Best WiFi Switches and Dimmers for Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best WiFi Switches and Dimmers for Home Automation

What WiFi lighting switches and dimmers are folks using and are you happy with them? Looking for some that do not require internet connectivity to work, but DO work with Alexa. Eventually this building will have internet and several Echos. Really just looking for quality.

I have been happy with the TP Link wifi plugs, and the TP Link plug in works well with HS (and no internet required with the plug in).

(You do realize that internet capability is required in order to have Alexa control them.)

Comment

Thanks, I'll add TP-Link to the list

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
      (You do realize that internet capability is required in order to have Alexa control them.)
      Indeed. Currently this new building does not have internet, but it does have WiFi.

Comment

Pick any consumer grade WiFi dimmer/switch and you likely will not be able to get a replacement when something happens to it next year. If you search the industrial marketplace the products are more geared to quality which includes ability to replace them in the future. A hint is ability to find different color faceplates. White is now in vogue. It had been ivory and then almond. If white is the only thing the company sells then it likely is not one you want for a long term install. Great to play with, but not something to install everywhere. In the same line of thinking you may be dissatisfied with 2.4GHz and associated capability in the future when WiFi has progressed for next decade technology.

Comment

Good words, Michael. That's an interesting conclusion. Makes sense.

Comment

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I dont like any of the wifi switches or plugs on the market. The issue is that if you are dependent on them sending a status change to homeseer when turned on/off, it can take up to several minutes before homeseer polls the device to update status.

I've been using shelly1's basically for two reasons. First, status update is instantaneous if the shelly is set to use MQTT and the MQTT plugin is installed in homeseer. Second, you can use your existing switches with the shelly. There's no need to worry about colors matching.

I've also been buying the Sonoff S31 smartplug which can easily be flashed with Tasmota firmware so as to use MQTT when talking to homeseer.

I guess there's a third reason why I use MQTT. Most of the off the shelf smart plugs phone home to their motherships even when used from homeseer. The lone exception I've seen is the tplink modules. But even they have issues. If you block them from accessing the internet, they just flood your network with pings trying to contact their mothership but they do continue to operate. Using MQTT gets around all that and keeps control within your home network. You wont lose control of your house when the internet dies.

I've been really dissatisfied with z-wave. I ripped out all my z-wave modules and went with wifi and couldnt be happier.

Comment

It's very hard to beat Lutron systems for lighting. Look great, and work very reliably. If the Wifi is down, all the lighting controls still work. Family will not be upset with you! This is not just a big deal when you have an internet or router outage, but also for the time when you want to sell your house. The Lutron switches and lights will work just fine if a non automation geek buys your house. Any of these wifi, zigbee, zwave systems will have to be ripped out and replaced. Not so with Lutron.

And with their gateway, there is great automation support on all platforms. Outside lights for landscaping, sure, go with zigbee (my favorite and most reliable) or maybe wifi. But for interior lights, Lutron is really the best choice.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dmagerl View Post
                ...I've been using shelly1's basically for two reasons. First, status update is instantaneous if the shelly is set to use MQTT and the MQTT plugin is installed in homeseer. Second, you can use your existing switches with the shelly. There's no need to worry about colors matching.....
                I am not too familiar with Shelly devices, but aren't they little 1x1x 1/2" boxes? Where do you put them? What happens when someone manually turns off the old light switch? I like the idea of them and I think they could fix a few unique situations we have. This installation is in a place where few if any have had automation before AND I need to be able to use the switches/dimmers as switches/dimmers. Still might be able to use them in a few places. THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
                  It's very hard to beat Lutron systems for lighting...... Lutron is really the best choice. Good luck.
                  Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X