Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 upgrade path and help

All,

As I wrote in a previous post, I'm running a very stable Win 7 system, but butthead's like Intuit have stopped even loading their new versions on Windows 7.

I looked and the free M$ upgrade to Windows 10 is still available.
    My plan is to try to upgrade to W10, and see what breaks.

Then if that works, go through the HS 4 upgrade after letting things settle down and testing all my other software.

Is there a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade topic somewhere that I can review.

If not, has anyone done the free Win 10 upgrade (I'm running Win 7 Pro, so I should be upgraded to W10 Pro) and how did it go and how did you do it.

I plan up backing up the crap out of my current system and also creating a clone recovery disk. I can't afford to have a dead house.

Thanks in advance,
    George

I've upgraded quite a few Win 7 machines to Win 10 without much trouble. That said, these upgrades were done way, way back. I can't speak on HS4 as I'm still holding off.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Here when I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro it just used the old licenses auto magically to go to Windows 10 Pro.

Didn't do anything special. I have read of leftovers of Windows 7 and WIndows 8.1 causing a couple of issues with Windows 10 Pro.

Recently here have had issue with a Windows 10 tablet that was updated from Windows 8.1. I get an error that there is not enough space for the update. I have to go to the EFI boot partition and delete some font files which works for me and allows the update. Got tired of this so gave the EFI boot partition another 50 Mb yesterday using MiniTools partition manager. Also on this tablet I am dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

I read some place that this issue is related to the old Windows 8.1 configuration of the system, boot, et all partitions.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Several of my systems were upgraded to windows 10 that way. Only 1 had an issue that caused me to roll it back to windows 7 and even that process was seamless. I would say you would want a minimum of a dual core processor and 8 gb of ram to be successful.

Comment

I had no trouble upgrading Win7 to Win10, but like ServiceXp that was quite a while ago. One thing I also did - to resolve a subsequent problem - is something I would recommend you do as soon as possible after the upgrade. That is, do a clean install of Win10. It's relatively easy to do, but you will need to reinstall all applications. It removes all traces of the upgrade, and it definitely made my system run more smoothly.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
            Several of my systems were upgraded to windows 10 that way. Only 1 had an issue that caused me to roll it back to windows 7 and even that process was seamless. I would say you would want a minimum of a dual core processor and 8 gb of ram to be successful.
            Thanks,

I have a 8 core Intel Core i7 and 32 gig

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              I had no trouble upgrading Win7 to Win10, but like ServiceXp that was quite a while ago. One thing I also did - to resolve a subsequent problem - is something I would recommend you do as soon as possible after the upgrade. That is, do a clean install of Win10. It's relatively easy to do, but you will need to reinstall all applications. It removes all traces of the upgrade, and it definitely made my system run more smoothly.
              Eak! Clean installs scare the be-Jesus out of me because you never know exactly what the old stuff and especially drivers that you have that would not get carried over and you'd never know it until thing start to fail.

I may put up with a little slower system and do some fine tuning as time allows as the only thing running on the Core i7 32 Gig machine with SSD is HS3. It's sort of a dedicated server. The only other things I have on it are my financial programs like Quicken and QuickBooks Pro. And I only bring them up when I need to connect to the bank, write checks or do payroll, etc. Otherwise they are not running at all.

Intuit is notorious to putting sh_t in dumb assed weird places and then things go to a pot in a handful. If you have Quickbooks, just try to find the QBW file. Is it in the QB folder, nope, in any folder called Intuit, nope, in and data folders, nope. Its in the (user)/public/something weird folder! And you have to Google to know how to find it because no where in Quickbooks does it show the path to the company file. Grrrrrrrr! DUMB ASSES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Eak! Clean installs scare the be-Jesus out of me because you never know exactly what the old stuff and especially drivers that you have that would not get carried over and you'd never know it until thing start to fail.

I may put up with a little slower system and do some fine tuning as time allows as the only thing running on the Core i7 32 Gig machine with SSD is HS3. It's sort of a dedicated server. The only other things I have on it are my financial programs like Quicken and QuickBooks Pro. And I only bring them up when I need to connect to the bank, write checks or do payroll, etc. Otherwise they are not running at all.

Intuit is notorious to putting sh_t in dumb assed weird places and then things go to a pot in a handful. If you have Quickbooks, just try to find the QBW file. Is it in the QB folder, nope, in any folder called Intuit, nope, in and data folders, nope. Its in the (user)/public/something weird folder! And you have to Google to know how to find it because no where in Quickbooks does it show the path to the company file. Grrrrrrrr! DUMB ASSES!!!
                There's a portable software app called Driver Magician lite.... get it and use it to backup all your installed drivers that are NOT included in normal windows.
                It scans your devices, and provides a list.... red marked ones are not "included" in Windows, so then back them up to a flash drive, and then you have your own custom driver recovery media.
                Or you could back them all up if you wanted.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                  What do you do when you buy a new computer?

FWIW, I believe C:/Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/[application name] is a default location for application files. I agree it's not well known, but it's not unique to Quicken.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    What do you do when you buy a new computer?
                    Dude, he's still running Windows 7!

Comment

Why not buy another computer just for HS? I had similar issues about 7-8 years ago (or whenever XP SP3 support ended). I bought a used ThinkPad with a new install of Windows 7. 2.5Ghz i5 with 4GB memory. It only runs HS and iTunes. I upgraded it using the free upgrade to W10 several years ago without issue. It has a battery so if the power glitches, it keeps going. I bought a dock for it so I would have more ports. Being a laptop, it is fairly small and takes up very little room. ...and it has its own Keyboard Video and Mouse.

Comment

Way back moved Homeseer 2 to Windows 2003 standard 32bit server. Never failed me.

Now running Linux but testing Windows HS3-4 and using Windows 2016 standard server and lately trying Windows Enterprise.

I like them both and there is no fluff, no eye candy and just the meat of the OS which I personally like.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I get trying to keep things going and constantly updating, but there comes a time to say when...

Take a look at this: https://www.amazon.com/CHUWI-Gemini-...tronics&sr=1-3

I have two of these, one runs HS3 really well and the other is for marine charting software, works really well for that too. I wouldn't use it as a primary desktop though.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                            Why not buy another computer just for HS? I had similar issues about 7-8 years ago (or whenever XP SP3 support ended). I bought a used ThinkPad with a new install of Windows 7. 2.5Ghz i5 with 4GB memory. It only runs HS and iTunes. I upgraded it using the free upgrade to W10 several years ago without issue. It has a battery so if the power glitches, it keeps going. I bought a dock for it so I would have more ports. Being a laptop, it is fairly small and takes up very little room. ...and it has its own Keyboard Video and Mouse.
                            Would you like to Zelle or Paypal me the money to buy the new computer??? I have a monster server if you read above and I can get the Free WinDoze 10 Pro upgrade.

Free versus buy a 4th computer. You can paypal me the $1500 whenever you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                              I get trying to keep things going and constantly updating, but there comes a time to say when...

Take a look at this: https://www.amazon.com/CHUWI-Gemini-...tronics&sr=1-3

I have two of these, one runs HS3 really well and the other is for marine charting software, works really well for that too. I wouldn't use it as a primary desktop though.
                              Well for $200, it would be a good test bed breadboard machine to try things out on.
                              Do they come with WIn 10 Home or Pro, I'd need the Pro to do the advanced networking functions.

Thanks for the pointer.

But I think right now I may wait. I took my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate in for it's oil change this last Wednesday and what ya know, I came back home with a brand new (delivered to the dealer 2 day before and still in it's plastic) Santa Fe Premium. They gave me monster trade for my old one as I only put 2600 miles on it because of Covid and people don't want new cars, and finding a good used car is like hens teeth.

Either way, explaining the financials, the new safety features, lane keeping, auto speed control, engine fuel management, blind spot warnings, ya da ya do, didn't do much. It's her turn now and i know I can't do much about her buying things for a while. I never told her, I just made a spot decision and brought it home thinking she would be surprised. Well, yea, surprised is an understatement but not in the way I expected.

I'm ithe Doghouse now..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X