Group Associations not working, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group Associations not working, help!

I have a number of the WD200+ dimmer switches in my house, and use the group 2 association to create multi-way circuits. This has worked great until this weekend, allowing me to have visually matching switches for multi-way circuits, instead of using the 100+ switch that does not have LEDs on it. The setup is simple - connect the "master" switch to the load, and just connect the "slave" switches to power. Then create a group 2 association for all the switches, and put the switch ID of the OTHER switches in the group, in the group members field for each switch. Works great ... until this weekend. I installed WD200+ switches on two three way circuits, followed the procedure defined above, and in both of the new circuits, the slave switch is not syncing to the master - the status on the switch (ie, the LEDs and on/off status) does not update when the master switch is activated, and the slave switch cannot control the load (ie, the master switch is not syncing to the slave switch status). I have compared the settings of the new switches to other switches in multi-way circuits that are working and I cannot see any differences. I have triple checked the ID's of the new switches to make sure I have configured this correctly. I cannot see anything wrong or different between the working circuits and the failing circuits. HELP!

One thing that can prevent direct associations from working is devices being at different security levels, ie, you have to include them in the network consistently as either secure or unsecure. One way to check is look at the Z-wave Node page, WD200+ added securely should have a speed of 100K. Also, the devices in the association should have the ability to communicate directly to each other, in other words, one shouldn't be at one end of the house the other one at the opposite end.

Comment

Neither were added w/security. FYI, I don't have a Homeseer controller, using the Samsung Smartthings hub, but I can see this information on the Samsung IDE web page. Of the two non-working circuits, in one the switches are pretty close together, in the other one there is a bit of distance between them, but comparable to the distance of another couple of 3-way circuits I had previously created in which the associations are working.

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Wfll0jm1l1Gj_o

I also have a ST Hub (v3) which is where I started, but just installed a HTPi (g2) yesterday. Interested to hear what you are seeing and if you get to the bottom of this. I currently have both platforms running (newest version of SmartThings + hub, and the HTPi G2 hub running HS4)

It has been interesting that the HS system is picking up on status changes on all my added devices, even if I or something changes them in ST or Google Home...

Comment

I think the bottom of this is Homeseer has an issue. The documentation clearly states that the switches support group 2 associations, but the most recent switches I bought don't. Tech support pretty much confirmed this and I have an open issue but I don't think they are going to do anything to address it. I'm pretty frustrated about it as I now have a couple of multi-way circuits that don't work right. I got it partially working using mirroring, but that doesn't mirror dimming, so if I want to dim the lights on these circuits the switches will be out of sync, and I can only dim from the switch that is actually connected to the load. I have other multi-way circuits where the switches work as advertised and have full syncing including dimming. I've been a fan of Homeseer until now but I'm a lot less happy with them at this point.

Comment

Have you tried the "Device Linking" function(at the bottom of the HS3 Device Status page). I use it for keeping 2 WD100's in sync.
            One advantage over associations is that all "on/off/dim" commands come from the Homeseer system, not from the switches themselves(that maybe too far away from each other).

Comment

I don't have a HomeSeer hub, I'm using SmartThings.

Comment

Working...
              X