Power Failure and how to deal with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Failure and how to deal with it?

So last night at about 3 am our power went of for a couple of seconds. This caused all the lights in the house that are run by homeseer to turn on. How do I manage this so that the lights don't all come on when power is restored? Especially at 3 am.

Do your switch devices perhaps have a parameter setting for what state to take after a power outage? I.e., "off", "on", or "last state"? I don't experience what you're describing with my GE/Jasco and Inovelli z-wave switches.
    -Wade

Comment

What types of switches do you have?

Do you have a UPS for your system?

Comment

I do use a UPS but I need to replace the battery, which I have but just haven’t done yet. I use hue bulbs and wifi bulbs and some zwave bulbs.

Comment

I also use some zoos switches. Where would I find if they have a power recovery setting?

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
            I also use some zoos switches. Where would I find if they have a power recovery setting?
            Find your model here and drill down to the parameters documentation. Quick check of a 700 series dimmer shows such a parameter.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...earchText=Zooz
            -Wade

Comment

pcgirl65

UPS batteries are reasonably priced on Amazon / Ebay these days. I use the same brand these days for my Alarm panel and UPS's.

Powersonic has been good to me now for the last 20 years or so.

Best way to check on the type of battery you need is just open up your UPS and write down the battery type and purchase same said battery.

Here use Cyberpower, APC, Tripplite UPS's. I personally like the Cyberpower UPS and dislike the Tripplite UPS. They all do work fine.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yeah I have cyber power also. I do have the battery. I just hadn’t changed it yet. The weird thing was that even when the power was restored the devices that I have plugged into the Backup outlets wouldn’t work. I thought that it shouldn’t go to battery power unless there isn’t power. But when there is power those outlets should work. I hope that something else isn’t wrong with the UPS becauseI just bought the replacement battery for it.

Comment

The Cyberpower 1500's (3) that I have do not work if the batteries start to fail; then they just shut down when the batteries are totally depleted which is very unique.
                  I've never seen anything like this. So you need a good battery in your Cyberpower UPS for it to function correctly.

I have one Cyberpower UPS plugged in to a Windows 2016 server and it is using the Cyberpower software. The other two Cyberpower UPSs are plugged in to BSD servers which use NUT to monitor. The APC / Tripplite are connected to Linux servers and using NUT.

The 1500's have two batteries taped together at the terminal end. It is a PITA to change the batteries. There are youtube videos on doing this. Just pull out the battery pack and line up the new batteries. Remove the tape from the old batteries and cable and match the connection to the new battery pack. Take your time and do baby steps. Don't rush it.

The APC and Tripplites will power devices but only for a very short time when the batteries get depleted.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This must be what is happening then. I will be doing it tomorrow. I went to to the hue app and set all the lights to use the settings from before the power failure. Hopefully this will make sure the house doesn’t light up like a Christmas tree in the middle of the night. Not sure how to fix this for tuya bulbs or other zwave bulbs.

Comment

Yes lighting up the house at 3AM would be a PITA.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

"Back in my day", I used to spec and sell UPSs for data centers and offices. Most of the 800 mAH and larger home/small office units use this battery:

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...-sla-1270.html

CSB batteries have been around since 1987, and the company is a division of Hitachi Chemical.

Note that there are two different Faston terminal sizes, F1 (0.187" wide) and F2 (0.25" wide). Most UPSs use F2 terminal batteries.

I use these in my APC UPSs. RE: the two-battery "cartridges", don't even bother trying to take apart the old battery packs. Just put two new ones side-by-side and use common package sealing tape to wrap them together. You may need a spacer in-between the batteries to match the wiring harness's dimensions. You can also use 3M double-sided foam tape, which is what the OEMs often use.

Finally, it should go without saying, but since these are basically ~5-pound lead bricks, they must be recycled. Some auto-parts stores will take them, or your local municipality may have a hazardous waste recycling program.

Comment

A working UPS is not going to fix all the bulbs from coming on when the power is restored. MOST smart bulbs were originally built to come on when power was applied to them. That's great if you want to flip on a light switch when you walk in the door and have a light come on. It's HORRIBLE for momentary power outages. Consequently many manufacturers have new firmware that allows you to choose the state of the bulb when power is reapplied. That was the single biggest contributor to increased WAF in the history of home automation! .....at least in my house where the power goes off somewhat regularly.... Check for firmware updates for the z-wave bulbs. I don't have Hue bulbs but LiFX just came out with an update for many of their bulbs. WiFi bulbs have got to be similar. I remember it took me a while to connect to and load the updates to all 20+ z-wave bulbs in our house, but it was worth the time!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
                            "Back in my day", ...

Finally, it should go without saying, but since these are basically ~5-pound lead bricks, they must be recycled. Some auto-parts stores will take them, or your local municipality may have a hazardous waste recycling program.
                            I just bought an APC UPS battery replacement. The instructions that came with it had a URL for a battery recycling location. I went to that website and I was able to get a UPS shipping label to return the old battery free of charge. Now that is a convenience! Elliott
                            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                            "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

I just bought an APC UPS battery replacement. The instructions that came with it had a URL for a battery recycling location. I went to that website and I was able to get a UPS shipping label to return the old battery free of charge. Now that is a convenience! Elliott
                              Great! Given the premium that APC charges for their battery packs, I guess they bake in the price of shipping them for recycling.

Comment

Working...
                              X