What can I do with HS? Training? Video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do with HS? Training? Video?

Is there a "training" video or tutorial or something for HS?
    I've had it for a year and its fine for doing the relativey few things I have it doing now. But I know that I'm only scratching the surface.

How would I install a web cam on my front door? Where can I find suggestions for quality cameras that work with HS? I've googled on cameras and there are literally TONS of very cheap cameras. How do I know which one(s) will do a decent job with HS? Do they have to be IP based with and embedded server? Or can USB work?

I'd like to control my AV equipment with HS. What sort of a universal remote would do the job (RF based so I don't have to point it at something). And how do I control the AV with IR?

I want to put all my CDs into MPs and then source them to different parts of my house. How do I control that via HS?

Can I integrated control of my garage doors via HS? What hardware do I need? (nothing appears to be available from the door MFG).

I want to control my HVAC with HS. I think this is pretty easy, I just need to buy a few controllable thermostats. Any recommendations?

I prefer to use Z-Wave as it's just SOOOOOO much more reliable than X10. But I'll stoop that low to get something going since there aren't a lot of things available in Zwave yet.

I'd like to see a "recommended" vendor list from HS. Maybe us users can write up reviews on various products an give smiley faces to the good ones and thumbs down to the one that just don't work!

Eric

Eric,
    All of these questions have been covered in depth on this BB. This BB is the training video. By design a BB is more equipped to handle one topic at a time and much more likely to get a reply. I would suggest selecting the one priority desire and post a question on that and we can work from there.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Eric,

Rupp's suggestion is a very good one. I'm kind of in the same boat, new user with tons of ideas but little experience. I've posted a few questions on my "first priorities" and the folks here on the BB are terrific about helping out. This BB is one of the reasons I've decided to go with Homeseer as my control program.

Terry

Comment

We are working on offering training for HS, probably web based. Mark will have details after the first of the year after the details are worked out. It will be intended for installers, but be are open to offer any type of training desired.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

While the BB is GREAT. It is NOT training.
          It is great if I already know what I want to do.

But I'm thinking there is a LOT I can't even guess at that I can do with HS.

And in particular, what I'd really like to see is an epinions style forum for various hardware pieces. Which ones work, and which ones don't. Which one interface seamlessly with HS and which ones have never worked.

For example, some ZWave dimmers will fry themselves when the light bulb blows! I'd like to know which ones are in that category and I'll be sure NOT to buy anymore of those. yes, I can search the BB, but there is a LOT of chaff to sift thru. I'd rather see a % happy rating for various products. And some idea of how many others are using a particular piece of HW. I'd rather not be the first one and have to expend mucho time debugging it.

What I'd like to see is some sort of tutorial (web based makes a lot of sense) that goes thru HS in increasing levels of detail. Start with basic things like lighting. Then move on to HVAC control. Have a module on lawn care, which I only have to go thru if I'm interested in it. Certainly it doesn't need to be all-encompasing, but just give me some ideas on what I can do and what hardware I need and how to get started.

Even better would be detailed descriptions of several "packages" that I can then add on more modules like lego blocks. These would include the part numbers of be available to order from HS online.
          IE: Entry level package = HS-SE and the ZW starter kit.
          Basic pkg = full HS, the pro CPU, a dozen ZWave modules/switches, HSPhone.
          serious pkg = basic plus web cam, fingerprint door locks, security system, AV control, several remote controls...
          etc. etc. etc...

Comment

Just to establish the level of desire/effort, how much $$$ are you willing to spend for training?
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

There have been many posts about "How are you using Homeseer?" Threads like that should give you tons of ideas on things that can be done. Take a quick surf through the scripts forum threads and you will find idea after idea.

Once you find something that is neat to you, start at the first post and skim through the rest to get a good feel and then download the script, personalize by following the directions on forum or on a readme.txt and post in the Discussion forum questions you have on getting the capability to run.

Hardware (and software) has a lot of individual personal opinions. Rule of thumb is that if Homeseer sells the hardware and software, it will probably be good stuff and work well with Homeseer. Jury still seems to be out on ZWave.

You have posted a few neat things to get started with - pick one, use Search, and try it.

You will find that there are SOOO MANYYYY things you can do with Homeseer that it can be distracting. Post what you want to try - several will respond and give comment. Much better than a training document...hundreds of experts on call!

Comment

OK. I've been browsing around to see how I can interface a standard wired motion sensor to HS. I found the Temp08 and the SECU16 as possible boards to interface. But these seem like hobby work where I'll have to spend mucho time interfacing, scripting and such to get them into HS.

Is there a board of some kind that will connect to RS232 or USB on my PC running HS that will send a character anytime something changes on one of the motion sensor? And ideally is pre-installed (or supported somehow) by HS?

Eric

Comment

A quick way to interface standard motion sensors is to use a Power Flash Module ( somtimes called a universal sender). This alows either a contact closure or a 6 to 18v DC pulse to send an X10 signal. It has 3 modes. So when it is triggered it can eithr turn on a desired X10 address or get homeseer to respond. Flash all lights or turn all lights on. The modes and type of trigger are set by small switches on the unit. If you have only a couple of motion sensors then this might be a better solution.

Comment

There are probably 100 ways to do any one thing with homeseer and most of them would work, everyone on here has their own way of doing things and also everyone has different needs.. to say using an ocelot or powerflash module is a "hobby" way of doing something.. its just different, I personally run my motion sensors through my security panel which interfaces to homeseer (GE Caddx) and i can base events off of those sensors such as turning on a light or setting off an alarm depending on circumstances..

I went through a couple different things before I came to doing it that way, i also have a rather elaborate HVAC system, and have changed things about it a couple times as well.

Training as such would be tough because there are so many ways and so many products to do a task, HVAC for example.. RCS or HAI thermostat? some here like RCS, some like HAI, some have made their own.. which onewould you "train" on? each one installs and the plugin for homeseer works differently.

yes it can be tedious searching the BB but there is good info.. searching on "HVAC" brings back a bunch of useless posts but also some good ones etc... plus after a while you come to find that certain users have a certain area of expertise and you can email them with questions.. this I pick up just from reading posts...
                    -christopher
                    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by Ericryherd
                      OK. I've been browsing around to see how I can interface a standard wired motion sensor to HS. I found the Temp08 and the SECU16 as possible boards to interface. But these seem like hobby work where I'll have to spend mucho time interfacing, scripting and such to get them into HS.

Is there a board of some kind that will connect to RS232 or USB on my PC running HS that will send a character anytime something changes on one of the motion sensor? And ideally is pre-installed (or supported somehow) by HS?

Eric
                      You can use an ADI Ocelot with the ADI SECU16I add-on interface. HS talks to the Ocelot. The Ocelot talks to the SECU16I. The SECU16I can handle up to 16 switch closure type inputs. The hobby work is minimal, if all works according to plan. I have had some trouble with HS not reading the inputs directly, but I believe I am in the minority. Many people seem to have no problem with it. I am still using the setup above, except I did do a little CMax (cmax is a program that comes with the Ocelot, allowing you to interface with it from your computer for maintenance and rudimentary programming) coding to transfer the switch input values to a memory variable. HS had no trouble reading the variable, so, problem more or less solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X