Weather Station Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Station Usage

I recently set up a weather station and I'm curious how others are using weather data in their HA environment. The weather station is an Ambient 2920C.

So far I've created a python script that pulls the data from the weather station every couple of minutes and stores it in a csv file. I then I have HS execute a vb script on a set time interval that compares the weather station data to limit values I set and if they are exceeded, HS issues an audio announcement.

I'm interested in other ways I can incorporate weather data.

I have a Davis weather station.
    jon00 has a script that will create and populate HS devices for the weather data from Ambient's 'Virtual Weather Station', but I don't know if that is still available.
    I use rainfall data as well as wind and temperature as input to my sprinkler software (mcsSprinklers) to adjust watering frequency.
    I use solar intensity data to modify interior lighting.
    I also use temperature and humidity data to warn of icing conditions in the winter.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael - what humidity values do you use in combination with temperature to warn of possible icing? I'm currently only using temperature as an indicator, but I definitely see the benefit of monitoring humidity as well. The weather station provides a lot of good information and I feel like I could be making better use of it.

I found an Ambient plugin so I'm going to explore that since it will simplify things greatly.

Comment

The Ambient plugin works as well as the new AK Weather plugin. I don't think that the Ambient Weather plugin (which I have) is getting updates (new features, etc.) but the AK Weather plugin is getting extensive development currently and if you use that one you will get a lot of other weather devices (like Weather Underground, etc.) included in the plugin that you can use as well. I mainly use my weather station devices to control my sprinkler system (wind, rain, etc.), attic fans, things like that. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLiles View Post
          what humidity values do you use in combination with temperature to warn of possible icing?
          It's not very sophisticated. I look for temperatures between 34 and 28, and humidity above 85%. I considered looking at the rate and direction of change as well, but decided that the benefit did not justify the effort.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Bigstevep - I wasn't aware the AK Weather plugin was compatible with Ambient, I'll have to take a look at it. As for weather data uses, I don't have a sprinkler system, but controlling attic fans is something I could benefit from.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLiles View Post
              Bigstevep - I wasn't aware the AK Weather plugin was compatible with Ambient, I'll have to take a look at it. As for weather data uses, I don't have a sprinkler system, but controlling attic fans is something I could benefit from.
              Why not put a thermostat on the fan?
              https://www.amazon.com/Ventamatic-XX...66169201&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                Why not put a thermostat on the fan?
                https://www.amazon.com/Ventamatic-XX...66169201&psc=1
                Ah I guess because I'm to lazy (and big) to crawl around up in the attic. The switches for each of my fans are on the upstairs floor so I just put in a Zwave switch in for each of them and when the temperature gets to 80 degrees outside I turn them on, when it goes below 70 degrees I turn them off. It's been working well for a few years now.

Comment

We have a Tempest. When the wind speed is above 10mph or there is a gust of 11 or higher, there is an announcement and texts to lower all the umbrellas around the pool. Have another event that lets us know how hard it is raining. Another that lets us know if it is <34 outside and turns on the pool pump. Haven't had the Tempest long enough to go crazy yet.....

Comment

Working...
                  X