Recommendation on fire alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation on fire alarm

Can anyone recommend good wireless fire alarm sensors.
    I do have an existing Honeywell alarm system with wired sensors for motion, doors, windows and flood. I do have also the cheap smoke detectors that are stand alone and not connected to the system.
    The Insurance Co. now requires the smoke/fire detectors to be connected to the system and monitored as well.
    I do not have wires going to the locations of the smoke detectors. The new sensors must be wireless. Locations would be hard to reach so long battery life would be one of the priorities.
    Thanks.

I use the Honeywell 5800 family of wireless sensors with my ELK-M1; they work well.
    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
      I use the Honeywell 5800 family of wireless sensors with my ELK-M1; they work well.
      Is there some wireless hub to connect them to wirelessly and than connect the hub (dry contact preferred) to my exiting system. I'm sure that there is wireless module in your Elk system, however I'm not sure I can get one and integrate it in my system but this is just my guessing. Open to learn more. I can easily integrate anything with dry contacts.

Comment

What is the model of your Honeywell system?
        tenholde

Comment

Honeywell Ademco VISTA 20P

Comment

Honeywell smoke & heat sensors:
            https://www.alarmgrid.com/browse/smo...ands/honeywell

Wireless receiver for 20p:
            https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-5881enh

Wireless transceiver (I have this one):
            https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-5883h

Combo transceiver/control panel:
            https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-6160rf

Comment

https://youtu.be/K_dqpSWwzIs
              tenholde

Comment

Not exactly your thread...sorry.

Are you getting insurance discounts for things being monitored? Last I checked we can't get that in Colorado. It doesn't sound like what you need, but I use these..

First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Wireless Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery Operated

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                  How long do the batteries last on the wireless sensors?

Comment

I have one 5806 smoke detectors, five years old. Haven't replaced battery yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
                      Are you getting insurance discounts for things being monitored? Last I checked we can't get that in Colorado. It doesn't sound like what you need, but I use these..

First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Wireless Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery Operated
                      I have been running two of these in the living quarters area of my shop for a couple of years. I've had good results so far, though I'm not totally comfortable with any fire protection solution that depends on HS. It's just not as reliable as my OmniPro II system component. On the plus side, HS offers more flexible response options than Omni. I do have 9 more units of these that I plan to mount in my home beside the wired, but out of date, units that connect to my Omni. My Omni and HS3 talk to each other (thanks, Rob Mason!), so there is some redundancy....

I get 6-12 months service from the batteries. Each unit requires 2 AA batteries. The next time I replace them, I'll use Energizer Ultimate. Three times the cost, but (they say) three times the operational life.

One reason why battery life is not better: these units send a heart beat message to z-wave hub every two hours.

Comment

I cleaned up my house from everything Z-wave. Two full buckets of useless HS100 sensors, Repeaters, Power outlets etc. Never worked reliably and correctly in a large house. Funny old HS3 had "daily "optimization" procedure for Zwave" C'mon walls don't move, furniture doesn't move what makes one day different from another as far as waves go? This fact alone points to how unreliable the whole technology is. Mesh my arse... Never meshed never worked. Will never ever touch this technology that is becoming obsolete anyhow.

Comment

I have some Cooper Wiring z-wave dimmers that sometimes loose connection. Pretty annoying but I blame it on Cooper Wiring. I am sticking with them because I like the design. All other z-wave devices work quite well. Granted, our house isn't large and it's all wood and sheetrock rather than bricks and concrete. The only reason I would see z-wave going away is because of the cost and people like WiFI. Otherwise I think it does what it is supposed to do. Having said that, if I had the choice of wiring a smoke alarm I definitely would do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X