complete mystery to me, since when this happens, device status updates still show up in the log, the Device Web page is up to date, but device changes that should trigger events don't trigger the events ... I thought I could somehow automagically get Homeseer to shutdown and restart when this happens, but alas, even if I created an event to do this, the event wouldn't run! Is there something I could do with Windows Scheduler to take care of this issue (ie. have a daily and/or on demand shutdown/startup of Homeseer)?

Comment

I have the same problem. I get it when there is a bunch of reports from Fibaro PIRs - the HS3 CPU heads to 50% and events don't happen. I installed Jon00s PerfMon and watched all the metrics and tried to compare with the logs. It also has a restart mechanism that, for triggers a restart if the CPU is > 50% over two readings.

Comment

Do what I've recommended and it's tried and true. The current plugin is broken. Get @jon00's restart plugin and create an event to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3 hours. Doing that has fixed my stalls and haunted house behavior.

Comment

George --- thanks for your suggestion. I use jon00's restart plugin to restart the Z-Wave plugin whenever a Zwave Error is encountered --- this works well. I could setup a recurring event that performs this every 3 hours as you suggest, however, my problem is that all my events come to a complete standstill (eg. my events linked to sunrise / sunset don't run...nothing runs), hence, I don't think I can count on the event running every 3 hours.

ScottRennie --- yes, I have 3 Fibaro PIRs and I noticed alot of noise from them reporting wild variations in LUX levels -- I used parameters 40 & 42 I believe, to effectively disable all of this spurious Z-wave traffic, but it didn't resolve my event stalls. I will look into the jon00 PerfMon to see if that can help, although, the last time I noticed events stalling my CPU was at only 15%...

Something else I am trying is running an hourly event that annuciates via Alexa (voice monkey trigger) that Homeseer is alive and well --- at least this way I should be able to pinpoint within an hour what is leading up to the event standstill (ie. when the hourly event fails to trigger)...

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Comment

Dhuras Three hours work for me because I don't have a ton of recurring lighting events. Most are trigger and respond.

To an old software developer, analyst turned Chief Information Officer, so it smells to me that some kind of buffer overflow is happening in the plugin, or a memory leak, which causes it to hang up. Restarting for me every three hours was a good balance. Of course, I could restart every hour, but the plugin does take about 5-8 real seconds to restart and restarting it too often you can end up being in a middle of startup when an event fires.

I tried 4 and 5 minutes and the instability got worse, and got better the lower I went.

I have a fast machine Core I7 3.9ghz overclocked that HS3 is running on and I just upgraded it as well from multiple Raid 5 7200 rpm drives to SSD SATA 6 so I may go to timing the restarts again and if they are faster I may drop it down to 2 hours. But at 3, I notice that sometimes a light won't come on or misses a door opening about once a week or so, so that's a good balance.

Your mileage may vary depending on the response time of your system.

Comment

George, Thanks --- I am seeing the light; if I can pre-empt the event freeze by restarting the Z-Wave plug-in periodically (eg. every 3 hours), then in theory I should not experience event freeze in future.

However, one concern that I do have is that I am not convinced that the Z-Wave traffic is causing the event freeze --- the Z-Wave message are being picked up by Homeseer and Device Status is being updated, and the log contains Z-wave incoming messaging --- if Z-Wave was causing the event freeze, my expectation would be that all Z-Wave traffic would come to a standstill?

In any event (ha ha), I think you're right, some kind of buffer overflow and/or memory leak is causing the event freeze --- the issue will be to pinpoint root cause, is it the HS3 code itself, or a plug-in, or event a script I am running..... the only script I am running of any consequence is the Environment Canada series...

Comment

Originally posted by Dhuras View Post
                          George, Thanks --- I am seeing the light; if I can pre-empt the event freeze by restarting the Z-Wave plug-in periodically (eg. every 3 hours), then in theory I should not experience event freeze in future.

However, one concern that I do have is that I am not convinced that the Z-Wave traffic is causing the event freeze --- the Z-Wave message are being picked up by Homeseer and Device Status is being updated, and the log contains Z-wave incoming messaging --- if Z-Wave was causing the event freeze, my expectation would be that all Z-Wave traffic would come to a standstill?

In any event (ha ha), I think you're right, some kind of buffer overflow and/or memory leak is causing the event freeze --- the issue will be to pinpoint root cause, is it the HS3 code itself, or a plug-in, or event a script I am running..... the only script I am running of any consequence is the Environment Canada series...
                          Let me know if you try it and if it helps. At least that's another data point that it's a plugin bug.
                          g

Comment

I experienced another situation with Events not triggering; rather than simply stopping and restarting Homeseer as I've done in the past, I elected to manually disable then re-enable the Z-Wave plug-in. This immediately alleviated the problem and would seem to point to the Z-Wave plug-in as being the root cause of my issues. Your suggestion to periodically restart the plug-in should work... we'll see, I know have an event that restarts it every 3-hours... Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhuras View Post
                              I experienced another situation with Events not triggering; rather than simply stopping and restarting Homeseer as I've done in the past, I elected to manually disable then re-enable the Z-Wave plug-in. This immediately alleviated the problem and would seem to point to the Z-Wave plug-in as being the root cause of my issues. Your suggestion to periodically restart the plug-in should work... we'll see, I know have an event that restarts it every 3-hours... Thanks again.
                              Yuppers! 22 years of running HS and as a software developer gives me a little insight.

Comment

Working...
                              X