Windows 10 upgrade path and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George View Post
    ... Do they come with WIn 10 Home or Pro, I'd need the Pro to do the advanced networking functions. ...
    You can buy licenses here to upgrade to pro.

https://buy.recycled-software.com/windows-10
    -Skybolt

Comment

Requesting help here updating a longtime Homeeer user's S6 from HS3 to HS4 this week.

User is familiar with HS3 but not really that familiar with Windows 10.

Personally run HS3 and HS4 on Ubuntu. HS4 is running on new hardware.

I am not much of a Windows person these days. I want him to be able to fail over to his HS3 build.

So this is the way i want to do this. Please chime in if I am wrong.

1 - Shut down HS3
      2 - back up HS3 directory
      3 - Install HS4 in HS3 directory

Failover will be renaming or backing up HS4 directory and replacing it with old running HS3 directory.

Will this work?

Testing my typing here with tablet on a kickstand and wireless BT combo keyboard and mouse pad while sitting in my hot tub.

Hottest I could stand for 25 minutes or so. Taking a break now and bringing up the temperature. Need a water proof BT keyboard.

Ahh found a wireless full sized Bluetooth keyboard with mouse pad on Ebay...prices are all over the place...the current one works but is too small for me.

Wireless Keyboard Portable Waterproof Magnetic Bluetooth Keypad for Surface pro*
      eBay item number: 353456153142
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Requesting help here updating a longtime Homeeer user's S6 from HS3 to HS4 this week.

User is familiar with HS3 but not really that familiar with Windows 10.

Personally run HS3 and HS4 on Ubuntu. HS4 is running on new hardware.

I am not much of a Windows person these days. I want him to be able to fail over to his HS3 build.

So this is the way i want to do this. Please chime in if I am wrong.

1 - Shut down HS3
        2 - back up HS3 directory
        3 - Install HS4 in HS3 directory

Failover will be renaming or backing up HS4 directory and replacing it with old running HS3 directory.

Will this work?

Testing my typing here with tablet on a kickstand and wireless BT combo keyboard and mouse pad while sitting in my hot tub.

Hottest I could stand for 25 minutes or so. Taking a break now and bringing up the temperature. Need a water proof BT keyboard.

Ahh found a wireless full sized Bluetooth keyboard with mouse pad on Ebay...prices are all over the place...the current one works but is too small for me.

Wireless Keyboard Portable Waterproof Magnetic Bluetooth Keypad for Surface pro*
        eBay item number: 353456153142
        I also have the S6 with Windows 7 embedded. Would be nice if Homeseer provided an upgrade path to Windows 10 (@rjh?).

Is there an upgrade process anyone has documented for the S6 that I haven't found?

Comment

Read looked at the S6 running Windows 10. It looks like Windows 10 Home to me. I've been told it is embedded.

I have tinkered with Windows 8.1 embedded and users S6 did not look like Windows 8.1 embedded. (thinking system properties said WIndows 10 Home.

I'll know more when I ugprade the computer to HS4.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Read looked at the S6 running Windows 10. It looks like Windows 10 Home to me. I've been told it is embedded.

I have tinkered with Windows 8.1 embedded and users S6 did not look like Windows 8.1 embedded. (thinking system properties said WIndows 10 Home.

I'll know more when I ugprade the computer to HS4.
            Thanks Pete. I could probably upgrade my S6 to Windows 10? But the embedded windows would remain Windows 7. And the restore process of the S6 would revert to Windows 7 if I used the restore process (which I did once before). As I understand it, Homeseer would need to sell a new drive for the device with Windows 10 embedded. So far, they have not offered this option that I am aware.

Edit: the new S6 controllers have Windows 10 embedded installed. The simple answer would be to offer a replacement drive for previously sold S6 controllers. rjh?

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              Free versus buy a 4th computer. You can paypal me the $1500 whenever you'd like.
              Mine cost me $223 from Amazon. Bought it used. Cost me <9ยข a day over these 7ish years.

Comment

I'm going to try to get the free Win 10 upgrade from M$, if that doesn't work I may look into one of these.. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I've run the windows updater, and it's downloaded windows 10 and it's burned a bootable USB stick installer.
                  Tonight going to download Driver Magician Lite and backup all the drivers.

Tomorrow I'm going to push the big BUTTON and see what happens.

As I said, I don't run much on that server, just HS3, Quicken and Quickbooks. WIth QuickBooks (Intuit TARDS) forcing me to upgrade it to Windows 10!

X your fingers. You may see just one post from me or a whole string of posts depending on how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X