Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't find how to add a virtual device or event to Alexa - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find how to add a virtual device or event to Alexa - Solved!

My apologies for being a noob, but I have spent 4 hours trying to find out how to add a device in HS3 and have Alexa recognize it. I have checked the voice checkbox for the device. Can't get an event to add either. Got all the voice stuff checked and entered, tried to "activate" it. Nothing, I have had it working before, but I cannot get it working again. It's probably some silly little thing I did or forgot to do, but I cannot find it in the forum. Would someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?

I don't think it's just you. Before when I would add a new device in HS3, I'd check the voice control, the go into Alexa (web site), do a scan for new devices and it would show up almost immediately. However, I've created a couple of devices within the last few weeks that just don't show up. I thought about unlinking then relinking but didn't take it to the next step. Got sidetracked..
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      I don't think it's just you.
      Thanks! Whew, thought I was losing my edge. ....or my mind.

I thought about unlinking then relinking but didn't take it to the next step. Got sidetracked..
      I have been seriously considering this step, but I am afraid I will lose all my groups and routines. Last time I unlinked I had to basically start from scratch again. Wish there was a way to back things up..

Comment

I just added an event to Alexa and it worked just fine. Be sure to say Alexa run speak when executing events. The "run" keyword is required.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_102259.jpg Views:	4 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	1477878
        Attached Files
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          I just added an event to Alexa and it worked just fine. Be sure to say Alexa run speak when executing events. The run keyword is required.
          Keyword "Activate" will also execute an event.

Comment

I just added an event to Alexa and it worked just fine. Be sure to say Alexa run speak when executing events. The "run" keyword is required.
            Thanks for the post. I still must be doing something wrong somehow. I set up an event that looks EXACTLY like the above and I cannot get it to show up on the Alexa side (supposed to show up as a scene?) and run/activate speak only confuses Alexa.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post

Thanks for the post. I still must be doing something wrong somehow. I set up an event that looks EXACTLY like the above and I cannot get it to show up on the Alexa side (supposed to show up as a scene?) and run/activate speak only confuses Alexa.
              Post a picture of your event so we can see if anything is missing.

Comment

Here ya go. Like I said, it looks just like yours! :-)

Comment

For grins, I thought to try this event but got the following.
                  Type/Error Message/Source
                  Jun-06 8:45:06 AM Error In SpeakToFile: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045040
                  Is there something I'm missing?
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

You seem to have gotten farther than I did! In your alexa app, do you have something somewhere (Groups, Devices, Scenes) that has the same name as your event?

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post
                      Here ya go. Like I said, it looks just like yours! :-)
                      What version of HS are you running?
                      Did you try logging into https://alexa.amazon.com/ on a PC and do a remove all and then a discover on both your devices and scenes?

Comment

Type/Error Message/Source
                        Jun-06 8:45:06 AM Error In SpeakToFile: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045040
                        This is most likely caused by running on a server platform that doesn't include some of the needed software for speech. Try another action like write to the HS log or control a light.

Comment

Yeah... actually you're probably right as I'm running win2k16. No big deal. There are other possible solutions such as Jon's voice monkey.
                          Just thought I'd try. I have a mature system which runs otherwise flawlessly.

CountryPlace , i just clicked on run event manually. Perhaps this isn't the way to invoke this... thought you could.

Robert

Comment

What version of HS are you running?
                            HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548 (Windows)

QUOTE=Rupp;n1478266]Did you try logging into https://alexa.amazon.com/ on a PC and do a remove all and then a discover on both your devices and scenes?[/QUOTE]

Not going to do that. I recently spent a few hours doing just that and I don't want to have to recreate all the groups again. If there was a way to save them, I would. Getting this to work is not as important as not having to recreate all the groups again. But, THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

For a couple of weeks (until two days ago), Alexa had been becoming less and less reliable; returning with "<device> is not responding" to nearly my every command. I hadn't been adding devices during that period because, well; what would be the point?
                              Finally, ready to scrap the whole voice control project, I removed the SmartHome skill from Alexa, and re-added it. The difference was instantaneous. Everything has worked flawlessly ever since.
                              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                              X