Local Control Z-wave Thermostat Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Control Z-wave Thermostat Recommendation

Is there a list of true z-wave thermostats that natively work with HS4?

HS sells the Trane XR524 Z-Wave Thermostat

I assume that means it is discovered like any other z-wave device and doesn't need a plugin?

Is that true of other thermostats that state they are z-wave?

You may have seen my other post...but dumping my Nest

I used to have a Honeywell Zwave thermostat (early model, big green screen). It included like a normal zwave device, no plugin needed. I did need to find the pro installer guide to get the best use out of it. If I remember correctly, you could use schedules, or use zwave, but not both. They have a newer model out now. A year ago I got an Ecobee 3, it's wifi but works well with the plugin. I wanted a "newer" looking thermostat with more features.

Comment

IMO the one of the best Z-wave thermostats ever made was the Radio Thermostat CT101

Why? It is superior to the CT100 that was widely sold in that it also functioned as an independent 7-day programmable thermostat that would work whether you have it added to a Z-wave network or not, which is great if decide to move and don;t want to remove the thermostats for the next owner.

Oh, and they are the only ones I've ever found that could run completely on batteries and last over a year without draining them. Of course if you have a C-wire at the thermostat then they can just run from that. I ran one from the C-wire and the 2nd floor from batteries.

And I happen to have two in mint condition for sale
      The only reason is that I moved up to EcoBees because my utility company was giving a great deal/rebates. And I personally like the EcoBee learning algorithms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51yonxlnb8L.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1479307

Comment

KevB & TC1 - Thanks!

I'm a bit torn between zwave only or a dependable one that uses IP. I hate "cloud" anything, but as long as it's 100% responsive ...speed is not an issue for these and that would give me two ways to access if for some reason my HS4 went down while traveling.

I "had" events that controlled it based on outside temps for my Nest that were destroyed when I factory reset my Nest. I'd probably use those vs schedules...but I've had it with what Google did to Nest.

Comment

Working...
        X