Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not HA, But with all the IT expertise ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not HA, But with all the IT expertise ...

I believe I have a typical Email setup with an ISP that provides 1 email address. I do want to download the email into my outlook client and automatically remove it from the server so I do not need to periodically clean out the server. My wife also want to view the email, but often it is downloaded to my client before she views it from her computer.

While I did not know any of the details of Microsoft Exchange it seemed that that would be the solution to the problem where Exchange gets the mail from the ISP and then our clients from Exchange. I dusted off an old computer and installed Windows Server and Exchange and did some things to define a Domain which I have really no understanding of the implications. After defining a user in Active Directory I could see Exchange tabs and what looks like an email address at my Domain name I made up.

This all seems like a long way to go just to be able to share email between 2 computers on the same LAN. Should I keep on going down this road and if so how do get from an email address at my dummy domain to my ISP's email? If not is there a simplier way to accomplish this objective?

Michael,
    Maybe I'm missing your point but why not use the HS built in email web page. Both of you guys and anyone else can look at the mail via a web browser from the LAN or anywhere else for that matter.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have never tried to use HS for email, but my impression of a web-based interface is that it is not as rich as the outlook client with folder management, calendar integration and the like. If hs goes out and gets the email from the pop3 server and deletes it from the server then how does outlook update meeting notices and how do I get it into my desired folder structure in outlook for later reference? If MAPI is used with HS, then which computer actually does the interogation of the ISP and where are the messages available on the LAN for the various outlook clients?

Comment

I also use Outlook, what I do is tell it not to delete the messages immediately. I'm not sure which version of Outlook you are using, but I know it is available I all of the recent ones. If you set one client to never remove messages and the other client to remove after 5 days or some other period of time, both should have the opportunity to download the messages.

This will mean that you end up retreiving each message twice and you will not have syncronized unread flags for the messages. But it should allow both PCs the chance to get the messages. As long as you are on broadband of some sort I'd think that would work.

Comment

Michael
          Wow, running Exchange to service 2 clients !
          Thats a sledgehammer to crack a nut

You are right though it is a typical setup for a home network
          Presumably since you have done this you can differentiatiate between mail for yourself and for your wife

There are many small mail servers out there you could use which will sit on any PC, even a low spec one running windows 98 or something, which will collect email from your ISP for you and handle the sending of emails from and between your PC's at regular intervals. No need for all the complcated stuff you describe

I have been using Eserv (from www.etype.net) for several years with no problems. This includes a number of components, but I just run the mail server. Works fine with Outlook & Outlook express
          Since I orginally selected Eserv I have not felt any need to change. There may well be better, cheaper even free programs out there. I generally start my searches for these sort of things at Nonags.com

Kevin

Comment

Michael, if you have Exchange, you are 3/4 of the way there. The other things you need are a domain name, an internet connection with a static IP address, and a DNS server somewhere to hold your domain name's MX record. You can do it with a dial-up, but it's miserably more difficult. A dynamic IP address also makes it harder, though I don't know how much harder.

The MX (Mail Exchange) record on the DNS server points your domain name to your IP address, so the SMTP mail comes straight to you, bypassing your ISP altogether. Anything@yourDomain.com comes to you on port 25, and you setup Exchange to associate email addresses with mailboxes. You can setup as many recipients, addresses or mailboxes as you like.

I have seven addresses going to five mailboxes, my wife has four mailboxes, and my dog has two. It works well with outlook. The nicest part is that you never need to check for mail; as soon as it comes in from the sender, it shows up in outlook.

Comment

High Maintance Pet

Rocco

Your dog has two email accounts? What kind of keyboard does he use?
              Don

Comment

Option 1(simple):If you don't mind 'sharing' email between each other (ie, you see hers, she sees yours) then setup one of the computers to leave a copy of the email on the server(yours), and the other to remove it(hers). With this there is still a possibility you will 'miss' email if the wrong computer checks it, but you will always have a copy of ALL email on one machine. You can check email 10 times a day, without 'removing' any of her email from the server.

Option 2(fancy):Since you have exchange setup, you can use it as a gateway. Configure a rule in your outlook to copy all of your email to a seperate account (hers). Configure her an account on exchange with all the appropriate info (name, etc) with exception to 'reply-to' address. Make her reply-to the same as yours (your real internet email account). When she sends email, her name will show up in other inbox's, but the reply will come to you and be copied to her. This way she gets her own pseudo email account, and a copy of all inbound emails. You could even make the outlook rules complex so only certain email was copied to her. Don't use a forward option, it will send (not copy) the email to her account.

Ryan

Comment

A lot of good ideas. The eserv-type app is what I was thinking I would have with Exchange. Leaving the mail on the ISP for 5 days is the easiest and should accomplish my objective. I would like to learn a little more about Exchange if for nothing more than technical satisfaction.

It was my understanding that for a domain name to be recognized it would need to be registered at some location and there was an annual fee associated with it. This can be directly with the authority or via a provider and get a branch of their registered domain. Am I wrong and if so then how does one make the DNS servers aware of my chosen name?

If Exchange is run locally and the Exchange Server/Computer is not running does the email stay at the sending site until Exchange comes back online? Is the same also true in the reverse with all mail to be sent remaining in queue until the transaction is complete?

Comment

It was my understanding that for a domain name to be recognized it would need to be registered at some location and there was an annual fee associated with it.
                    Yup

If Exchange is run locally and the Exchange Server/Computer is not running does the email stay at the sending site until Exchange comes back online?
                    Depends on local policy - most email servers are setup to attempt delivery for 3-5 days, regardless if failure is local or remote. This parameter can be changed and is different for every email server app.

Ryan

Comment

Wow,
                      Sorry Michael I didn't realize you needed a full blown client/server Exchange setup at home. One mailbox with an inbox is all that it required here.

Comment

Rupp, All I thought I needed was 2 inboxes. The software that was on the shelf was Exchange so not knowing any better I installed it. Now It looks like I need to setup mail for the deer, elk, chipmunk, birds, and other residents so they will be able to share with Rocco's dog.

If I elect to get myself a domain name where do I go to get it?

Comment

That's funny Michael. If your domain name means a web domain name I get ruppworld from http://www.mydomain.com. If your talking about a domain controller name I thought you could just make this up.

Michael,
                          My ISP offers up to 6 email accounts. That's one option you can check into. After you sign up for a web domain you can set up unlimited accounts. I have a catch all like *@ruppworld.com and have that forwarded to my ISP account.

Comment

Michael
                            I am sorry you have mascohistic tendencies

This is all much too much
                            you started off wanting to have 2 separate email addresses

Most ISPs allow persona@username.ispname.com and personb@username.ispname.com

So now this thread is talking Windows something server, exchange server , domain controllers, domain names and I don't know what else.

All these are things that the IT support guys go on one courses for, and want to repeat them every year

Just my pennys worth

Kevin

Comment

Michael, these days, most ISPs will register a domain name for you. I have two, Remotehead.com and MotorReflex.com.

The first one I registered through Verisign, and it cost $99 for five years. My ISP holds the DNS records on their DNS servers for free.

The second one is registered through an ISP that registered the name, provides web space (only 15 MB), 5 email addresses and hosts the DNS records for $15/month.

Comment

Working...
                              X