Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a Centrally Managed Alarm

Hi there,

I have been happily using HomeSeer to manage lights and switches for a few years but now for insurance reasons I need to install a centrally managed alarm system.

I would like to integrate to whatever extent possible this required system into my HS4 setup (e.g. motion sensors turning on lights). Is it possible to do that and still have the alarm centrally managed? Do I need to have a specific alarm system installed or is most hardware compatible with this?

I know next to nothing about alarm systems and most of the info I can find is for people integrating non-monitored systems.

Thanks!

There are several options. I use the ELK M1G with the UltraM1 plugin and love it.
    tenholde

Comment

Here utilizing the OmniPro 2 and it works great. That said it is no longer supported by Leviton. It'll probably last longer than me.

The OmniPro 2 is wired to all door contact switches, PIRs et al. Central station monitoring is via dial up to VOIP line and or Cellular backup. Works fine.

Testing a Ring alarm system in house #2. Amazon owns Ring these days. Price is right and easy to install. All devices are wireless and easy to install.

The base and keypads have tiny speakers where you hear the alarm do TTS. I have created Amazon Alexa TTS events for alarm status but do not utilize the Amazon to enable or disable the alarm.

I installed a Ring to MQTT application which will work fine with Homeseer 3-4 / mcsMQTT to enable, disable and use the devices for automation.

Its been now about a year. I paid less than $300 for base system and one year of monitoring. The base unit is POE connected to the home network and it has a built in cellular backup.

Using State Farm now for many many years. The alarm discount used to be higher than it is today.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I assume you are referring to a standard home alarm panel that is programmed to notify a central monitoring station in the event of an alarm. There are several common panels that have good plug-ins that integrate them into HS. I recently switched from an older CADDX panel with dial-up monitoring to a DSC panel with EvisaLink and IP monitoring.

It's mostly a matter of choosing the panel / plug-in combination you want to use and finding an installer that is interested in working with you to get it set up to meet the insurance companies requirements and helping you connect it to the appropriate HS plug-in.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Most important for the insurance discount is a letter of certificate that indicates a service / connection to a monitoring service from the alarm monitoring company.

For a DIY installation there are a few monitoring companys out there that charge less than $10 a month for monitoring.

For reasonably priced alarms that are DIY'd and integrate to Homeseer 4 you will have to program the alarm to utilize the central service. Typically the service in question will walk you through programming the panel.

If you have an alarm company service install your alarm and configured for monitoring more than likely you will not be able to utilize it for Homeseer integration.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            If you have an alarm company service install your alarm and configured for monitoring more than likely you will not be able to utilize it for Homeseer integration.
            Good point. You noted that you know "next to nothing" about alarm systems, so I was assuming you'd want help with the installation. You will need to negotiate HS integration capability up front if you are not installing the panel yourself. (I did that with my installer.) Many/most installers make their money by charging a premium price for the monitoring service and they lock you out so you cannot defeat it. . .in the name of "security", of course.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have my own ESP8266 based device hooked to my GE Concord security system and it works more reliably than my professional monitoring service.
              However it is for my own satisfaction only and no-one else cares.
              It is more of a legal issue than technical. Your security system must be certified one and your monitoring company must be licensed. Period. No way around it.
              Insurance Co. will deny any coverage if you do not comply with the above.
              DIY devices may work but Insurance providers do not care.

Comment

Working...
              X