Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matter: Is there a HomeSeer technology roadmap or even a plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

Adding an interface to HS is pretty simple. I use the JowiHue plug in for HS fro Zigbee and it works great. Homeseer doesn't need a technology "plan", they need to be flexible to allow users to adopt whatever technology is current to their area. No doubt Matter or whatever new standard pops up will be accessible via a plug in.

And likely via a Node-RED package as well.

+1 for JowiHue and Zigbee.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

Interesting to see what Eric from Inovelli has to say about Z-Wave going forward:

"This brings up the question – why do you sell Z-Wave then?

This is one we’re wrestling with internally – and we’ve landed on the strategy of selling Z-Wave to security companies who require the security that Z-Wave offers and then if the home automation enthusiasts want Z-Wave, they can certainly have them.

However, our focus from a consumer standpoint is going to be ZigBee/CHIP/Matter as that’s where the big dogs are playing and where we can fill more of the gaps in the industry."

I'm amazed that Eric is still active. Innovelli has had it's ups and downs. Interesting take so I assume there will be more Zigbee stuff coming out from them soon.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

I'm amazed that Eric is still active. Innovelli has had it's ups and downs. Interesting take so I assume there will be more Zigbee stuff coming out from them soon.
        They appear to be in the process of completing some sort of partnership/merger which will give them the cash to get things rolling again but with some new oversight and likely a less ambitious roadmap. I think Zigbee is going to be their main focus now.

Comment

I wish HS would care more about Zigbee. They don't seem to care much about a pretty major technology. Maybe hire @JowiHue. And integrate Alexa without having to resort to node-red... Zigbee, Alexa, Google, etc are some pretty major things that need to built into HS...

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
            I wish HS would care more about Zigbee. They don't seem to care much about a pretty major technology. Maybe hire @JowiHue. And integrate Alexa without having to resort to node-red... Zigbee, Alexa, Google, etc are some pretty major things that need to built into HS...
            What do you mean? Alexa and Google are integrated right into Homeseer..... And Homeseer has a native Zigbee plugin.
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

No announcements through Alexa unless you use stuff like node-red or voice monkey. As for Zigbee there is very limited support for devices which is why I think HS should acquire the JowiHue plugin (or hire him).

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                No announcements through Alexa unless you use stuff like node-red or voice monkey. As for Zigbee there is very limited support for devices which is why I think HS should acquire the JowiHue plugin (or hire him).
                I use google home for announcements. Alexa sort of locks it down a bit. Voice monkey requires their servers. Not really a homeseer issue, just Amazon made some choices with alexa that make it a poor solution.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Honestly I would not use any solution that depends on a LAN or the Internet for my primary voice announcements. Too many potential points of failure. The Homeseer voice engine combined with good quality voice fonts is one of the things that sets Homeseer apart from the other platforms that all seem to struggle with TTS quality or reliability. I would not be satisfied with any of the TTS option that are currently available with Hubitat, Smartthings, or Home Assistant for example.

Comment

Honestly I would not use any solution that depends on a LAN or the Internet for my primary voice announcements. Too many potential points of failure. The Homeseer voice engine combined with good quality voice fonts is one of the things that sets Homeseer apart from the other platforms that all seem to struggle with TTS quality or reliability. I would not be satisfied with any of the TTS option that are currently available with Hubitat, Smartthings, or Home Assistant for example.
                    I am pretty happy with the Chromecast TTS. I use the AT&T voices and have several Google homes. My wifi network is extremely reliable- so I have no issues so long as the power isn't out. They are not all on UPSes.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Here is a USB stick, may be a way to get HomeSeer on the Thread map, allowing Thread door locks to be viewed/automated in HomeSeer: http://76.227.212.195/products/corte...m358-usb-stick

Comment

I guess we can start asking about someone writing a Matter plug-in once devices start being certified.

Official news, but the page is being a bit unreliable at the moment: https://csa-iot.org/newsroom/matter-arrives/

https://9to5google.com/2022/10/04/ma...certification/

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/4/2...-google-launch

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/04...dard-launches/

Comment

• TC1
                          TC1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by risquare View Post
                          Thread is a low-power, secure, and scalable networking protocol that is specifically designed for the IoT. It provides a mesh network that allows devices to communicate directly with each other, reducing the dependence on a central hub or gateway.
                          Hello, Zigbee is calling. They want their marketing materials back
                          Zigbee has been doing this for years, in both industrial and residential installations. I've got tiny Zigbee sensors that haven't had their battery replaced in about 2 years. And you do know that you can bind Zigbee devices directly to each other, bypassing a hub for control. And that Thread/Matter was based on the IEEE spec for Zigbee and grew from there.

As wpiman pointed out, many of us have very robust and capable home automation networks based on the tried-and-true standards that exist today, that have had over a decade to work out the kinks. The fact that some people have problems with implementation doesn't mean the standards don't work. If and when Matter reaches critical mass, that will be awesome. But until then, the rest of us will continue to grow out our home automation empires... as long as WAF remains high

• JimSpy
                          JimSpy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                          Matter is a protocol that sits on top of other devices and protocols in order to send all your data to the tech giants involved in its creation to provide better marketing data for targeted advertising... I mean interoperability.
                          I almost bought that....almost...

• pistacheL0
                          pistacheL0 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My use case for matter would be to send any homeseer device to the matter network, so they would communicate locally with homekit and alexa

Matter 1.0 was released today. Any word yet if HomeSeer will support Matter in the future?

Jim

Comment

• TC1
                          TC1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by Jakob.Sand View Post
                          Aqara is now Matter compliant - I would love to use HS as the control of Aqara sensors (FP2) - when do you plan to release the Matter support ?
                          To be more specific, their hub is now a Matter bridge and does the translation to devices like the FP2. The devices themselves (for now) will not be changing. You could use their hub today and talk to it via HomeKit and other methods.

• Bigstevep
                          Bigstevep commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You can already use and control Aqara motion sensors with MQTT. I use their P1 motion sensors and the FP1 sensors. I really like the Aqara P1 motion sensors as they are very configurable, fast and have two batteries so supposedly 5 years battery life. My oldest ones have been online for six months now and the batteries are still at 100% in high activity areas. Just make sure that you get the P1 variety and not the standard Aqara motion sensors as they have one battery and aren't configurable. You can also use a Hubitat hub with a community driver to set them up as well with the Hubitat plugin. I don't know about the FP2 as I don't have one.

• KindaInControl
                          KindaInControl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by TC1 View Post

To be more specific, their hub is now a Matter bridge and does the translation to devices like the FP2. The devices themselves (for now) will not be changing. You could use their hub today and talk to it via HomeKit and other methods.
                          Does anyone know if this HomeKit integration with the Aqara hub will support triggering HomeSeer events using the Aqara FP2 sensor's Zone Positioning functionality?

Here's how Aqara describes this functionality. It sounds like it has amazing potential for Events!
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	205.6 KB ID:	1611650
                          Now having said that, notice here that only Aqara Home has "Full function"​ listed, vs. the other hubs and ecosystems only supporting Precense/Presence Light... (So the question I have is if this Zone Positioning info will make it through to HomeSeer from Aqara Home.)
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	298.9 KB ID:	1611653

cc
                        tenholde

Comment

Wow, what I've missed. This thread was quite active when Matter was just a hype and not so today when Matter is a reality.
                          I personally don't view HS today as a technology conduit as it used to be for X10 and Z-wave. HS is rather a convenient tool for non-programmers to manage devices, triggers, events, routines etc. In this regard HS is becoming more and more technology agnostic and doesn't need "technology roadmap" to adopt Matter.

While Matter alliance did significant work at lower levels of the OSI model implementing Thread, 6LoWPAN etc. it kept the top layers of the IP.
                          As far as Matter is IP based than it implements TCP and UDP as transport layers protocols and HTTP, MQTT, Telnet, SSH as application layer protocols.
                          All of the above protocols are supported by Big6 plug-in for HS4. Hence as a matter of fact Matter is already supported in HS4 trough Big6 plug-in.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X