Why are my printers Alexa devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are my printers Alexa devices?

So I have been trying to figure out how to Alexa to add a virtual HS device. Haven't figured it out, but I have been scouring the Alexa device list looking for it. What I did find were my printers.... Not sure which Alexa skill looks for such things but I am wondering what Alexa could do with a printer? I haven't found any way to interact with it. Does anyone interact with their printer in some way via Alexa?

Holy Cr@p! I just asked, "Alexa, Print Something" and a test page was sent to the printer.....

UPDATE: It is a list of some of the thing Alexa can print ranging from a grocery list to coloring pages. Pretty old-school....

Comment

That's odd that printers show up. Your posting had me check as well...however my network printer doesn't show up.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        That's odd that printers show up. Your posting had me check as well...however my network printer doesn't show up.
        I have three network printers. Two Brother lasers and a Canon AIO. Only the Canon shows up. I did not do anything on purpose to add the Canon..... Years ago, before cell phones, this would have been GREAT to print out grocery or hardware store lists... Looks like it is now geared toward kids as it can print puzzles, mazes, and coloring pictures.

Comment

Amazon.com: Print with Alexa: Amazon Devices & Accessories

This was released in September of last year. Maybe you read about it then and said "Alexa discover my printer".

Comment

Nope. I just got that printer a month ago and I just spent the last hour looking at everything Alexa thinks I've said to her from that day forward and until yesterday, the word printer never came up. Maybe when you just say Alexa Discover, it looks for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post
              Maybe when you just say Alexa Discover, it looks for everything.
              I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Comment

I am wondering if Amazon has provided any info on how this new feature works. 😉 Perhaps Google could help find the answer.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=198202...bttns_lrn_prin

Comment

"Low Supply Notifications and Smart Reorders"

AAAH! The reason for all this silliness!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post
                      "Low Supply Notifications and Smart Reorders"

AAAH! The reason for all this silliness!
                      Yep, she keeps offering to order more ink when any of my ink runs low.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

Yep, she keeps offering to order more ink when any of my ink runs low.
                        Ugh, I THINK I have turned off all that sales stuff. Hopefully.....

Comment

This drives me crazy, especially since my daughter's Echo Dot at college is on my account so it finds all the wireless printers in range in her dorm on the campus WiFi!

Comment

Originally posted by windracer View Post
                            This drives me crazy, especially since my daughter's Echo Dot at college is on my account so it finds all the wireless printers in range in her dorm on the campus WiFi!
                            YIKES!

Comment

Working...
                            X