How to send text messages out of HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to send text messages out of HS4

Is there an easy way for sending out text messages from HS4 ?

Thanks,

With email to text. There are some other solutions but I don't recall them.

Comment

Greetings puma,

Here is one way using text.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-05-18 02-06-28.png
Views:	1022
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	1474998

Hope this helps,

Roger D

Comment

Thanks for the response(s) so far, however I'm looking for an instant messaging to my iPhone and not e-mail.

Comment

You can send it via MMS. Proper address syntax depends on carrier:

AT&T: @text.att.net
          Verizon: @vtext.com (or @vzwpix.com for photos and video)
          Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
          T-Mobile: @tmomail.net
          Google Fi: @msg.fi.google.com

Comment

I send an email to nnn.nnn.nnnn@text.att.net to send text messages to my phone frequently, and am happy with the reliability and timing.
            tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
              I send an email to nnn.nnn.nnnn@text.att.net to send text messages to my phone frequently, and am happy with the reliability and timing.
              For me, texting is mostly reliable. Mostly = not consistent enough in my book. Of course, YMMV.

For important notifications, like an alarm going off, power interruption, or computer running Blue Iris goes down, I use the Pushover app. That's been rock-solid for me.

Comment

Originally posted by puma View Post
                Thanks for the response(s) so far, however I'm looking for an instant messaging to my iPhone and not e-mail.
                Well, you email to get a text. jgreenberg01 listed the domains depending on your carrier. Before that you put your phone number.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. Didn't know about e-mail to text service by carriers. Tested my Verizon service and it does work from my email client. Next question would be what e-mail client is used by HS4 and how reliable and how fast is it.

Comment

puma,

It would be difficult to answer the reliability and speed questions. What you can do however is create an event to send an email every hour or so and include the current system time in the email. Make sure the time is current on the system first. Then compare that information to the received time in your email client to gather the data for your exact system. This will also let you know if an email doesn't make it through.

Roger D

Comment

I didn't know HS offers an email service. In any case, you can set up your own. In the screenshot below there is nothing setup yet but that's the page to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSEmailSetting.png
Views:	972
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1475352

Comment

There is a plug-in for HomeSeer to use the Twilio API. Twilio is very reliable for sending text messages.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/l...lug-in-for-hs3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The sendemail function within Homeseer is as reliable as your connection to your ISP. The only delays you might experience would be those caused by whatever message routing occurs between your ISP and your cell provider, and are out of your control no matter what method you choose to use.
                          At one point I thought I had reason not to trust Homeseer with the task, so I coded my own Send Email function using VB.net. It's about two dozen lines of code, including error trapping.
                          I've just had a look, and it seems I'm still using my code in one of my scripts: When my doorbell is pressed, I collect two images from a wireless camera and email them directly to my phone. I've never accurately measured the delay in receiving the images but any that might exist are strictly network related and do seem to be negligable.
                          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
                            There is a plug-in for HomeSeer to use the Twilio API. Twilio is very reliable for sending text messages.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/l...lug-in-for-hs3

I assume I'll need to install Twillio app on my iPhone, correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by puma View Post

I assume I'll need to install Twillio app on my iPhone, correct ?
                              There is no app needed - the messages will come across as normal messages on your cellphone. Twilio is a text messaging service that the HomeSeer Plugin talks to. You can setup an account with Twilio, get your authorization token, input the configuration information in the plugin, and use event actions to send out SMS text messages. The benefit is this is a direct connection to a text messaging service. Email to text has many bottlenecks and points of failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X